OT but interesting (old box factory)

Page 1 of 2

The old equipment is neat, and a treat to all us old gearheads. There are also quite a few other web sites that go along with the same basic theme for an additional buzz.
http://www.youtube.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs

That was interesting to watch. Thanks for posting!
On Mon, 06 May 2013 16:32:42 -0500, Gordon Shumway

Don't tell OSHA about it.

Amazing. Some bugger will get killed in there. I see the dog had lost his tail. Can't see how it can possibly be commercially viable these days.
I wonder if it's still running?
On Mon, 6 May 2013 23:37:47 -0700 (PDT), harry

Sure it is. http://www.phillipsbrosmill.com

It would have been closed down years ago here. All those open belts and unguarded machines.
My wife's uncle was decapitated by a belt system like that sixty odd years ago.
It must take all day to raise stem from cold and a couple of hours from an overnight shutdown.
I suppose they were running on free wood waste.

There are lots of places similar in the UK (and much older) but they are run as tourist attractions by volunteers. I din't see how anyone could make a living with that equipment.
On Tue, 7 May 2013 09:20:48 -0700 (PDT), harry

The equipment is all depreciated. The energy is free.They make a "boutique" product. All adds up to profitability - although not on a huge scale.
On 05/06/2013 11:37 PM, harry wrote:

I cringed when I saw the long-haired fellow casually walk around with the end of his hair several inches from the belt-driven pulleys. Guys like that don't last very long in a production environment, and I hope someone gets him to tie it up, out, and away before he gets scalped.
Jon
On 5/6/2013 3:15 PM, OMB wrote:

Very cool, added to my link list. ^_^
TDD

There is a small garage in a town near Pittsburgh hand making these things. They are still going strong. You have to have seen one of these.
http://www.jensensteamengines.com/

I own one. Fantastic little piece of equipment -Early model 25

I was watching one of the many shows local Mr. Rodgers station, WQED pittsburgh. This guy does many Pittsburgh shows as well as national shows, Rick Sebic. Here is a clip from that show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byPKjc5H4Qc

Greg

re

s.

"World's only/oldest" bollocks. There are a couple of companies in the UK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Turner_(engineer) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamod
There's a German outfit too. I forget the name
On Tue, 7 May 2013 23:45:36 -0700 (PDT), harry

Right Harry.It was started in 1932, five years before Mamod. Turner started earlier, but it is gone so he does not count. It also states America's "only" maker , not the worlds only one.
Don't you guys read and comprehend English over there?
On 5/8/2013 4:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Cousin Harry doesn't speak American except for what he may have picked up from Hollywood movies. ^_^
TDD

No, it's been clear for a long time that English isn't harry's first language.

ings.

"Quote" A decision was taken in the late 1980s to separate Stuart Turner Ltd. into two separate operations with the larger side of the business making pumps staying at Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, England and the Steam Engine section moving to Cheddar in Somerset. In 1991, Stuart Models underwent a change of ownership with the production and sales departments moving to Guernsey. "Unquote" I see you suffer from dyslexia
On Wed, 8 May 2013 09:25:43 -0700 (PDT), harry

So it is a new company dating to the 1980s.
On Wed, 8 May 2013 09:25:43 -0700 (PDT), harry

So the Stuart NAME may be older, but the company is not, as it changed ownership and moved in 1991. Jensen is still the same company it was in 1932, in the same town, and I believe in the same BUILDING. Still owned by the original family and producing some of the same models.