OT Building new computer (DIY)

Page 6 of 6

Amazing how some people get such a bug up their ass about MSFT that it becomes like an obsession. I've been using their products for twenty years and am a satisfied customer. Apparently hundreds of millions of others are too or they would be out of business by now.
Are they perfect? No. Are they tough businessmen, out to defend their turf and make a profit? Sure. So what? Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Win 7 is running right here on this PC and is, IMO, a fine and stable product.

I have most of my machines on XP Pro SP3 and they are very stable but the couple W/98SE machines I am running are pretty stable too, once you get all the patches on. That is the problem with Microsoft. Just about the time they get the bugs out, they come out with a new release. That is why I stay at least one version off the bleeding edge. Let the pioneers take the arrows.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

Agreed.
Provided you define HELL as pretty damned nice.
Back in the 70s when I first encountered UNIX at Bell Labs it was a massive improvement over the mainframes I'd used before.
Back in the 80s when I used Solaris, with a GUI and all, pretty damned nice.
Back in the 90s when I got my first Linux distribution installed, I did have to patch the ethernet driver and later a video driver, but it was still damned nice.
So the issue in front of me is 10 years ago, was UNIX hell? Well that would be 2002. Unix (Linux in particular) worked well for me.
Since then it's only gotten better.
--
Dan Espen

Yeah, time goes fast for us old guys. Change 10 to 20 or 25. Every version of Unix or Xenix had it's own quirks.
Once you learned all the quirky syntax you could make it sit up and dance. If you didn't, you couldn't get it to do anything.

Yes, every word I utter/write is a lie. As if.

Likewise, I don't care which OS you use. I'm a firm believer in choice. But, don't sit there and tell me M$ is not intrusive, maniputlative, and controlling. THAT is a bald faced lie and everyone knows it.
I have a near virgin XP netbook, probably last XP build. I rarely boot to Windows, preferring to completely bypass Windows and boot to Linux from a flash drive. Regardless, new out of the box, many of XPs native apps do not work. For instance, WMV does not function at all and will not even play the 2 example files included. Not until I get on the net and connect to microsoft.com and kiss their mangy ass or get anointed or whatever the fsck I gotta do to get them to enable the software I've already paid good $$ for. Gee, and I thought this was MY computer. Silly me. Well, fsck 'em. Let WMV rot. And, if you want to play this stupid denial game --which Windows users seem particularly adept at-- be my guest. Momma notbob never raised such a foolish child.
nb

So you bailed before XP? Should've stuck around for that one. [Win 7 is too different for this old brain to make the adjustment easily-- but it might even be better than XP if I can learn how to do what I want with it] If you haven't run windows in 10 years, how can you have an opinion on it?
That would be like me saying that Lamborghinis ride like shit. I've never been in one, but I can tell by looking at them.
I run my desktop 24/7 and probably reboot every couple or 3 weeks for some reason or other. Did it with XP for years, and now Win 7 for a couple months. Seems pretty reliable to me-
Jim

Because even though it craps out once in a while, it is simple, the apps are reasonable and plentiful, and the support base, generally, is much broader and "closer to the ground"

Really? You want to guarantee that for all of us?

Not cost effective? You get MORE in a desktop for less money than in a laptop. I'm sitting in front of a 27" monitor. Where can you get that in a laptop?
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:42:26 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

Different horses for different courses, and all in the eye of the beholder. Your experience differs from many.
Oren wrote:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz, 95 watt. I chose this because most bang for the buck for my purposes; X3 rather than X4 because of much lower power draw & heat.

