OT: buying used pick up

Page 1 of 2
Good Morning Everyone:
My boyfriend saw and ad on Craigslist for a 2001 Tacoma for $2900. He says there is nothing wrong with it and the title is clear. He is either in or about to go to Afghanistan and so a company named "WorldPay" will be taking care of the transaction http://www.worldpay.com /. He said we send the money to Worldpay, they send us the vehicle for us to inspect for 5 days. If we want the car, we authorize Worldpay to pay him, otherwise the car gets sent back. We are in OK, the car is in AL.
Does this sound like a scam to you?
TIA, Bonnie in OK
Bonnie wrote: ...

Maybe, maybe not, but it's still pretty silly -- there aren't any more pickups left in OK?
: Bonnie wrote: : ... : : > ...We are in OK, the car is in AL. : > : > Does this sound like a scam to you? : ... : : Maybe, maybe not, but it's still pretty silly -- there aren't any more : pickups left in OK?
Foreign pick ups are astronomical in price here I guess because of their better than average gas mileage...sales people aren't even buying them at auctions because they won't be able to make much profit. $2900 for a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 is a great deal. Certainly worth pursuing.
Bonnie wrote:

So then why would it so cheap in AL? They don't know about gas mileage or have demand for pickups there?
Greed is a necessity for any scam; sounds like ya' got it in spades.
on 4/15/2008 10:09 AM dpb said the following:

It's a state law in OK, that every household have at least one pickup. Having a rifle rack in the rear window is still under consideration in the state law. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Bonnie wrote:

How about you running for president?
: > : on 4/15/2008 10:09 AM dpb said the following: : > : > Bonnie wrote: : > : > .... : > : > : > : >> ...We are in OK, the car is in AL. : > : >> : > : >> Does this sound like a scam to you? : > : > .... : > : > : > : > Maybe, maybe not, but it's still pretty silly -- there aren't any : > more : > : > pickups left in OK? : > : > : > : > -- : > : : > : It's a state law in OK, that every household have at least one pickup. : > : Having a rifle rack in the rear window is still under consideration in : > : the state law. :-) : > : : > : -- : > : : > : Bill : > : In Hamptonburgh, NY : > : To email, remove the double zeroes after @ : > : > Hey, Mo'fo'. What do ya'll have against guns? I'm originally from the : > Bronx so don't screw with me. LOL. I've been rednecktified over the last : > 8 months. The last vestiges of my East coast roots are 1] my Camry 2] I : > have all my teeth and 3] I can think faster than anyone in this state. : > I'm hoping to hold onto these for a long time. : > : > My boyfriend...that's another story...sweetest redneck you'll ever meet. : > : > Now can you answer my original question? : > : > bonnie : > : > : Hmmm, : How about you running for president?
If you can raise the money, we can try for 2012. "My fellow Americans, I promise to put a gun rack in my Presidential Limo." (but no shooting defenseless animals, only degenerate humans)
NOW CAN WE GET BACK TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION GUYS? :-(
bonnie
[...]
PS- my boyfriend will be hanging out of the White House windows, picking off squirrels. Mmmm, thems good eatin'. (Myself, haven't had one yet. Although they are in the freezer.)
Bonnie wrote:

Worldpay is a legitimate outfit... part of the Royal Bank of Scotland. Now all you have to do is ascertain that the people you send the money to are in fact Worldpay. I wouldn't send anything to any link that coughs up an IP address that is just numbers.
This is kind of like Paypal. They exist but there's a lot of scams going on which involve their name. Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to enter into a deal unless I got to test drive the truck *before* I wired any money to anyone. That pretty much precludes anybody out of the local area.
The purchase price is almost too good to be true. Every scam depends on a person's greed to be successful. This might be a legitimate deal but I have enough doubts to just look in the local Craig's List for something I can drive first. I know the original deal allows you to drive it but only *after* you wire money to the escrow guys. I think there's too great a chance of getting burned.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

DEFINITELY
: > Bonnie wrote: : > ... : > : >> ...We are in OK, the car is in AL. : >> : >> Does this sound like a scam to you? : : DEFINITELY
I found another "great deal" yesterday, again on Craigslist. A too-good-to-be-true pick up. We wrote to him. The car is in OK, he is in LA. Wants to have the deal go through eBay. Told him we are not interested.

Dont buy a used car without having your independant mechanic go over it, it could be total junk

Yes, very good advice. And while I'm not opposed to someone buying a vehicle on Craigslist or Ebay, I have to agree with the poster who asked "Aren't there any more trucks to buy in OK? The only way I'd buy a vehicle located somewhere else like that would be for me to go there personally, test drive it and have it checked out by a mechanic. And I'd only do that if I wanted to go there for other reasons, eg vacation or if it was a rare vehicle that you can't find anywhere else. If this price is below what similar vehicles are selling for, the first thing I'd be suspicious of is why is it so low, and why does this guy have everything set up to sell it through Worldpay, etc. Every vehicle I've sold, I've put an ad in the local paper, or put it on a lot by a busy road, etc and sold it very easily.
Assuming this transaction is not a total ripoff, who pays the transportation cost, both ways, including shipping it back if you don't like it?

It may be okay, but turning loose of the money before you ever see the money is not good business. Ask yourself this: You send them the money. They "send" you the car. You don't like it and back out of the deal. On such a small transaction, who absorbs all that transportation cost at today's gas prices? I know ebay and other reputable auction sales people handle Internet sales all the time. I, personally, prefer to see what I'm buying and see the paperwork BEFORE the cash leaves my hands.
YMMV
Steve
SteveB wrote in message

Or at least use their real names, so I can look for them on Judge Judy. ;-)
Cheri
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:54:38 -0500, "Bonnie"

Personally, I wouldn't trust this. If you decide anyway, pay a mechanic to inspect the Tacoma before it's shipped to you. I'm sure there will be other deals after he gets back from Afghanistan.
: Personally, I wouldn't trust this. If you decide anyway, pay a : mechanic to inspect the Tacoma before it's shipped to you. I'm sure : there will be other deals after he gets back from Afghanistan.
You guys brought me back down to earth. Thanks.
It's the seller who claims to be going to Afghanistan, not my boyfriend. And he said we'd have 5 days to inspect it before deciding whether or not we want to buy it (have the funds released to the seller.) We would absolutely have a mechanic check it out.
But it does feel like there's something not quite right here.
Thanks guys.
bonnie
"Bonnie" wrote

Here's an eye-opener for you.
Taken in part from: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html
"AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION."
Also, take a look of your choice:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=craigslist+scam
"Bonnie" wrote

Hi Bonnie,
Your description of the vehicle is vague, but I looked up for my area, in the Kelly Bluebook. I looked at 2001 Tacoma short bed, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed, 100K miles, 2.4 engine, in fair condition. The private party value was $4,325, in fair condition.
Many questions arise, since it smells like a scam. I really don't think, you or the seller believe the transport company will absorb the costs of sending the vehicle back. So, who pays if you don't like it (that is, if you even received it)?
Also, how is this person going to sign a title over, if they are in Afghanistan? It's very possible, but the wait for a title could take months.
Why does this person want to use Worldpay, instead of a local bank? Banks can transfer money anywhere in the world. Surely the person has a local bank account, unless they don't ever plan on returning.
I wouldn't even consider this offer. Good luck to you.