OT: buying cars

Page 7 of 10
On 8/8/2015 4:57 PM, bob_villa wrote:

Okay, whatever that means. They are several sports cars that are 4 seaters.
On 08/08/2015 02:48 PM, bob_villa wrote:

I'll go with definition 2:
1. (Automotive Engineering) a production car designed for speed, high acceleration, and manoeuvrability, having a low body and usually adequate seating for only two persons
Heavy on the 'adequate' modifier.
rbowman wrote:

Bimmer M6 won't fit your bill?

It does in my book.
The term "sports car" was --at least in CA, in the 50s-- applied to any foreign import car. A "sports car" could be a Volvo 544, a German Borgward sedan, a Hillman Minx, etc. Almost any import sedan was granted "sports car" status and welcomed into the fold. VW bugs were kinda dismissed as not being "sporty" enough, despite being able to blow off an early Volvo 544. All "sports car" drivers usta wave to each other. It was a show of solidarity amongst foreign import drivers, much like motorcyclists, today.
nb
On 8/10/2015 12:08 PM, notbob wrote:

The Borgward is the only can I know of that had a 4 speed column shift but there may be others. Never thought of it as a Sports car though.
Borgward is going back in production though, Grandson of the original owner and the Chinese. No US sales planned yhet.

My 204 Peugeot had 4 in the tree. I think some Mercedes did too? The early Chevy/GM HandiVan was available with 4 in the tree - and some Euro and Japanese vans have 5 speed column shifters even today, and japanese taxis - (Toyota Crown and Nissan Cedric) had 4 speed column shifts up till about 1990 when automatic transmissions took over the Taxi world.

A Hillman Minx offered a 4 sp on column. It's the first time I ever saw that shift configuration.

Not my call. I was jes a wee tad. As I sed, more of a cultural thing than anything else.
OTOH, my '87 Civic Si sqr back (4 seats) would run rings around an early Triumph TR3 or MGA (roasters). I know damn well it woulda smoked my 60s Triumph Spitfire, by any metric. My first rides in "sports cars" were an MGA and a Jag Mk I. Hard to say which was more "sporty". Both were infinitely more sporty than any US iron of that time. ;)
nb
On 8/10/2015 2:19 PM, notbob wrote:

Chevrolet Corvette - line 1

Ha! I was waiting for someone to throw the 'Vette into the fray. ;)
My step-father had a '63 Stingray and a '65 Stingray (convertibles). Both were total pigs! I know, I drove 'em. I once read a claim that the frame of yer avg Corvette was heavier than a Caddy's frame. I was never able to confirm/deny it, but it sure felt like it was true.
When I watched a super modified(?) race at Leguna Seca (70s), a hand-full of alum bodied race modded Stingrays ran dead last behind a pack of 30 Porsches. Oh, except for the two factory AMX's that held a solid 15th and 16th place throughout the race. At least, until both suffered engine failure near the end (still ahead of the 'vettes).
Hard to recall exactly who won, but I recall a Volvo 144, a BMW 2002, and an AMC Gremlin dicing it up for first place in the stock production class. The Gremlin and the other two were way out in front of a mostly Beemer pack. If racing Laguna Seca (Monteray, CA) is not "sporty" enough for you, then you misunderstand the meaning of the term.
nb
On 8/10/2015 3:21 PM, notbob wrote:

You said;
"My first rides in "sports cars" were an MGA and a Jag Mk I. Hard to say which was more "sporty". Both were infinitely more sporty than any US iron of that time."
Infinitely more sporty than the Corvette, an American made sports car?
I don't know how you can even consider a Jag MK 4-door sled as "sporty". The MG MGA was produced from 1955 to 1962. So I don't even know what a '63 and '65 Vette has do with anything. Although I've driven several second generation Corvettes and I like them. Their biggest problem (for me anyway) is if you are topping them out the front end gets really light, likes it's ready for takeoff. Not at all a comfortable feeling.
<snip> We aren't talking about racing. BTW, my father owned almost every year of Corvette from 1953 to 1997, so I love Corvettes. The 2015 Corvette is absolutely awesome. Wish I could afford one. My favorite classic Corvette is the '63 split window. My dad owned a couple of them. Again, wish I could afford one now at their current prices.
To each his own. You dislike Vettes, I don't.
On 08/10/2015 02:42 PM, Ron wrote:

I tried one on once. It didn't fit. I don't dislike them but I couldn't see spending money on something that wasn't comfortable.
When Pontiac came out with the Fiero I went back to the dealership where I'd bought a Firebird a couple of years earlier. The salesman I bought the 'Bird from yelled across the showroom floor "They don't make that in your size!" He was right.
On 8/10/2015 4:42 PM, Ron wrote:

Most red blooded American teenage boys wanted a Corvette. Some of us still do, but once I get in it, I'm not so sure I can get out of it these days. I really like the new ones. If I had the money, I'd even pay the $5000 for the option of building my own engine.
My favorite is still the '58. I did not like the C-4 series at all. Bland.
On 08/10/2015 12:19 PM, notbob wrote:

I'd gotten curious and looked up some of the old performance tests. My Yaris does better than any of the common sports cars as far as acceleration and top speed.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/03/toyota-yaris-b-spec-club-racer/
I've got the feeling it could eat their lunch on the track too.

Not as "FAR" as a '51 Chevy. Compared to US pig-iron cars, anything from Europe was "sporty". ;)
nb

early Corvette would make as much sense. Or a Tbird

for carrying legless pygmies.
On 8/8/2015 8:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What is this guy sitting on at the 6:39 mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
w1Q4EBT8c
bob_villa wrote:

On 8/8/2015 4:47 PM, Tony Hwang wrote: