OT: Buying a car from dealership

Page 3 of 3
On 4/8/2016 12:30 AM, Micky wrote:

Center posted as your post was.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 07:23:11 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Give it a bloody rest, will you???? If you've got nothing worth saying, just shut up.
On 4/8/2016 2:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

While it's true, I'm no longer on topic for car dealership, I'm on topic for the comment, and the reply. And it was worth saying.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You are still on your "anti-center-posting" hobbyhorse.
The horse is not only dead and buried., but thoroughly composted by now. Inline posting is now a standard and accepted method of posting on newsnet and makes it MUCH easier to follow a thread.
So like I said, give it a rest
On 4/8/2016 8:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

As I understand it, inline posting means two or more comments. When one posts a single comment (with untrimmed trailing text), I call that center posting. Center posting leaves the reader looking for the second comment (which isn't there) and just leaves the reader upset about having his or her time wasted, scanning for a second reply which isn't there. I think center posting is rude, and a waste of others time. Rather inconsiderate.
On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 22:08:51 -0400, Stormin Mormon

It is "inline posting" when the reply immediately follows the point being replied to. Trimming trailing text may or may not be adviseable, depending on what the following text (or as you call it, trailing text) has to say that is pertinent. Without context, the reply may not make any sense, and a "real news reader" when set up for efficiency does not necessarilly show the previous full post that is being replied to. Sometimes the "whole thread" is important for context - sometimes it is not.
If not required for context, clipping is good ettiquette. - but so is trimming "leading text" when you bottom post, and trimming "leading text" when top posting.
Complaining about not trimming is often definitely a case of ' pot - kettle - black". i
On 4/8/2016 11:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A person who normally trims text might leave excess text so others can see what is the problem.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

And that's why I leave text that follows my last reply. So people reading my reply will know whether the previous poster had already taken in to account what I said.
In addition, I don't snip what the previous poster wrote to show respect for his words, and thirdly, because when people snip what I wrote, they often do it to distort what I wrote or to give a reply that makes no sense.
In-line posting does not require 2** sections of comment. Like Clare said, it only requires that a response follow directly after the comment being responded to. And that's what makes it easier to understand than either bottom or top posting. **One doesnt' know until he reads further if he'll have more comments to make.
On 4/8/2016 12:30 AM, Micky wrote:

I've been known to complete stop, and see if the other person notices. One time on bicycle, I could not keep up with the fellow with me. We were both teenagers. Finally, about four blocks from home, I pulled over and stopped. I rested a while, and head home. Asked him later about that, if he'd noticed me missing, and would he have come back. No, he'd already put his bike in the garage and went in to the house. That pretty much describes his level of interest in our friendship.
I've had that happen with vehicles, also. I tend to drive carefully, and people take off and leave me behind. One such time was when I was driving the vehicle with the trailer, we were moving a piano. The other driver left me behind in a housing development. I ended up making some phone calls, finally found out where he went, and told him to return to where I was. I ought have turned and gone home.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Meanie wrote:

Have you tried carguru.com?
On 4/7/2016 10:02 PM, 83LowRider wrote:

That's where I saw the car I'm interested in. In fact, I search CG, Cars.com and autotrader daily for the specific car I'm seeking.

No one hates cash that much that they'll cancel the deal.
Are you doing this through some web site or commercial intermediary? Or is this just beteen you and the dealer.
If the first, you probably have a contract that they're not going to deny. If they've sent you anything in writing that says you have a deal, bring it with you. If you only have a phone call, put the deal in writing, email it to them and have them sign it and mail it back.
My car broke down in N. Carolina a few years ago, and I found a car in S. Carolina. I too didn't really want to buy from a dealer but it was hard to find any convertible at all where I was. I had to drive 100 miles and two dealers had one each.
After the deal was made, I asked where the nearest Bank of America was, and one was just a mile away (one advantage of using a bank with branches all over the place) and I went and withdrew 9000 dollars. It turns out I could have just written him a check, even though he just met me. He had some check guarantee service. Though I'd stopped carrying checks with me. Maybe I should start again.
In my case, dealing with a dealer had some advantages. He got me temporary plates, he supposedly cleaned up the car some more after I bought it, though it looked plenty clean at the time, they had supposedly checked it mechanically when they got it in (and indeed I didn't have any repairs for at least two years), and they may not have charged me extra to deliver it from S. Car. south of Charlotte to Asheville, 100 miles away. Maybe they did charge but they knew who to call and I didn't have to arrange it. (I'd rented a car locally and I don't think I could have returned it in S. Car, so I would have had to drive both cars back at the same time.)
It ended up that two days later, I drove to the airport and met the delivery guy to pick up the new car, then went around to the front of the hotel and returned the rental, then returned to the motel and moved all my stuff from the old car to the new car, and sold the old car. All within 90 minutes.