OT Building new computer (DIY)

My first PC was a first day ship IBM PC-1 that cost about 2 grand (employee price) with two 128k diskette drives, a tape recorder "mass storage" and a whopping 64K of RAM. (Epson dot printer and mono monitor)
Several years later I did the $300 WDWX1 controller/ST238 upgrade to a hard drive but that also required a new system board. My old one suddenly just "went bad" and I had to replace it on the M/A ... funny how that works huh? I had a problem earlier with one of those diskette drives and needed a new one too. They only had the 360K. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖

I'm thinking a large disk in mid 70's was about 20 kb or perhaps mb. ? In 1969 loading a program by paper tape into a $10k pdp 8/I first required you to manually machine code the program on switches so computer would know how to read the paper tape. Back when an oscilloscope was what you used to fix computers.
I must confess, I have found good deals at complete computers or laptops at Office Depot.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 16, 12:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I have a DEC removable from the early 80s in my basement. It's probably 18" around outside , 2 inches thick, single media and I think it held 5MB
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 05:33:52 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I made this clock with a 14, 7, 5 & 3 inch platter. Each smaller one holds more data than the larger one before it.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/clock.jpg
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:09:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ditto, though I had a single-sided diskette drive and 48K memory (the minimum available on the employee models). It didn't stay that way long, though. Within a year it had two double-sided drives and 704K memory. ;-)
I still have it, but I highly doubt it'll boot.

The original IBMs were 140K. I always ran with two drives and a third RAM drive. When I booted, the first thing AUTOEXEC did was to copy B: to C:.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:09:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

out?????
Add the price of 8kbX1 ram chips???
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 19:23:46 -0500, The Daring Dufas

My then Brother-In Law bought a PC, and by the time he had upgraded to DSDD floppies, then an add-on hard drive, and an EGA monochrome video card and monitor, it had cost him more than his new Ford Ranchwagon, loaded with 460, posi, and AC
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 00:02:35 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

MN-10. Anyone remember that little gem???
Add pictures here
✖

You are not thinking outside of the box, and are suffering from tunnel vision . A properly set-up laptop as the equal to your "big honking box" but with a smaller footprint AND a backup battery I also have no problem hooking up 2 monitors, a keyboard and a backup HD to my laptop
Just because it's "portable" does NOT mean that it cannot perform in a non-portable role as well I have 2 older laptops acting as server and firewall.
Not only are they on a smaller footprint but they also use less power.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:33:01 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

How do you hook up two monitors? Even with my docking station (a graphics card doesn't work in it, for some reason) I can only connect one external display. I used a USB adapter (they're *slow* but still useful) but it wasn't reliable enough (worked at first, then nothing, reinstall, worked, nothing...).
Battery "backup" doesn't work, either. When the power drops the system reboots or hangs. That may be a dock problem, though.

When I replace mine, they're dead. My wife's screen died last fall and for some reason it doesn't like running without it. I'll have to try again sometime.

Not as fast, either, but I don't miss that aspect at home.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 12:54:57 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The Dell Latitude laptop I have has dual monitor support but the second monitor will be a TV with an S-video port. You can then "extend" your desktop to the TV.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 13:52:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ick.
Three in dependant monitors or does one mirror one of the others?
This is the only drawback of a laptop, AFAIC. Of course, I'd have a dozen monitors if I could. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:33:01 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

I've yet to find a laptop keyboard that is a comfortable to use as my full sized MS keyboard. Even on my wife's 17" laptop. Sure you can hook up all that stuff to it but then you have to take it off if you want portability; always a compromise. Oh, I also have good speakers and a sub woofer too.

Sure it "performs", but just not as comfortable to use at my desk.

CPU is a couple of feet away and not taking valuable space. Not a consideration. I do have battery backup for about 30 minutes with a UPS, but longer does not make any difference once the router goes down. I never had the desire to sit in the dark and work on a spreadsheet.
My computer guy also charges less to work on desktops than laptops and can usually get parts faster an cheaper. If it works for you, fine, but advantages are minimal at best.
Add pictures here
✖

I have docking stations and port replicators for that. Monitor, keyboard, mouse, and assorted disk drives stay with the docking station. When I go mobile, all that stuff stays behind. I also bring my software, at the same level, with email and NG bookmarks with me. It's much better than having a desktop.

I don't see how there is a difference. I have my laptop and dock on a small shelf next to my main monitor so both are at the same level. It works fine.

How often does your hardware fail? Other than catastrophic failures (monitor) and disk drives, I don't recall the last time I had a hardware failure. Laptop "monitors" aren't reasonably replaceable but disk drives are trivial.
Add pictures here
✖

you get more processing power from a desktop,they last longer,and don't need pricey new batteries every so often. Laptops are more prone to damage from traveling,so they don't last as long. Plus,you can configure a desktop or tower PC to be a DVR and record several TV channels at the same time. you can do audio processing,converting CDs to other files,or vinyl records to digital files.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Batteries need to be replaced, perhaps, once during the life of the laptop. After market batteries aren't terribly expensive. I've had this laptop five years and replaced the battery six months back - $40. I certainly don't expect to have this laptop in another five years.

Desktops don't travel. So?

Not if you have digital cable. Besides, that's what the DVR is for.

...and that can't be done on a laptop? Shhh! Don't tell mine.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:41:31 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

You can buy a digital TV card for a PCI machine.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:22:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Does it do the DRM stuff?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:57:33 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

They have "cable cards" in them that you get authorized like a cable box. I haven't done anything with that but the guys at AVS forum can tell you more than you want to know about it. I still use my ReplayTV and I have a DVR from Dish.
I use the PC I have connected for music and streaming content directly from the net. (Hulu, HBO-Go etc)
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:33:01 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

replacement parts. And it is WHEN, not IF.
Add pictures here
✖