OT: buying cars

Page 5 of 10
rbowman posted for all of us...

Yup, and their reliability. The give a % of the price to charities. I miss my black labs, Tink, Abie and Oscar. :(
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 8/7/2015 9:41 AM, rbowman wrote:

Exactly 10 Kia Souls today.
Where do you live that people want AWD?
On 8/7/2015 5:50 PM, Ron wrote:

I'm a Subaru owner. Moderate climate but live on a hill and like to hunt. Been in many situations where I would have been stuck without AWD.
All Subaru's are AWD. On other brands it is an expensive option.
They maintain their value too.

for starters.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

have AWD and snow tires in winter. In my mind Acura SH-AWD, Audi Quattro, Subaru symetrical AWD are best of bunch. Kia was making bicycles way back and first automobile maker in Korea. Hyundai learned ins and outs of car manufacturing from Mitsubishi until they started producing own bearings and piston rings.
On 08/07/2015 09:11 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I just have FWD with electronic traction control but I mount studs all around Thanksgiving weekend. This valley normally doesn't get all that much snow but the temps hover around freezing, just enough to give you a nice coating of ice in the morning.
On 08/07/2015 07:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Alberta? Oh, you mean North Montana. Given Montana and Alberta's distaste for those eastern pols maybe we should secede together and form our own little country.

Years ago, the Uni of Colorado did a study of front wheel vs 4 wheel drive in snowy conditions. They concluded any front wheel drive is the equal of any 4WD. Both were far superior to rear wheel drive.
nb
On 8/8/2015 8:20 AM, notbob wrote:

I've been thinking about getting a Beetle, but haven't seen anyone mention any VW cars at all. I wonder if they just aren't popular as other cars seem to be.
--
Maggie

I can't say about new models, but I usta own a '62 VW bug. I learned to drive on ice/snow in that car. I'd go into icy vacant parking lots and purposely try and throw the car into a 360° spin. Those ol' rear engine bugs were pretty good in the snow.
Unfortunately, having lived in CA most of my life didn't help when I hit a patch of ice in my full-sized Ford van and totalled it on a tree, 40 yrs later. ;)
nb
On 8/8/2015 11:49 AM, notbob wrote:

When I was learning to drive I went under an overpass and there was water on the road that had frozen into a huge sheet of black ice. I saw it an panicked and did a perfect 360° spin and came to a stop facing the direction I was going to begin with. Scared the crap out of me! I think I hit the gas pedal when I meant to tap the breaks, or something like that - not sure because it was all a blur after the fact.
Fast forward to about 25 yrs later, I was driving down a flat road and there was snow that had been melting on the sides of the road. By then there wasn't any snow on the roads - just water. The temps had fluctuated and you couldn't tell if there was water or black ice on the roads so I was going fairly slow. When I came up to a red light I had slowed to nearly a stop when I tapped the breaks to stop completely. My car began to slide so I let off the break and went tap-tap-tap just barely touching the break and I swear there had to be an angel there who stuck his little finger between me and the car in front of me because that's where I finally stopped short of bumping the car in front of me. Right about that time my cell phone rings when my heart is beating at high speed from the adrenaline rush. Since I was stopped at a red light I picked up the phone and shouted "WHAT!!!! I'll have to call you back!!" After the fact it was kind of funny when I told everyone what happened.
--
Maggie

On 08/08/2015 11:10 AM, Muggles wrote:

My wife did that one morning. She'd spent enough time putting up with my antics that she went on with her business although I expect her pulse rate was up a bit.
Lat time I did something like that I was going down the road backwards at about 60 wondering how much it was going to hurt this time. Fortunately the Geo backed itself into the snow berm in the median with its front tires on enough pavement to paw its way out. Note to self: winter driving in a Geo with nearly bald tires isn't a good idea. Things happen fast with a short wheelbase.
On 8/8/2015 1:37 PM, rbowman wrote:

One of my kids had a Geo tracker. It actually was passed down to the second kid with the first one wanted another car. Kid #2 did it justice and one day mashed it into a concrete pylon in a parking lot which caused quite a bit of damage, but oddly enough, it wasn't that hard to fix it up again.
--
Maggie

On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 2:13:21 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

Geo Tracker was a Suzuki and Geo Storm was a Toyota...the latter being the better car.
On 8/8/2015 3:30 PM, bob_villa wrote:

ahh When you said Geo the only Geo I'm familiar with is the Tracker.
--
Maggie

On 08/08/2015 03:41 PM, Muggles wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Metro
The one I had was a second generation with the 4 cylinder engine. A friend had the three cylinder and 4 was definitely better. It was an interference engine so not knowing the maintenance history I changed the timing belt at 100,000 miles. Tight but doable.
The engine is also popular with the home-built aircraft crowd, although it wasn't a real power house.
On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 13:30:49 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

The Geo Metro was the Suzuki Swift - still sold in India as the Maruti Swift.. They were not a bad car if you could keep the front suspension from rotting off up here in the land of ice and salt.
On 08/08/2015 06:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Montana is a very religious state. God chose to but ice and snow there and he will remove it in his own sweet time so there's very little salt, just copious quantities of bank run gravel. The windshield repair places love it.
They tried magnesium chloride on the intersections in town one year. Supposedly it's more environmentally friendly than sodium chloride but it's also hell on alloy wheels.
Muggles wrote:

On 08/08/2015 01:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

I don't know if they all were but the Geo Metro I had was a rebadged Suzuki. I don't know how Suzuki managed to screw up their car business, but the failure was just a minor speed bump for the motorcycle business. That's still going strong.
I bought it with about 90,000 on it as an experiment to see if I could live with a subcompact. The only problem was it was a sort of cactus green. I took it to Arizona and it could be a problem finding the thing when coming back from a hike in the desert. I'd always mark a waypoint in the GPS.