OT camera use

OT
Do you remember the 60's when only professional photographers and those with single lens reflex cameras who pretended they were like pros would in a crowd raise the camera over their heads and shoot without looking?
Now everyone does.
On 8/26/2008 6:28 PM mm spake thus:

Do you remember when only crazy people walked around talking to themselves?
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
mm wrote:

only way to get the shot. Works best with wide angle lens, obviously, but with practice you can even do it with a short telephoto.
-- aem sends...

I'm a competitive pistol shooter and sometimes go to the plinking range to practice "hip-shooting" -i.e., holding the gun near my waist and shooting at a target on the ground just based on pointing with my hand-- no aiming with the sights.
I've actually gotten quite good at it-- good muscle feedback and proprioceptive senses I guess, and can consistently hit frozen juice can sized target at 8-10 yards. That skill generalized to pointing a camera from over my head-- I can generally frame just what I want and hit the shutter release....

electric power plant, and sometimes there is no way to get behind the motors up on the racks, so I'm getting pretty good at reaching around them and judging where to hold the camera. Tony
My pocket size digital has been incredibly helpful in my HVAC/R business. Allows me to see things where I can't cram my fat head in.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Using that technique, I have taken a few, successful shots that I would have otherwise missed.
Today, with top-of-the-line, point-and-shoot digital cameras with tilt and swivel LCD displays, it is a much easier practice.
If one really wishes to look like a pro, they must have TWO SLR bodies hanging from their neck and one must have a HUGE lens. BTDT.
--
:)
JR

Size matters.