OT: Buying a car from dealership

Page 2 of 3
On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 21:34:33 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Second prize is 2 weeks.
On 4/6/2016 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Was thinking along those lines as well. A friend of mine who frequents the ND area says it's beautiful.

The cash price will be higher than if you finance. The last time we bought a car the guy was straighter with me than I expected. He flat out said they did not want my cash and there was an extra $1000 he could toss in if I financed some minimum amount. ($10k I think) He also said I needed to keep the loan for at least 4 months so I took the grand, divided the loan amount by 4 and made the first 3 payments, them I called for the payoff balance. It ended up costing about $200 but that still netted me $800 off. We also got $10,000 knocked off of the sticker in an end of the model year deal. By the time Obama had given me $4500 for a clunker, the IRS gave me a few hundred in tax credits and they gave me $500 for the scrap value of the rusted out truck, I was pretty happy.
On 4/6/2016 4:17 PM, Meanie wrote:

Like you, with me cash is king. OTOH, I've heard (from an attorney friend) that you can stick it to the man by going along with their financing over a long period of time and crying poor mouth at the negotiating table.
They will, I'm told, cut you a better deal as they will get a piece of the financing. So you let them "screw you" on the financing and then instead of making the first payment, you pay the entire principal off. You may get dinged a bit of interest but you should save quite a bit.
My daughter and her husband did similar with their first new car purchase. She played the banker and her husband acted like he was not allowed to speak. (Both are doctors. He's a DDS and she's a PhD)
She drove a hard bargain and they were intending to finance it anyway. Salesman ordered up the car for them, they got the price they wanted and when they went to pick up the car, she looked at the contract and asked "What's this $500 here for?" Salesman told her "Oh, that's your down payment in order to get financing."
She said, "Oh, you never told me that. There's been a misunderstanding. Here's a cashier's check for $12,000. THAT's our down payment!"
LOL!

I'd only purchase locally, if you buy out of state and there is a problem you are probably screwed.
I have a friend who is a car dealer...mainly new...but when I needed to get a car five years ago I told him basically what I wanted and gave him the maximum amount.
Two weeks later he told me he found just the car I wanted and it was "well below" what I had mentioned.
From the specs, it was a few thousand dollars less than similar cars I saw in local ads. so I figured it would be a good deal.
I got there with my check book and the price was about $500 below my max. Then he said there are such and such costs and when he was done with his calculations ...how do you like that...it was five bucks below my max. I of course knew he had that all worked out in advance...but it did end up being a good car. In five years (other than oil changes) it's only needed a brake job.
On 4/6/2016 8:43 PM, philo wrote:

What kind of problem do you envision? The car is new enough that it is probably still under the manufacturer's warranty and any dealer can take care of it.

You can buy a new car with nothing down in most cases. I had to tell the dealer the last few times I wanted to make a down payment. I don't want to be under water on a loan.
On 4/6/2016 8:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Neither did the kids. They capitalized on the car dealer's greed. She even beat him out of the transportation charges and dealer prep. They did a dealer swap and got the car they wanted from a dealership about 45 miles distant. She played dumb - even when he told her the transportation charge was from the factory to the dealer - and just kept refusing pay the transport and dealer prep. Why? "Well you already told me the car is just down the road, I can go there and pick it up from them instead of you and save the transportation charge. And why should I pay you to prep a brand new car. The factory should have done that. I'm not paying."
It was not unlike the practical jokes played on telephone solicitors. My wife and laughed so hard. Betting that the sales sap was never so glad to wrap up a deal and get them out of his store.
If you (as a car buyer) had the resources to obtain the information of the previous owner of a vehicle you are considering, would you consider that unethical to use that info and contact the ex-owner with questions about the vehicle?

I have done that before - the previous owner wasn't miffed at all - she was friendly & forthright, as I would be in that circumstance. John T.

When I traded my old Corvette, the new owner found one of my business cards and called me. We quickly figured out the speedometer had been tampered with and I also told him it had already been around once. I never heard what happened but he was not a happy camper. It was showing 69,000 when I traded it and really looked more like the true 169,000. They must have really shined it up pretty to get away with the 40,000 it was showing.
On 04/07/2016 10:50 AM, Meanie wrote:

Where would there be an ethics problem in that? That the seller has the info and wouldn't share it is far more egregious. Most local vehicles here thru the dealership with which I regularly trade offer the privilege when they know the seller; it's something they bought off auction or a program car such as this then it's not something I'd expect them to dig up...but don't see why the prospective purchaser should have any qualms to do so if wish.

On 4/7/2016 2:07 PM, dpb wrote:

I agree, but my method of obtaining the info is linked to my job and the Mrs seems to think that's wrong.

not for public consumption, no problem. If you use your professional position to access DOT records - that's putting yourself in legal jeopardy.

Another story about girls. I had a job for the city of NY and I came across a listing of thousands of names, iirc And it had their age and where they lived, and I was tired of meeting girls who lived far away from where I lived in Brooklyn, and some of these lived in walking distance. It also showed whether they were single or not and probably gave their phone number too. Something about the list made a much higher fraction of them single eligible females, than the city as a whole.
If I could have come up with a fool-proof story of why I was calling them, and a way to make it social, and a way to be sure I wouldnt' get caught by work or fired, I would have called one or more, even if it was a betrayal of my job. After all, I know I'm not going to attack one and if she doesn't want to see me, I'm not going to scrare her or anything. But I just continued seeing girls, none of whom were special but who lived far away.

I found the listing in the trash and it wasn't made by a programl or even a system I dealt with, so the odds are.... well, no one girl could have put 2 and 2 together, I dont' think. They probably didn't even know what agencies had listings of them. If the listing had included pictures and if some were good looking, and they probably were, I probably would have tried somehow.

On 4/7/16 11:50 AM, Meanie wrote:

Of course not. It's like checking references of a job applicant or the sales/tax/lien/title history of a potential real estate purchase. Ever hear of caveat emptor?
--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law

No.
I've done that twice, with girls. In both cases, I called their ex-husband to see what he thought of her.
One guy told me all the things he didn't like, and they were the same things I didn't like. I was afraid I'd was being overly sensitive. He told me that her *first* husband said the greatest day of his life was when their divorce became final.
The second guy was afraid to talk to me. Afraid she'd retaliate. I promised it would never get back to her but I understand why he was afraid I accidentally let something slip that only he knew. And they had two kids. (But things she told me were enough to realize she would be a problem.)
Both of these guys I called after the girl and I had broken up. One of them I was considering marrying. I wonder if I would have had sense enough to call her ex first.
You don't face any of these problems with a car.

I remember more. I thought maybe I brought out the worst in her, but the other guy brought out the same bad things. So it was *her*, not me. One time, he got so mad at her that he kicked a 50 pound bag of cement and injured his foot. A few days later they were at some hobby convention with a biggggg parking lot, and walking to the building, he couldnt' keep up with her because of his foot. She was way ahead of him so he yelled, "Slow down." Then she slowed down so much that she fell way behind him. Boy did that one event describe her.