OT: buying cars

Page 4 of 10

High-end autos are jes a crappy as cars on the other end of the price spectrum.
I usta want a BMW. That was until I saw my buddies used Beemer with the padded dash that was cracked wide open from UV sunlight. I had older cars w/ no such problem. Another buddy hadda Mercedes which was the same age as my Honda Civic. My Honda did not leak oil like a BP oil spill, even if my paint job was almost as faded and peeled as bad as his Mercedes. I won't even go into whatta trainwreck my other buddy's Audi is.
Now, I feel quite comfortable buying end-of-life cars. More often than not, they have proven their worth by still being on the road. I sold my Civic w/ 250K miles on it. The engine still purred. I'm currently looking at an '81 El Camino in mint condition. V6 engine w/ a factory stock 3 spd on the floor.
nb
On 8/6/2015 10:16 AM, rbowman wrote:

Chrysler porcelean cased ballast resistors, same way. Just dead one day, no warning.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

It wasn't moisture and corrosion - it was vibration and thermal stress. I always kept the spare screwed to the firewall next to the one in service so all I needed to do was move the wires.
On 8/6/2015 7:16 AM, rbowman wrote:

I carried a spare alternator around in my VW Rabbit. For some reason the alternator on my 1979 Rabbit was an odd model with a longer shaft than most of the Rabbit models used. It failed about every 25-50K miles. I would put in the spare and take the failed one in to a shop to be rebuilt.
On 8/8/2015 4:22 PM, sms wrote:

Around 1980-ish we bought a Rabbit and it might have been close to the model you had. It was a nice car for a while, but then it developed some electrical issues and would just quit running for not apparent reason. Had it fixed like 4 times and eventually just got rid of it.
--
Maggie

The windsheilds on the darn things leaked, and a teaspoon of water on the fuse panel a few times was all it took to turn them into lawn ornaments.
On 8/8/2015 7:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it had a water leak that had something to do with the electrical issue.
--
Maggie

They virtually all did, eventually - unless they were in Arizona or southern Cali.
On 8/8/2015 8:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

IIRC, they had weep holes in the pinchweld on each lower corner. The holes would get dirt in them which would cause water to buildup and spill into the car. We (I was in the glass business) would seal between the gasket and the body on the sides and top and unplug the weep holes from underneath with a piece of wire.
On 8/8/2015 6:58 PM, Ron wrote:
<snip> > IIRC, they had weep holes in the pinchweld on each lower corner. The

Yes, now that you mention it, that was the cause of the water leaks onto the fuse box.
Was just in England and Ireland. VWs are extremely popular there, and I presume in the rest of Europe, but in the U.S. their market share is very small. They finally opened a U.S. factory after closing the one in Pennsylvania decades ago. But I think that the Jetta and Golf sold in the U.S. still come from Mexico (not sure about the TDI models). Personally, I have no problem with buying a foreign nameplate vehicle built in the U.S., or a foreign nameplate vehicle built in the country of the company that made it, but a big problem with vehicles from the maquiladora factories.
On 8/9/2015 1:04 AM, sms wrote:

The Rabbits also had a problem with the movable vent glasses coming loose because the 2 hinges and lock were glued to the glass. That was really stupid. I was able to re-glue them using rear view mirror glue but it wasn't easy to get the alignment correct.
I know, blah, blah, blah....lol
On 8/8/2015 9:58 PM, Ron wrote:

In colder climates, sounds like trapped water would freeze, expand, and break things?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yes - cracked windsheilds were a common fault on them too. And a small problem turned ito a bigger problem pretty quickly on the leakers up here in ice country.
On 8/8/2015 5:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

There was an issue with leaks into the fuse panel, but IIRC it was not a windshield leak it was some other leak through the firewall. On mine it resulted in water in the relay that controlled the intermittent wipers with the wipers coming on by themselves.
On 8/9/2015 12:25 AM, sms wrote:

On top of what I wrote above about the windshield (not in this post - another post above this one), there was a rubber hose in the cowl area that would stop up and cause a build up of water which would come through the firewall.

Technically, it was a cowl leak. In the windsheild flange crimpweld area on most of the cars produced in a certain time-span.
On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:39:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon

The biggest problem with most cars today in not having properly trained mechanics to work on them. Fiats are not Dodge Rams.
On 8/5/2015 7:07 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I do like the KIA Soul, too, so maybe I should investigate one of those more. Test drove one about a year ago, and kind of liked it, but didn't want a black interior. Couldn't find any with a lighter interior, either.
--
Emma

On 8/6/2015 6:27 PM, Emma D. wrote:

I have 2 family members and a best friend that have Kia Souls. They are great cars, and you can't beat their warranty. Next time you are out and about, count the Kia Souls that you see. me and my g/f have a game we play when we go somewhere counting Souls. They are EVERYWHERE!
On a 6 mile round trip to our favorite place to eat ever Friday, we count at least 10 of them. I think our record is 15. And that doesn't include the 4 that are parked in our neighborhood.
On 08/07/2015 12:56 AM, Ron wrote:

You wouldn't run out of fingers counting them around here. Subarus are the noticeable ones, preferably with the optional black lab with red scarf installed. It's the AWD that sells them.