OT but you guys are good...

Page 1 of 2
I need to move a big screen TV down a flight of concrete stairs. The TV is large, 4' tall, 2' thick and 4'+ wide. My guess is its about 200lbs or more. When I brought the tv up the stairs it was in its packaging, thick cardboard and we slid the box up the stairs. Well, now we can't. It has wheels on the bottom that won't come off. There is no where to handle the TV except the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it down the stairs without destroying the TV? I am wrapping the outside in moving blankets and duct tape. Maybe some kind of straps like piano movers use? Thanks in advance.

Go to a boat supply or hardware store and get yourself some GOOD nylon rope, at least 3/4" thick for easy handling. You'll need two pieces. One that's twice the distance down the stairs plus 15-20 feet. The extra length is for two people at the top of the stairs to have plenty to hang onto. The second rope will be wrapped around the TV vertically, providing a place to attach the long piece that goes up the stairs. Put two people on the stairs with the TV to gently guide it down each step. The people at the top will support much of the weight, keeping the set from sliding too fast.
Good rope is not cheap, so you want to find a way to keep the ends from unravelling. While you can melt them with a lighter, that's sloppy, but a reasonable temporary solution. Boat supply stores usually sell a sort of epoxy dip for sealing the ends. Burn the ends, dip, allow to dry for 24 hours, then use a very sharp knife to make a nice clean cut and remove the sloppy burnt ends. Then, dip again. Unless you do something nasty to it, the rope will last longer than you.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://www.stevespianoservice.com/movesh.htm
They do make it easy!
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Maybe...
1. Piece of 3/4" plywood about the width of the TV and a bit longer
2. Set TV on plywood
3. Nail a couple of pieces of 2x4 across the ply so TV can't move fore and aft
4. Tie/strap TV to plywood
5. Slide and/or carry downstairs.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

[...]
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:22:36 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You only need some string and a minute to whip to end of a line. Wrap the string tight and put it through the loop. Pull the dead end until the ends are inside the wraps, then trim both ends. Lasts a lifetime and only takes a short time to learn. One of those things like riding a bike, you never forget how to after doing it a couple of times.
http://www.inquiry.net/images/whip.jpg

Not "some string", but waxed string made for that purpose. I like this method better, too, but even boat supply places don't always have the right string available.
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:01:51 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I've always used what I had available and never had a problem. I've never looked for any special string. I just pick a piece of string based on the diameter of the line that needs whipped. Most packing twine or cord works for me.

Tradition, I guess. I've been using the waxed twine for almost 50 years. In wet environments, it's less prone to rotting, although nowadays, it's Dacron, so who cares? :-) http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/72112/0/0/whipping/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

I have always melted the ends and that works just fine; but occasionally I get some kevlar or spectra, and that won't melt. I will try your method, thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

1. Call a piano mover. 2. Sell the TV, in situ, to the new occupant. Buy another.

Straped it to the dolly and took it dowd and up stairs at an apperment we had till our house was built. Only takes 2 people amd it was very easy too.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Thank you for the advice! I knew you guys were good!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

really all that much for two men.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:05:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

It is on stairs, where the guy on the bottom is carrying 80% of the weight, and one miss-step means falling over backwards with 200 pounds of TV on your chest.

And, maybe too tall, so it'll hit the ceiling if you lift it to a comfortable level for carrying?
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:05:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

The problem is when you pick it up, it will hit the top of the doorways.
That set of moving straps is good, but one can accomplish the smae thing with rope. Everything big that I've moved had legs, but I did learn one good thing from the website. Cross the ropes and have his and my left hands on the same rope, and our right hands on the othe one.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Go to rRentAll and rent a moving dolly . wrap and strap TV to dolly and move it down the stairs. How do you think a moving company would move it?????/

This is a general comment not directed at the OP in particular.
Why the hell do people need/want these big ass screens? They cost a billion dollars (+tax) and the pictures suck on every one of them. They are blury, rotton colors, some you can't see unless you are right directly in front of it. What do you do when more than one person wants to watch? Stack chairs like bunkbeds? Sit shortest to tallest behind each other? People put them in rooms that cover the entire wall and the opposite wall is 12ft away. Honestly, dirt cheap 25/27" TVs, even the Chinese ones with recycled beer cans for wiring have pictures 10x better.
OK, personal peeve [off] :-)

My solution to the problem of moving a big TV is to use a projector (no harder to move than a DVD player) and screen (rolls up and is easy to carry) instead of one of those big & heavy sets.. The screen I currently have allows a 72-inch screen (for 4:3) or 66-inch (16:9).

Mark Lloyd