OT: buying cars

Page 10 of 10

Former Fiat owner writing here. Emphasis on "former".
FIAT stands for Fix It Again, Tony. Fix It Again Today. Fix It Again Tomorrow. Take your pick.
Years ago, there was a skit on SNL with two guys arguing about which one was dumber -- each maintaining that he himself was dumber than the other guy. "Oh yeah? Well, I'm so dumb I did X." -- "Oh, yeah? Well, I did Y!" -- goes on for a while. Then one says "I bought a FIAT". End of argument.
Bottom line is, there is a *reason* for all these jokes.
On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 17:10:26 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

You don't remember the pony, eh? Judging by the pony you would steer a REAL wide berth around the Hyundai, and the Kia too.
Judging by the Vega you would stay away from Chevy/GM too. (not a bad idea, by the way).
On 8/7/2015 9:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I owned a '75 Vega GT and never had a problem with it.

By 1974 they had solved some of the big problems. In 1976 they had pretty well sorted out the cooling and lubrication. The 1971-73 range were pretty terrible cars, all around. Some of the early cars stood up,, but more burned oil, smoked, rattled, rusted,, and generally just self destructed.

Depends on the use. They were OK for occasional short trips around town. When my brother moved cross country I drove the Vega out there for him. Long days at 75 mph. It was never the same after that.
On 8/8/2015 8:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was a teenager when I owned it and lets just say I didn't baby it! lol

If it was 1971-73, you're lucky it lasted the trip. 1974 was significantly better, and by 1975/76 they stood up pretty well to highway driving.
On 8/8/2015 3:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I recall my stepfather deciding between a Vega and a Beetle. He chose the Vega. It lasted only about two years before rusting out. I recall reading a review on the Vega many years later that insisted that the body was made of compressed rust.
On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 11:50:48 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

The "duke" predates the Vega by almost 10 years - and survived it by several decades. Tough little bugger -- used in marine apps too.
On 08/07/2015 07:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They weren't all that bad. Now the Chevette...

GM's biggest mistake on the "shove-it" was not installing dual exhausts. It's pretty hard to push a wheelbarrow with only one handle - - - All kidding aside - for a CHEAP car they were not bad. Emphasis on CHEAP, not car.
On 8/8/2015 1:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I drove a four door Chevette, for two or three years. After my Dodge Dart (which was a loser) and before my work van. (Dodge, also, which was also a loser.)
Overall, I was pleased with it. Got 24 MPG, and had some troubles, but that's to be expected.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

My Chevette lasted over 23 years before my b-i-l decided not to change or check the oil and blew up the engine. My heel went through the floorboard after about 5 years but some scrap sheet metal, a few screws and some epoxy glue and I was good to go for another 18 years.
but what they conceal is vital.?
On 08/08/2015 05:07 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Those holes in the floorboards are really handy for dumping contraband. They do suck on wet or slushy roads though.

Each car is its own, jes like ppl.
I hadda Vega wagon as a service vehicle and it was awesome. Never had any probs and beat a Porsche 912 coming back (80) from Reno. The Porsche would smoke me in the straightaways, but I always caught him in the corners. He finally threw his hands up in submission. I will admit to being young, stupid, and having indulged in a wee bit o' the barely. ;)
nb
On 8/7/2015 12:10 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm glad I asked about Fiat's because they wouldn't tell me about all the jokes at the dealership.
--
Emma