ASRock AOD790GX, 140w OK, AM3 OK - $124.99. Chosen because compatible with CPU, decent price. No other reason, has been fine.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s, OEM - $69.99, 5 year warranty. Fast, good cache, fast data transfer, great warranty (paid with MC to double it). Comes in bigger capacity too, didn't need more. Specs are even better now, eg 6.0 Gb/s. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?idv0

BURN LG|GH22NS30 22X SATA - OEM $24.99. No particular reason for getting an LG but it has been fine, very happy with it. Price was certainly right :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Oren wrote:

Lots of luck. Thus far, you have a lot of basically useless comments and opinions, very little of what you asked for.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:53:57 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

I usually buy from Dell (4 new units, bought and sold many used ones). If you get a cheap Dell and it doesn't come with an OS disc for reinstall...you can ask them for one (in the US). https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form
On 7/14/2012 5:53 PM, Oren wrote:

+When I started building my own computers, I would typically go to Newegg and check ratings and reviews for each of the components, then go with that advice. All of my original builds, I used the best Asus motherboards available at the time. P4PE, P4C800E-D, P5AD2E. These are Intel socket boards, and I used the best bank for the buck processor. I used Seagate hard drives. Those machines worked flawlessly, but ultimately all of the boards crapped out except the original P4PE. At the end of the day I'm not that happy with Asus After some time of not building anything, I needed to build another batch, these are within the last two years. This time I went with Gigabyte motherboards and I5 intel processors. I also switched to WD hard drives, just for a change, the Seagates were always good to me. All my machines are running continuously, some are gaming setups, and there hasn't been the slightest hiccup from any of them.
On 7/15/2012 9:32 AM, RBM wrote:

Do you keep the dust bunnies, elephants and rhinoceroses out of your machines? ^_^
TDD

Yes, but the teenagers don't
On 7/16/2012 5:50 AM, RBM wrote:

I used to carry a 20lb Co2 cylinder with a blow gun attached to blow the dirt out of customer's computers but I'd take them outside first. ^_^
TDD

Oren, I have built a few systems for self and friends since '94. Still do upgrades, etc., but now it's less cost (and I have less time now) to just buy a complete basic system at one of the discount houses, swap out parts & sell the extra one on ebay. If I had more time, I would still be building them like you are.
So, just for info, the place I hit first around here in Calif is www.frys.com. A few times a year they will have a basic system less monitor for $199. Typically it's a no-name brand, but I have bought a dozen over the years and never had trouble with any of them. Right now I'm using one called Great Value. (I knew it had to be bottom of the line. LOL!!) But ended up buying 3 total and all are still humming away. Only had one USB port go out on one of the, and a $15 USB card fixed that.
Check out their specials -- they run full page ads in the paper which is better for me than searching a website. You can view them online also at www.frys.com -- click at the top on "See our ads".
Bob

Sounds good. In that case, maybe the recycler.com or ebay might be a possibility? I still have the first laptop I bought with Win95 on it and it still works fine for the applications I installed on it. Also have W98SE, 2000, ME and XT on machines, all running fast and fine for what they were intended.
I'm a firm believer of picking the application first and then seeing if I need to upgrade OS or hardware. I still have one of the original system-builder DVDs of Windows 7 that I got as a Frys loss leader. Never have installed because I still have not needed to upgrade yet.

I have been partial to AMDs but haven't built a computer for myself in some years (parts for the last buy are sitting in the closet collecting dust (intended as a media PC). Since laptops became more like desktops, I switched and haven't done much with components since.

Tyan or Asus were my choices.

At one time I bought nothing but IBMs. I had zero problems with them, even with the worst of the DeathStars, I had no failures. When IBM got out of the business I went to Seagates but with laptop drives I had a lot of failures, usually at quite inopportune times (traveling). It got so I'd carry a spare in my laptop case. I think this one is a WD, but I'm not sure. It's been fine for three years.

Whatever's cheap. I would buy a writer. They're cheap.

I've had *very* good luck with a cheap 16x10 (1920x1200) 24" Soyo. I bought it five years ago for $260 and it's been great. I also have an older 21" Dell but I don't use it much. I'd use both if I could get a third monitor working reliably on my laptop. I tried one of the USB display adapters but it wasn't reliable.

Nevermind! ;-) I've bought a laptop (wife's) and a netbook in that time, but no desktop stuff.

I used to do that for people (used to build several a day at work - investigating compatible parts) but found that they weren't so competent and tended to blame the hardware. It's much easier to let them buy the $400 special at BestBuy.