OT caller-id

Page 2 of 2
Per The Daring Dufas:

I heard a standup comedian say "When a telemarketer calls, I tell them that my wife left me, the dog died, my son is on drugs, my unwed daughter is pregnant, I've lost my job, the bank is going to foreclose on the house...... and eventually THEY hang up on ME."
--
Pete Cresswell

That's a good one. I can't wait to try it out. I hope some nudnik calls soon.
On 06-20-2013 13:55, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Another comic answered a call trying to sell windows.
(pause) "Is this some kind of cruel joke?"
"No, sir, we have ..."
"My house just burned to the ground and you're trying to sell me windows for it?"
--
"I wonder how long after he hung up that it dawned on him that if the
house burned down the phone wouldn't he usable."

Sure it would. One call to the phone company and in minutes, your calls are forwarded to another phone. I've done it.
Part of the building where we leased space for our company burned down and took all the phone lines out for multiple businesses. That was Saturday. Sunday we had our numbers ringing at our other building a mile away.

People forget how good the phone company is about doing certain things, the basic phone things.
Of course, they forget partly becaue of the 10 letters a month I get trying to sell me FIOS. And other annoying things they do.
This one is a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvJQxgtJW94

Mr. Mabe is no longer with us. Want to ask you a series of questions.
One time I got a call for "name" who isn't here and never was. I told the caller she had died last week in a plane crash over Bermuda, where she was on vacation. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I heard a standup comedian say "When a telemarketer calls, I tell them that my wife left me, the dog died, my son is on drugs, my unwed daughter is pregnant, I've lost my job, the bank is going to foreclose on the house...... and eventually THEY hang up on ME."
--
Pete Cresswell

'The Daring Dufas[_8_ Wrote: > ;3081958']I have a lot of fun with telemarketers by answering the phone > as a

How do you say " retarded monkey-f*ck" in Chinese?
--
nestork

On 6/20/2013 6:49 PM, nestork wrote:

I could ask one of my Chinese pals but I'm not sure there is a way for them to say "*" asterisk. o_O
TDD
On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:50:54 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

over, the same few numbers. Always when I'm cooking or in the garden or in the bathroom or otherwise occupied!

But I always got a message that it's not a working number, or out of order, or words to that effect.

don't want to start making my through the bureaucracy if members of this NG have tried that one w/o result.

P&M
I usually get calls from Cardholder Services. The calls annoy me so I press 1 so that I can talk to them. When they want to know how much money is on my credit card, I think of a big number. $6000. I know some owe more but I'm embarrassed to say I owe that much.
I think once I said I owed on two cards and they said they couldn't help me, so now I say only one card.
When they want my account number (which isnt' the same as the credit card number, but I still wouldn't give it to them.) I say I have to go upstairs to get it. They say okay, so take a while.
Then I do a variety of things. I say, My father-in-law is here and he said I shouldn't do business with you. That's not enough to get them to stop. He said you were violating the do-not-call list, so you can't be trusted.
I went away for 8 days and none of these numbers called me while I was gone.
A couple weeks later, Cardholder Services did. When I brought up the do-not call list, she reminded me that she had told me that the credit bureau had given them my name and number. I pointed out that the credit bureau doesn't do things like that. She seemed honestly confused, so I told her her boss was lying to her. Later I admitted I owed no money, and I said, You lie to me so I lie to you. She didnt' deny lying to me.
She claimed I wouldn't actually be doing business with them, that they would just get my credit card bank to lower the interest rate. I said, So you're doing this out of the goodness of your heart. She said, Oh no, and I guess was going to tell my how they made money on it
My goal is to keep them on the phone as long as possible, either talking or especially waiting for me, and then have them get nowhere. If everyone would do that, they'd stop calling.
Anyhow, only that one last call in 3 weeks, instead of the two or three companies that used to call me.
Next time I'll eventually ask them why they call me again when I wasted their time the last time. Your boss is wasting your time. They know you can't sell me anything, but they don't bother to take my name off your list. What's the point of your calling anyone 3 times in a month. If we did what you wanted before, we can't do it again (you've already "lowered my interest rate"), and if we didn't do what you wanted before, you can be sure we won't do it this time either.

I figure it's a service to mankind. Every minute you have the girl on the line, she's not pestering some one else. I appreciate your service to your country. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
My goal is to keep them on the phone as long as possible, either talking or especially waiting for me, and then have them get nowhere. If everyone would do that, they'd stop calling.
On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 07:58:05 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

A friend of mine was laid up from a shattered ankle and foot. He was just rattling around the house bored to death. He loved telemarketing calls. He would let them do their whole pitch and then tell them he missed part of it and make them do it all again He would string them along as long as they were willing to keep explaining things to him.
Tom Mabe goes another way
http://www.digyourowngrave.com/tom-mabe-telemarketer-crime-scene-prank/
On 06/18/2013 07:55 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[snip]

I've been getting a lot of junk calls where the CallerID "name" is identical to the number. I don't answer those or where there's some meaningless business name like "WSU corp ofc".
I do have an answering machine for important calls, the junk ones almost never leave a message. Maybe they know their crap isn't any good, and anyone who has a chance to think about it won't want it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
micky wrote:

Hmmm, Called back some one you don't know? What for, how come? If I have a message like that I won't even bother listening to it, just erase it. If it really means something He'll try again when I am home. When I answer his call and if it is spam or junk call I just hang up.
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:41:28 -0400, micky wrote:

It's very situational, and I bet depends on one's age. Those who have grown up with caller ID see it as information to be used. Those who grew up when it didn't exist or was a luxury item are used to more anonymity and might see what happened as "presumptuous". In this case you could see it as someone being pro-active. Some younger folks might even take it as being deliberately ignored if he _didn't_ return the call, since he _has_ your number, after all.
A good question for Miss Manners!
On 6/18/2013 11:50 PM, default wrote:

That's a good point. I remember way back in the early days of caller ID, someone in my household apparently called a wrong number, realized it when they got the answering machine, and hung up. No big deal, right? Not so to the person who had been called by mistake. She had caller ID, so the next day she called us back and demanded to know who had called her and why. We quickly figured out that one of the kids must've dialed a wrong number, but she wouldn't accept that explanation. She just kept going on and on about it. Frankly, she was a bit of a loon.
In this case you could see

I've got relatives who grew up in the pre-answering machine era and believe it is very rude to use answering machines instead of personally answering the phone every time it rings. So they will not leave messages. They'll call, hang up when the machine answers, then call again until someone finally picks up.
I heard a similar story. Someone with ID blocking had been making harassing calls. Second caller (totally innocent of any harassing) called the wrong number, and hung up when s/he realized the mistake. The harass victim got the number off the call ID and "hah, I finally got you, you miserable SOB" and all kinds of attitude.
As to the original poster, I thought the "not important, will call you in a couple days" should have been respected. Rather than call back. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]
Per Stormin Mormon:

calls. Second caller (totally innocent of any harassing) called the wrong number, and hung up when s/he realized the mistake. The harass victim got the number off the call ID and "hah, I finally got you, you miserable SOB" and all kinds of attitude.
I suspect Miss Manners would say that the proper thing to do when connected on any call is say "Hello, this is John Smith calling for Dave Jones".... and, once the error surfaced, apologize - and, maybe confirm that they really misdialed and aren't working from an incorrect number in the first place.
Saves time and hard feelings, IMHO.... especially after the second or third call to an incorrect number.
--
Pete Cresswell

micky wrote:

No big deal.
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin