OT: Camera batteries

Page 2 of 4
Bob F wrote:

Right, but if you go into the menu, there's a selection for alkaline, NiCads, or NiMH. Frankly, I expected better of Nikon, and I'm quite disappointed that my inquiry to them went unanswered.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:51:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Energizer E2 Lithium. Not rechargeable but good for about 400 shots on my cheap Kodak digital - and about 14 year shelf life.
Add pictures here
✖
Those might be good for backup batteries, if the rechargables run out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

IF? When! I don't even bother with rechargeables. Always end up missing a good shot because the batteries are "dead"
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:11:04 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Be careful when using non rechargeable lithium AA batteries. Not all camera manufacturers recommend them.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:32:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

provide adequate power. What's the down side?
Add pictures here
✖

They recommend not using them. "'Unusable" is the term used. Reasons...
They can leak.
They may also cause battery power indicator inaccuracy. Cause the camera to not turn on. Cause data written to the memory card to be damaged.
Add pictures here
✖

...and the digital camera repair place I sent mine to (recommended by Kodak) specifically said 'use lithium batteries'. The only time I've had problems is with alkaline or rechargeable (NiMH) - the lithium's work forever.
Add pictures here
✖

The repair place? I don't know about your specific Kodak but if the manual said to not use lithium would you still go by the "repair place's" recommendation?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 03:35:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

nickel, or NiCd batteries. Doesn't say you can't use them - and my experience so far shows they work better than alkaline or NiMH. (which are recommended). Have not been able to buy or try Oxyrides.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:55:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

ASSUMINTG the voltage is correct, why would any of the above be true? And I've never heard of one leaking (unlike both carbon/zink and alkaline) The battery level indicators are generally a joke anyway, so that's no reason (at least for me) not to use them. My Lumix says not to use Litium batteries, and it works GREAT with them. The recommended NiMH battries have a very short life and Oxyride batteries are not generally universally available (and are also not rechargeable) Oxyride batteries are BASICALLY just a high density alkaline.(with a slightly higher terminal voltage)
Add pictures here
✖
Right. they are higher voltage, about 1.7 volts.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Many users overlook the fact that, by far and away, the BIGGEST drain on the battery is the LCD display. Keep THAT turned off or, at least, set to turn off promptly and you'll enjoy much improved battery life.
--
:)
JR

Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:51:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

It depends on what camera. Some recommend NIMH others are problematic with them. Some cameras are known to have contact problems. Some cameras have settings and/or specs. for alkaline or NIMH.
What camera?
Add pictures here
✖
Panasonic Lumix LS-70. Says it's got a setting for rechargable cells. I just went back and looked. One setting (using) is alkalines or NiMH. Other setting is "oxyride" whatever that might be.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyride_battery
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 12, 11:51 am, "Stormin Mormon"

As others, I suspect the camera is bleeding them. My Kodak behaves like this. I just put batteries in before I use it and take them out afterwards. Camera's about 5 years old and not worth trying to fix and wife has a new, better one anyway.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:04:13 -0700 (PDT), Frank

in or out with NiCad or NimH - no problem with lithium.
Add pictures here
✖