OT: buying cars

Page 9 of 10
On 08/08/2015 03:43 PM, Muggles wrote:

Spend enough time on a bike and you don't trust anything. I hate those damn spinner hubcaps. You get so you subconsciously look at the wheels at intersections to make sure they're not starting to move and the spinners are always moving.
On 08/08/2015 02:38 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I've found that to be the opposite. That was the first lesson I learned with the Audi. If you're running wide, get off the gas. I was used to getting on it and walking the back end around.

advantages is some conditions. Can'r stop any better, can't turn any (or much) better, but when the front wheels are in zero traction mode there is a good chance the rears can get a bite - particularly with limited slip differentials and interaxle lock capability. I've gone places with 4wd that I'd never dream of trying with front wheel drive. I've also ended up a LOT farher from help!!!
And personally, I prefer rear wheel drive over front wheel drive in many situations where I'd really rather have 4 wheel drive. With front wheel drive, if you get your wheels spinning trying to get a purchase on terra firma, you have no steering. With rear wheel drive you can have the rear end swinging around grabbing whatever it can grab, and still have full directional control.. With 4 wheel drive in the same conditions, you can often have enough traction, split between the front and back, that you can go through without much, if any, drama involved.
In LIGHT vehicles with the motor up front, front wheel drive has an advantage over rear wheel drive due to the engine weight over the drive wheels. However, a rear engine, rear wheel drive car of the same weight isn't leaving anything on the table either.
On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 5:42:20 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What you say makes logical sense...but still opinion/speculation. It doesn't mean it applies in the real world. Temperature/texture of driving media has a large impact on traction. It's difficult to get consistent data.
On 8/8/2015 6:51 PM, bob_villa wrote:

It works in practice. I've owned a Corvair and two Karmen Ghias and all were excellent in snow. Could easily pass a 4WD Jeep. Better than any car I've owned since.

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 15:51:53 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

opinion/speculation goes "bye-bye" Get out winter rallying, and the opinion/speculation goes bye-bye just as quick.
On 08/07/2015 03:50 PM, Ron wrote:

Montana. Part of it is winter driving. The other part is this area is very outdoor recreation oriented and some of the popular trailheads are at the end of 10 or 15 miles of unmaintained forest service roads. 4WD pickups are popular too.
The joke is 4WD is what you use after you've gotten stuck in 2WD. I've gotten where I've needed to go with 2WD all my life. Or 1WD when you get down to it. I have a dual sport bike I use for gnarly stuff but I've managed to get standard street bikes into some strange places without destroying anything.
A lot of it's just psychological and a Subaru salesman can convince people AWD is safer and so forth. afaik, they're good cars anyway and that just gives them a little edge.
On 8/7/2015 11:33 PM, rbowman wrote:

wow Montana? What's the weather like there where you're at? Do you get drastic temperature differences between summer and winter?
--
Maggie

On 8/8/2015 11:49 AM, Muggles wrote:

Just wondering.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On 08/08/2015 09:49 AM, Muggles wrote:

At the moment? 64 degrees and cloudy and it might get up into the 80's. It's supposed to be back up into the '90s next week. I think it might have hit 100 one day this summer but low 90's are more typical. It's a dry climate so even when the days are in the 90's the mornings are down in the '50s.
This part of the state is called the Montana Banana Belt. It might get a little below 0 a few times over the winter, but teens are more typical getting up to the 30's during the day. Snowfall is variable in the valley. A lot of times it doesn't snow below 5000' so you can see the bathtub ring on the mountains around town. Last winter I never even got the x-country skiis or snowshoes out. It's not hard and fast, but I figure on mothballing the bikes around Halloween and putting the studs on the car on Thanksgiving. I keep on bike ready to go and may get out several times during the winter and more regularly in March or April depending. The studs come off in April. By then the roads have been dry for a while but the roads up to trailheads are still snow packed.
I grew up in upstate NY and all in all the climate is a lot easier to take. The longest winter of my life was when I lived in Bristol VT.
I'm not a real fan of winter but except for a few winters I spent in AZ I've always lived in the north.
On 8/8/2015 2:04 PM, rbowman wrote:

It actually sounds like a nice climate. I don't mind cold temps as much as I can't stand the heat, so I don't get out much in the summers. Well, my body can't take the heat for long. One day I was outside working on something and had been sweating bad, but then a breeze started to blow and I cooled off and stopped sweating. I thought it was because of the breeze that I stopped sweating, but about a half hour later I started feeling odd. My vision got all blurry and I couldn't focus on anything. All this time I had been drinking water, too, so I didn't think I was dehydrated. I ended up stumbling into the house and finding some Gatorade to drink and I kept sipping on it for like the next hour or so. Eventually my vision stopped being blurry, but that scared me straight. I add some salt to my water now if I'm out mowing the lawn or going to be sweating a lot.
--
Maggie

Ron posted for all of us...

In PA. I can't even get in my steep driveway without it. I used to be in emergency services and it was handy quite a few times-driving in fields to assess a crash victim bouncing off a pole. Setting up an LZ.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 8/7/2015 8:41 AM, rbowman wrote:

I drove a couple of Subarus some time ago, and almost bought one, but the dealership wanted too much for it and wouldn't come down on the price, so I walked out the door and didn't look back.
--
Emma

On 8/7/2015 1:56 AM, Ron wrote:

Haven't driven a Kia Soul yet. I think I'll give it a try in the near future. You said they have good warranty's, how do you think they compare to an average warranty?
--
Emma

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 10:53:19 AM UTC-5, Emma D. wrote:

"Emma" are you "maggie"? Have to ask! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
On 8/10/2015 11:12 AM, bob_villa wrote:

I'm pretty sure I'm not Emma! I've driven a Kia Soul before. LOL
--
Maggie

On 8/10/2015 11:53 AM, Emma D. wrote:

Double or Triple what most cars offer Kia 10-year or 100,000-mile warranty program.
The Kia 10-year/100,000-mile warranty program* consists of: 10-year/100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty 5-year/60,000-mile limited basic warranty 5-year/100,000-mile limited anti-perforation warranty 5-year/60,000-mile roadside assistance plan Each provides coverage until either the yearly or total mileage figure is reached—whichever comes first.
On 8/10/2015 1:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And if you buy a used Kia, you get 5 years or 60,000 miles warranty as long as that hasn't been exceeded. 2 year old Kia with 20,000 miles on it and you still get a better warranty than a brand new Chevy which in 3 years 36,000.
On 08/05/2015 01:00 PM, Emma D. wrote:

My experience with a Fiat Spyder wasn't too pleasant but that was back in the '70s. Italian vehicles have always tended to be high maintenance.
I'm on my second Toyota Yaris; the first one was killed by an errant snowplow. It's in the same subcompact class and a little cheaper than the Fiat. Consumer Reports says you avoid them like the plague but I've been satisfied. After the snowplow incident, I just went back to the same dealer and got another one, didn't bother looking at the Hondas etc. It will happily cruise at 80+ and gets in the high 30's in the summer. Sunday I got 40 mpg with a mix of 70 mph highways and a little 30-40 mph travel on gravel roads. 10 below zero and it starts right up. With front wheel drive/traction control it works well in snow.
I think the Fiat is a little better looking but I'm really more into bikes than cars.