OT: buying cars

The "duke" predates the Vega by almost 10 years - and survived it by several decades. Tough little bugger -- used in marine apps too.

Reply to
clare

;)

Hard to argue that point. At least I wasn't driving around in my own coffin.

nb

Reply to
notbob

What you say makes logical sense...but still opinion/speculation. It doesn't mean it applies in the real world. Temperature/texture of driving media has a large impact on traction. It's difficult to get consistent data.

Reply to
bob_villa

Some areas around here you get rear ended if you aren't at least 3-4 through the red light. I have found that the guy behind me getting pissed enough to honk at me is a pretty indicator that the coast will be clear.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I recall my stepfather deciding between a Vega and a Beetle. He chose the Vega. It lasted only about two years before rusting out. I recall reading a review on the Vega many years later that insisted that the body was made of compressed rust.

Reply to
sms

My Chevette lasted over 23 years before my b-i-l decided not to change or check the oil and blew up the engine. My heel went through the floorboard after about 5 years but some scrap sheet metal, a few screws and some epoxy glue and I was good to go for another 18 years.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

It works in practice. I've owned a Corvair and two Karmen Ghias and all were excellent in snow. Could easily pass a 4WD Jeep. Better than any car I've owned since.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just picked up a set of Hakkepeliitita R2 SUVsnows for the Ranger for next year. A hard tire to beat in ice and snow - even with studded tires. The Haks were THE tire in winter rallying back in the day.

Reply to
clare

The tracker was hardly a CAR. It was a half scale jeep CJ. The Geo Metro was the Suzuki Swift - still sold in India as the Maruti Swift.. They were not a bad car if you could keep the front suspension from rotting off up here in the land of ice and salt.

Reply to
clare

It only has 2 seats unless you count the shelf in the back provided for carrying legless pygmies.

Reply to
clare

Professional race drivers steer nore with the throttle than with the steering wheel too. Nothing like making a hard right turn with the wheel cranked hard to the left, and the rtight foot burried. That driving style doesn't work worth a crap with front wheel drive!!!

Reply to
clare

The windsheilds on the darn things leaked, and a teaspoon of water on the fuse panel a few times was all it took to turn them into lawn ornaments.

Reply to
clare

What is this guy sitting on at the 6:39 mark?

Ron

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it had a water leak that had something to do with the electrical issue.

Reply to
Muggles

IIRC, they had weep holes in the pinchweld on each lower corner. The holes would get dirt in them which would cause water to buildup and spill into the car. We (I was in the glass business) would seal between the gasket and the body on the sides and top and unplug the weep holes from underneath with a piece of wire.

Reply to
Ron

Get out on the lake with a bunch of ice racers and the opinion/speculation goes "bye-bye" Get out winter rallying, and the opinion/speculation goes bye-bye just as quick.

Reply to
clare

911's are still great ice racers and winter rallye cars.
Reply to
clare

They virtually all did, eventually - unless they were in Arizona or southern Cali.

Reply to
clare

I don't think there is no FWD racing vehicle.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I had a set studded Hakkapeliittas and really liked them. One thing the Finns know about is icy roads. I couldn't find any the last time around. Nokian (not Nokia) even makes studded bicycle tires for the hardcore.

Reply to
rbowman