OT: Camera batteries

Page 3 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

lithium cells don't have the high self-discharge rate of NiCd and MiMH cells.The rechargeable lithium cells used in portable power tools retain a useable charge for up to 6 months. trouble is,the cell voltage is ~3.7v per cell,so not a direct replacement for NiCd or MiMH..
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Lithium ion and the common lithium AA are two different chemistries. The common lithium iron disulfide AA is 1.5 volts.

But the Lithium E2 energizers are different technology - non-rechatgeable and 1.7 volts open circuit. (1.5 volts under normal use) NiMH are 1.3-1.35 volt, alkaline 1.5, and Oxyride aprox 1.6.
I had that with a few cameras in the past and hated it (two were Fuji and I forget the other one). I swore off using digital cameras. Then I saw my niece and nephew shooting pictures all day long, day in and day out, with various Kodak Easy Share cameras that come with a single rectangular battery. I bought an HD camera by Kodak and never have a problem. The camers (I have two now) are in my brief case. I can use them for pictures, videos whenever I want -- no problem. I plug the cord into my computer every once in a while when I upload the pictures/videos and can let it charge from there -- in like 30 minutes or less. But I rarely do the charging and the camera is always good to go whenever I use it.
It's the camera, not the batteries.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Your NiMH battery is rated at 1.2V [althought it may overcharge a bit]. Your AA battery is rated at 1.5V. If the camera is using 2 batteries in series, it is expecting 3V and getting only 2.8V. A marginal operating environment. Many cameras [my Canons] are engineered with a high cutoff voltage and really need alkalines to work for the maximum period. The NiMH don't match the job.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

I wonder if his camera has a switchable mode for what type of batteries are being used?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

position compensates for the higher terminal voltage and affects ONLY the battery meter calibration.
Well, that's very interesting to know about Mr. Young's camera.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That's irrelevant. We were speculating the question if Mr. Young's camera had a setting for different types of batteries.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

also said his does)
Are you too dense to just ask?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It maybe rated 1.2 but full charge is 1.5v, just like a car battery is 75% dead at 12v and fully charged at 12.8v
ransley wrote:

And full charge for alkalines might be 1.64V. The rechargeables drop below 1.5 very quickly under load.

Ive never tested an alkaline at over 1.5 new.
Opps! Bad addition: 2.4 V vs 3.0 V.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

recommended type per the manual. Recognizing that they are rated for 1.2V, one has to assume that the manufacturer (Sony, in this case) expects it to work and provide the specified number of pictures per charge. What I have learned is that is there is a big loss in performance if the camera sits unused for quite a while. When that is the case I always recharge the installed and spare batteries before using. MLD

I'm a huge fan of the Eneloops. As far as I'm concerned the Eneloops have ended decades of personal battery hassles. A few tips:
* Buy a few to try out. But if/when you want to stock up, look out for special deals on-line or in store. I target a price point of around $2 per AA cell.
* Get a really good charger like a Maha MH-C9000. See:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm
This store is blue-chip and highly recommended.
* A good tester is useful but not essential. If you use a lot of batteries, this one is not cheap but it is excellent:
http://www.adorama.com/BYMBT1.html
I'm using Eneloops in a whole load of devices from photography equipment, to mice, to kids games, and more. No more battery frustration.
The overwhelming majority of Eneloop users seem to very, very happy, like me.
Thanks for the field report. I've heard others speak well of Thomas Distributing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus