OT Buying a used vehicle

You mean like this? ;-)

My '66 Ambassador 990 had one. The air conditioning ducts ran up right behind the radio. There was no way to install a "modern" FM radio in the dash. For a while I had an FM converter, then I upgraded to an under dash cassette-FM stereo.

ebay sure can bring back the memories...

$_35.JPG

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The issue at that time (early 2000s) had to do with warranties. Most people don't know that Canadian prices for new cars are substantially cheaper than US prices. Yes, for the exact same make/model. Most people won't travel to Canada just to save a few thousand on a new car. However, back about that time, US car dealerships figured out that they could travel to Canada and purchase brand new vehicles to sell on their lots back in the US for thousands of dollars less than the models they bought direct from the manufacturer at US prices. For many dealerships located in border states, this became a no-brainer. Sell Canadian market vehicles and dramatically undercut the competition!

There I was, shopping for a new car, and trying to figure out how Suburban Chrysler could have the exact same model, same accessories and trim line, same year, for three or four thousand cheaper than their competition a few miles away. I quickly learned that these were Canadian vehicles bought new at auction over the border from cooperating Canadian dealerships that were buying more than they needed to re-sell to their US counterparts.

So, what was the catch? There _had_ to be a catch, right? Right. As the number of new Canadian vehicles on US car lots increased dramatically, and competing dealerships complained to the manufacturers, the manufacturers took notice. And they eventually announced that these grey-market vehicles would have to be sold at US prices *or* the buyer would waive the manufacturer's warranty.

So that was the catch: save thousands, but no warranty. Once that went in effect, the practice of running new Canadian vehicles over the border for resale diminished considerably.

At that time, no daytime running lights. As for the speedometer, at that time, the models I looked at had electronic displays that the owner selected for English or metric display. So no big deal there, either.

Anyhow, that was why I was using Carfax: to spot the Canadian imports that were otherwise indistinguishable - well, except by price.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

If you find a vehicle you like, get the VIN and check it out at carfax.com; you get a report that tells you all of the service work done on that vehicle.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Not true at all. My cars are properly serviced and well cared for, but nothing will show on CarFax. My cars are carefully driven and a good buy for the next owner. (with the exception of my last Buick, but I hgave that away)

OTOH, I know a couple of cars that will show up with oil changes but are driven by idiots that tend to beat on them.

About the only value to CarFax it may show if the car was in an accident.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It "can" show all work at the dealership. Also provides an ownership trail. It's nice to know that a car was owned by one owner, instead of five. It's useful, but can only tell so much.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Only for a very short time did it make sense to buy a car in Canada and sell it in the USA. Usually a LOT cheaper in the USA..(like virtually everything else) Doesn't matter whether US built or Canadian built they sell for less in the states. Jap built too. Or Mexican.

Currently a base 2014 Fors Focus lists at $14000 in Michigan and $15999 in Ontario. A base F150 is $24334 in Canada and $25640 in the USA

A fusion Energy in Canada is $38899, in the US it is $34700 The Focus Electric is virtually the same - $35170 in the US and $35199 in Canada.

A base Fusion in Canada is $22499 and $21970 in the USA A transit connect Base in Canada starts at $26699, and in the US $22000.

That's just FORD.

Chrysler 300, built in Canada - $34595 in Canada, $30,765 in the US Town & Country Canadian list $31993, US $30765 - and again, built in Canada Chrysler 200, base list in Canada $27950, in the US $21700

For the Toyota it is closer - a Corolla S is $19000 in US and $19215 in Canada. They are made in Canada. The Yaris SE 5 door (the only Yaris with the same equipment Canada and US) is only $16540 in the US, vs $19255 in Canada.

Toyota Sienna SE FWD $33860 in US, $37205 in Canada The FWD XLE is #33,645 in the US, and $39740 in Canada.

Reply to
clare

Would not find any of my old cars service - and they were well serviced, with no repairs to speak of. A bad carfax can meen something. A good carfax doesn't meen much.

Reply to
clare

With a BIG emphasis on the MAY. If it didn't go through insurance,

90% chance it won't show up.
Reply to
clare

In Ontario Canada a $20 "sellers kit" is mandatory for private sales and gives total ownership history. It is available for ANY car - even dealer sold and well worth the money if you are serious about a used car on a dealer lot. Keeps the salesman honest. If he says it was a local tradie-in and the sellers pack shows it came from 300 miles away, don't believe a single word he says about the car beyond the colour and make.

Reply to
clare