OT: buying cars

Page 2 of 10
On 08/07/2015 02:57 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

The Brits talk funny. It wasn't much of a car but I did like the Triumph Spitfire. The whole bonnet/wings assembly swung up so you could sit on a front tire and drink a beer while contemplating the hamster wheel that powered it. Much nicer than the old Jags.

I loved my old used Spitfire. That is, until I saw it up on a service bay hoist (muffler). The main frame was like two Y's connected together at the bottom leg. The two compartments --the passenger compartments-- hung on both sides of that long middle leg. looked exactly like two coffins. I soon sold my Spitfire for something safer ....a 500cc Matchless single m/c. ;)
nb
On 08/08/2015 07:57 AM, notbob wrote:

Good move. After dipping into various sports cars I too regained my sanity and went back to bikes. A car is something you drive in the winter or when you have to haul more crap than you can bungee on the bike.

The Matchless would only be safer than the Spit if it didn't run.

;)
Hard to argue that point. At least I wasn't driving around in my own coffin.
nb
On 08/06/2015 12:16 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Lucas, Prince of Darkness. I know him well, having had an Austin-Healey at one point.

In our family we've had a Bedford doormobile, a Vauxhaul Victor Special, a Viva HA, a Viva HC (Firenza) 2300SL, a Rover 2000TC, a Mark 1 Mini, and a Sunbeam Arrow. I also babysat and drove a Sunbeam Alpine Mk2, helped restore a '53 MGTD, and currently helping restore a british Isetta . I was also reponsible for looking after an old Rover 3500 and a Mini Moke for aver a year, and serviced a Mk2 E type Jag for a good customer for about 8 years.
The Mini was my first car. It was a 1961, and had intermittent wipers LONG before they became standard or even optional equipment on American iron. Weren't designed that way - they just happened!!
On 8/6/2015 10:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

ohhh, another car I've been thinking about if a Mini Cooper. I guess I kind of like the idea of the smaller car, but I haven't driven one, yet. I can't decide which model if I can even get around to test driving one.
--
Emma

On 8/6/2015 11:51 PM, Emma D. wrote:

Mini is rated about 1 notch above the Fiat. Cute car, but expensive. Never drove one so I don't know if they are worth the money. Not hard to hit $28k to $30k for the bas model with some decent accessories.

It's a blinkin' BMW for crying out loud. Of COURSE it's expensive to maintain. - and way to pricy for what it is to start with too.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Car like that should be leased, not purchased.
On 8/7/2015 1:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's too rich for my blood. I still have to buy food every week!
--
Emma

On 08/06/2015 09:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Learn something every day -- I always thought BMW was the ones who picked up the Isetta from Italy. I guess in the land of the Morgan tricycle anything to cheat the taxman was good.
I used to get a kick out of watching the Minis at the SCCA races at Limerock. The big Vettes could run but they couldn't hide for long.

You think the mini (austin seven) was a vette killer, you should have seen the Lotus Sevens mop the track with them!!
On 08/07/2015 06:21 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's why I was at Lime Rock -- pit crew for a guy running a Seven S2 :) If I ever get to the point where I can't keep a bike upright there may be a Caterham in my future rather than messing around with a trike like the Can-Am Spyder. Luckily this state isn't very fussy about what you put on the road as long as you buy the tags.

A good friend of mine has built/rebuilt the majority of the sevens running vintage racing in the eastern half of North America, and quite a few that are driven on the road as well. He has a chassis standing in the hangar that I'd love to make into a car if it wasn't so terribly hard to licence and insure one here in Ontario
On 08/07/2015 10:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't know what my insurance man would do but this state is very casual. Even a quad with rudimentary lights is street legal. One of the oddities is there is a street license and an off road license and they don't overlap. For example my dual sport bike is street legal but in theory isn't legal for off road. If I wanted to ride trails I'd have to pony up for the off road sticker too, not that anybody runs around in the woods checking too often.

You know a new season of Wheeler Dealers is coming up?
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 8/5/2015 10:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I don't know about cold climates because I live in FL...but you can't beat the Hyundai and Kia warranties.
On 8/5/2015 7:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I just had a Kia Sportage as a rental and it was pretty nice. It was a diesel model and got very good mileage. Manual transmission, and the steering wheel was on the wrong side. This was in Ireland.