OT, but electronic

I guess you're too young to remember mercury delay lines, then.

Reply to
CJT

Me, too. I think I paid about a thousand dollars for it. And that was when a thousand dollars was a lot of money.

Reply to
CJT

Never came across them, true...

Reply to
dpb

To be fair, the only place I have encountered one is at the Smithsonian.

As I recall, they also have an example of a CRT memory device.

Reply to
CJT

Or Coax, or Drum, or...

Yes, the "Williams Tube":

krw

Actually, drum overlapped core, as I recall.

Reply to
CJT

I had mentioned in an earlier subthread the glee w/ which we greeted the first drum when it was installed onsite, and indeed it was on the same machine...

--

Reply to
dpb

Since you've mentioned a UPS:

Those usually have modem surge protectors nowadays. If you had yours plugged into a surge protector, remove that and plug it into the phone line directly. Surge protectors can interfere with latest high speed modem protocols.

Well, that said, however, it would be wise to disconnect your modem during thunderstorms if you bypass a surge protector.

D~ \\//.

-------------------------------------

and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 224109 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

There were drums before core, used as main memory. Optomizers would put instructions on the drum so the next instruction (or data) was under the head when the previous instruction completed.

Reply to
krw

That order would be contrary to everything I ever (at least thought) I knew...taxonomy of the development would be interesting if so...

--

Reply to
dpb

Neat bunch of people over on alt.folklore.computers, if you're into this stuff. A lot of them were there at (or near) the beginnings.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote: ...

I did poke around a little -- learned earliest drum memory did far precede core in invention, but didn't really find out much about actual relative times of implementation/widespread usage.

Sorta' interesting, but not _that_ interesting, so I quit... :)

Reply to
dpb