OT, but about cars. Is this true?

Page 1 of 2
Someone wrote me:

It seems to me that the cruise control doesn't know how fast you are going but it does know how fast the drive wheels are spinning and if you lose traction, they will start to spin faster, and the cruise will let off the accelerator umtil the tires slow down.
With almost no traction, as in hydroplaning, (which the cruise control will see as equivalent to going down a steep hill, where gravity cancels out drag) won't the engine speed have to drop dramatically, perhaps all the way to idling? And it won't go up again until the car regains traction.

I will admit, that iirc, I don't use cruise on wet or icy pavement, but that is because I want full control of the car and think I can take my foot off the accelerator quicker than the cruise (which might not even be true. Which do you think is faster in decelerating, me or the cruise?), but I still don't think the cruise will make the car accelerate.

Anyone know anything about this car. The post** seems like a hoax, but hoax writers often put in stuff like this to make it sound real.
**Well, actually the email I got had a lot of stuff in it, totally unrelated, nor related to cars or safety. And from a good guy who got it from a good guy, from a very good guy. I think someone was suckered.

I found one page that says the car has wiper warmers, but didn't say anything about wipers and cruise. (although it would be harder to notice)

Correct in most every case.

I use it all the time in light rain and when dry, but far less than the mile you state. Both my cars have traction control or stability control and the cruise control gets knocked off at the slightest hint of wheel slip. Not every car has that. ESC is really nifty. I was playing in the snow in our parking lot at work and it gives amazing control in slippery conditions.

at least my old car the cruise control speed was monitored by a gearbox in the speedmoter cable. i know because the gearbox failed and my speedometer went to zero
wrote in message

Because I'm the world's best non-professional driver, the following doesn't apply to me: I'm convinced that on wide open highways with very little traffic, cruise control lulls people into a mental state similar to watching late night television when you know you really should just go to bed. So, people think they're being good drivers, but in fact, they're not.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Hi, They are motor vehicle operators not drivers. Driver is the one who is in control of his/her vehicle at all times regardless of road and weather condition.
wrote in message

Yep.

That is physically impossible. Think about it: if the tires no longer have contact with the pavement, they *cannot* accellerate the car. They'll just sit there and spin. Undoubtedly, the *indicated* speed on the speedometer will increase, but equally certainly, the *actual* speed will decrease slightly.

Also physically impossible.

While that might have *seemed* to have happened, it is not possible that it actually did.
--
Regards,
On Feb 16, 1:27�pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
bigfoot.com> wrote:

well cruise controls work on oe basic safety idea, anything wierd happens and the driver will go for brakes. just touch them and cruise is turned off.
I use cruise only on wide open roads with little traffic, never in bad or rainey weather or much traffic at all.
i too believe people can get lulled into a false dream like state.
its a known fact called highway hypnosis

Isn't this the problem that caused the accident that caused Ed Smith, well known Newfoundland columnist and educator to be involved in a very serious and near fatal accident several years ago.
He is now a paraplegic and uses a special computer to 'write' and communicate?
Seem to recall that comment after that accident included advice to 'never to use cruise control on icy slippery/roads'.
The fact that cruise control was was engaged at the time appeared to have contributed to, if not caused, vehicle to become uncontrollable and drive off thr road.
Our vehicle has CC; don't like it and have never used it, under any conditions. If we ever did so it would be only in completely dry and open traffic conditions.
I do know one person who disconnected their CC after a close call when it did not disengage quickly or correctly!
Comment or correction welcomed.
terry wrote:

Hi, Using CC on icy slippery road? He must be an big time idiot!!!! All 4 of my family vehicles has CC and they are all AWD, CC is only used on straight open highways in summer time under normal weather condition. Also if one really wants to control his/her vehicle, learn to use manual shift and take some defensive driving course.

My father's instructions were simpler; he said to drive as if 3/4 of the drivers were crazy and the other 1/4 were homicidal. It's worked for 68 years ;)

Maybe I didn't get that far.

That would only be after it lights its afterburners.
Tony Hwang wrote: ...

But outside of religious miracles, things that defy basic physics don't...
The _indication_ of higher odometer speed can be true, but that's not at all the same thing as actual higher ground speed. The sensation of acceleration described by accident victims may well be true, but it's the change in direction in virtually all cases more than the change in actual speed that is the cause of their feeling of acceleration.
That in virtually all circumstances the loss of traction will result in decreased input force to the road prevents speedup on level terrain is simply a force balance.
OH PLEASE!
Hell, i drive in the city using my speedcontrol. accell, coast. etc.

In that case, you are the worst kind of driver.
And, in newsgroups, we place responses at the bottom, AFTER the text we respond to. I fixed that for you.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Hmmm, His city must have high speed limit. CC does not work at low speed.

And, there are too many things that can happen in the blink of an eye in the city. There's no good reason to use CC in the city, and no possible way to justify it.

What are you all, a bunch of city slickers. Heck, where I live it's 10 miles to take my son to school. Cruise control is used by everyone on the expressways cuz of the distances. So before you-all condem it, realize that there are lots of different folks out there with different driving situation. If you're driving 3 miles at 10 mph, you probably don't need it. But I often drive 200 or 300 or 400 miles at at time, so it definitely helps reduce the fatigue.

Doesn't matter. It shouldn't be used in close quarters. Nothing should come between the driver and the controls, no matter how easy it is to disable. There is no debate. You are not qualified to drive a car.
LMMFAO!! OVER a million accident free miles on my record. how's your's?