OT, but electronic

Page 2 of 3
aemeijers wrote:

Well, if we're remembering, I remember when all memory was core...

Space Shuttle upgraded from core memory only recently,IIRC.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

1990.
--
Keith

dpb wrote:

CJT wrote:

Never came across them, true...

dpb wrote:

As I recall, they also have an example of a CRT memory device.
says...

Or Coax, or Drum, or...

--
Keith

krw wrote:

Actually, drum overlapped core, as I recall.

CJT wrote:

I had mentioned in an earlier subthread the glee w/ which we greeted the first drum when it was installed onsite, and indeed it was on the same machine...
says...

There were drums before core, used as main memory. Optomizers would put instructions on the drum so the next instruction (or data) was under the head when the previous instruction completed.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

That order would be contrary to everything I ever (at least thought) I knew...taxonomy of the development would be interesting if so...

Neat bunch of people over on alt.folklore.computers, if you're into this stuff. A lot of them were there at (or near) the beginnings.
--
Keith

krw wrote: ...

I did poke around a little -- learned earliest drum memory did far precede core in invention, but didn't really find out much about actual relative times of implementation/widespread usage.
Sorta' interesting, but not _that_ interesting, so I quit... :)

When I bought an extra 24K for my VIC20 (about 1983), it came on a big cartridge (12 big RAM chips and a couple of decoder chips). It cost $150. That's more than my more recent purchase of a 512MB PC3200 module.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I had a PcJr. for like 11 years, but didn't have a modem until maybe I borrowed one the last month, and had no one to call.
I think my first modem I used was 1200, and it was fast enough for email and usenet iirc.

I was up to the 2400 before Usenet was available to me. The 300 was adequate for RIME and FIDO BBS .

I remember that 300 would receive text nearly as fast as a lot of people can read. That is, if you don't have to stop to figure something out, as in one place where someone confused "gravity" with "gravidity".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I remember getting my first "high speed" 1200BPS modem.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Me, too. I think I paid about a thousand dollars for it. And that was when a thousand dollars was a lot of money.
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:49:49 -0500, Mark Lloyd

I jumped in at 14.4k, cost hundreds back then. US Robotics 14.4k.
I just never knew how fast I really was then - given 300 - :-))
-- Oren