OT: Camera batteries

Page 1 of 4
Been using Duracell NiMH, 2650 miliamp rating. Use them in my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I don't put fresh ones in my camera every morning, that the camera either doesn't work, or fails after very few pictures.
Do Energizer (or some other brand) work better?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ask in a camera group?
Lou
Did that. They were very helpful.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It sounds as though there is a problem with the camera and it is draining the batteries even when it is off. I had a light meter that did the same thing. Contact the factory about a repair.
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:20:41 -0400, "John Grabowski"

Even with the batterie in the bag, not in the camera, you'll have trouble. Voltage is too low and self discharge is too high - not a problem with the camera - just a mismatch to the batteries. I only use rechargeables if I'm shooting a lot of pictures in a short time and I have the charger close by with a spare set.
I used to carry a spare set in my coat pocket. Alkalines for backup batteries. I'll have to do that, I guess.
So far, I just swap em out with the two cells in my minimag, and that has gotten me going again.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Put some batteries, lastnight, in my Sanyo charger that is designed for Nimmies. Today, I took a dozen or so pictures (all flash) around the house. The camera worked fine. I conclude that the other charger wasn't completely charging the batteries.
Thanks to all who contributed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Oh, bother, that's not good news. Since the battery hatch opens easily, it sure would be easy enough for me to check for current draw.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My Nimh charge to over 1.5v, a old nicad charger isnt the same. The last ones I charged to 1.55v with a sony Nimh charger. www.batteryuniversity.com has a section on Nimh charging.

Many digital cameras have a power draw that is higher than many disposable batteries can supply. Usually it is best, if possible, to use rechargable batteries that have a high current rating and are designed for the camera.
I'd been toying with the idea of buying some cheapie Ray O Vac batteries at Walmart. With any luck, get a lot fewer photos that way.
The gooder batteries are more pricey, but likely worth the money.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't know about that. Rayovacs are what I have the best luck with. Bought four 2 years ago, and they still keep the charge longer than others. I tried some of those foreign ones on ebay and they didn't last more than a few months. I took some Duracells to Greece a few years ago, new when I left, and they never would recharge. I made do with alkalines for the rest of the trip, but that's not a lot of fun when you're in a bathing suit most of the time.
When I got home I tried the Rayovacs, and still have those and the same old charger.
However, Rayovacs are hardly cheap, at least not around here, and not on ebay. They cost the most of the lot, even at Walmart. These are NimH, not Ni-Cad. The Rayovac alkalines, however, always seem to be on sale.
On Mar 12, 10:51am, "Stormin Mormon"

How old are batteries, is camera new, how many shots do you get and with flash?. After 4 years my nimh would drain after a few months sitting. If you use it alot every day with flash it might be normal. Eneloop hold a charge for months sitting but have less capacity. After 100 or so charges performance is maybe 25% of new.

Is it a Polaroid camera? My daughters have Polaroids and they have to keep the batteries in the charger until just before they use them. I have an old Polaroid that eats batteries. They had Kodak cameras and the batteries lasted a lot longer but the cameras didn't.

My neglect, sorry. Panasonic Lumix LD-70.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have the same problem with my Nikon digital. Even the Nikon branded batteries just don't work. Workaround: use lithium batteries. Not ecologically correct but functional. I think it is a problem with the camera, even when I tell it that I'm using NiMH batteries it still is expecting a higher voltage than the batteries put out. I'm not aware of a solution. I've posted to the digital photography group and tried to contact Nikon tech support through their web site and have not received a useful answer.
nate
I think the workaround is to carry a couple set of alkaline AA cells in my coat pocket, and pop in alkalines if I get a couple dead rechargable. Or, to be more obsessive about recharging the batteries every night.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

N8N wrote:

That is a clear sign that the camera is not designed for lower voltage rechargeable batteries. It expects around 1.5 V and signals low battery when it gets down to the 1.2 V of NiMh or NiCd batteries.