OT caller-id

Page 1 of 2
OT This afternoon I called someone I don't know. His phone message suggested my leaving a message, or my emailing him (and he gave his email address). The message I left said I would call him back in a couple days and that it was nothing urgent. I didn't leave my number, mostly because I'm in and out all day.
About a half hour later, he called me. I concluded and he verified that he got my number from caller-id. How do you feel about being called back the way he called me back?
I tend to feel he should just ignore the phone number. I know it's probably going to be there, and when it's essential, I use *67 to suppress it (though *67 doesn't work with 800, 877, etc. numbers) but I feel like I shouldn't have to do that all the time and others should just act like the number isn't there, in the same way as if they accidentally read a personal note someone has written or accidentally see someone of the other sex undressed.
What do you think?
**Does it matter that the guy I called is someone who works at a local community organization? I had to talk to the receptionist at the organization to find out who was in charge of a particular part of what they do, and she connected me to his extension, where I got his recorded message.
On 6/18/2013 1:41 PM, micky wrote:

depends on where you live, but you can often suppress caller ID permanently. Then you have to *xx to enable it when the callee refuses blocked calls.
On 6/18/2013 3:41 PM, micky wrote:

Mountains and mole hills come to mind for some reason...
So you called him and wanted something so what's the deal?

I would have thought it was good of him to call back. Sounds good to me also. I wold not call someone if I did not want to get intouch with them.
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:56:58 PM UTC-7, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Ditto

I think it was nice of him to contact you. Evidently you wanted to have some sort of conversation or you would not have called and he was just trying to assist you.
You started it and now want to walk away untouched?
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:20:18 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It totally depends on the situation. If you were calling the VD clinic, then it's probably not appropriate for them to use caller id to call you back. But since it was some community organization and you were apparently seeking to have a conversation, for the guy to call back seems reasonable. Today the far bigger problem is people not calling back and being unreachable.
PS: It wasn't the VD clinic, right?
What everyone else said.

So you don't know this guy but you called him and you know he works at a local community organization.
Sounds like you know a fair amount about him.
You should know that phones identify themselves by default. By calling him, you are giving him your phone number.
I don't see a problem.
If having caller ID bothers you I'm sure there are ways to fix that. I get calls with no caller ID lots of times.
--
Dan Espen

Per micky:

I'm too cheap to pay for CallerID, but if I had it, I wouldn't even *think* of answering a call that did not display a number.
Granted that solicitors sometimes spoof CallerIDs, but no CallerID would be a red flag for me.
--
Pete Cresswell

You'd miss some important calls. Some of the missing ID are from people or places that I want to hear from. One recently was to ask about shipping information for a medical device for my wife. It was important that she had it and I could have easily ignored the call using your criteria.
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:20:15 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have caller ID and use it to screen calls all the time. I've never missed a call that was of any importance. It's rather odd that a business would hide it's caller ID. Even if I miss something once in 5 years, I'd rather do that then take all the BS calls. Plus, if it's important, ie the shipping call, they leave a message.
On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 07:11:57 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Well, you don't know if you missed something or not.
It is not always the business that is hiding the ID, the phone companies don't seem to be doing such a good job. We have size lines at work. Four show the company name, two show "unknown". Those two lines were new about 6 years ago. Maybe they just go behind a little.
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

I don't answer calls that only display a toll free number.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 06/19/2013 08:21 AM, willshak wrote:
[snip]

I don't either, unless the name is of a company I'm currently doing business with.
Also, some junk calls have the "name" as a city and state (like "OGDEN UT"). If it's just "wireless caller", it may be a person. I answer those unless from a toll-free number.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

My grandson uses WalMart pharmacy. When his prescription is ready for pickup, they call and it shows as a toll free number. I guess you'd never know if your prescription is ready.
On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:35:26 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ed (and other victims)
I am going nuts these last few months with ***daily ***robotic calls. Over & over, the same few numbers. Always when I'm cooking or in the garden or in the bathroom or otherwise occupied!
After a while, I started screening calls, figuring that real people will leave a message - I hope!
At first I called the incoming number back to tell them to stop bothering me. But I always got a message that it's not a working number, or out of order, or words to that effect.
1. So how come a number shows in the window of my phone, if it doesn't exist?
2. Is there any way to track them down?
3. Would the state's Public Utility Commission be the place to complain? I don't want to start making my through the bureaucracy if members of this NG have tried that one w/o result.
4. Is there ANYBODY a victim can turn to?
Thanks for any wisdom.
HB

Per Higgs Boson:

Increasingly, no.
Some years back, the do-not-call lists seemed tb effective.
But now the solicitors have gone offshore and/or hide behind VOIP and multiple relays. I've got a small collection of lame-sounding letters from the Penna DNC list people to that effect.
I think the only answer is challenge-response - plus a willingness to forgo whatever occasional useful information may be communicated by a robocall instead of email.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:50:54 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

don't want to start making my through the bureaucracy if members of this NG have tried that one w/o result.

From everything I've read, you are pretty much screwed. I was getting some repeat calls from a couple, like "Card Services" so I'd just ignore them.
Hartford Courant had an article where a company was spoofing and using the name of a local resident and his phone number. People would be more likely to answer that way. You can make any name and number appear.
On 6/19/2013 9:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

don't want to start making my through the bureaucracy if members of this NG have tried that one w/o result.

I have a lot of fun with telemarketers by answering the phone as a crazed Chinaman screaming at them, "Who are you?! Why you call here?! Why you bodda me?! You don't call here no mo! and on and on. ^_^
TDD