OT Building new computer (DIY)

Page 1 of 6
Seeking opinions of current parts.
CPU
Motherboard
Hard Drive (SATA)
DVD (SATA)
Monitor
A friend ask me to build him a new system. (no problem)
Windows 7 – clean install...
If you've built a system in the last year or two or had one built for you I would appreciate your comments.
Just the above parts are what I'm interested in. Been awhile since I built mine :-\
My work for him is free -- start to finish.
Add pictures here
✖

This is the wrong group, I'm sure-- but the last 3 I put together were 'bare bones' from either Newegg or geeks.com.
The last one was from geeks.com a few months ago-- A *de*branded HP- slimline tower- dual core E6700 processor 3.2GHz, 2GB ram, 750GB HDD, DVD burner- wireless keyboard & mouse- $200.
It would have been a real breeze if I'd known that hardware could be OS dependent. I spent a couple days trying to figure out why it wouldn't work before I emailed geeks and asked for help. They sent me to the HP page with the driver set-- which was only available for Windows 7 -- So I bought a copy of windows 7, retired my XP CD- and I've got a pretty nice machine for $300-- and a Windows 7 CD for the next box.
[I think my last monitor came from Walmart or Staples]
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On 07/14/12 05:53 pm, Oren wrote:

For years I've bought nothing but Asus motherboards, AMD CPUs and Seagate hard drives (except that I bought Hitachi drives for notebooks) -- almost all my dead drives are Western Digital. Most recently I've been buying G.Skill RAM but previously bought mostly Kingston. The DVD drives I've bought recently have been whatever was on sale at the time.
My most recent purchases have been from NewEgg.com, but TigerDirect.com has occasionally had better prices.
Perce
Add pictures here
✖

Western Digital has a perceived lower failure rate than Seagate the last few years from the websites I buy from.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/15/2012 6:48 PM, Duesenberg wrote:

The only time I've ever had a modern hard drive fail was due to overheating caused by extreme numbers of dust bunnies plugging up the air vents in a case. O_o
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:58:03 -0500, The Daring Dufas

You don't work on many computers then. Average lifespan appears to be just around the 3 1/2 years for "consumer" drives. Yes, some last 5 or six, but enough fail at less than one to even out the average. Laptop drives in particular. I've got one here on a Toshiba, 1 1/2 months out of warranty - junk.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/16/2012 3:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I work on lots of computers and the drives that I had the most problems with were some horror story clones of Seagate that came out of India. Perhaps you didn't grok what I meant, my fault. I should have written "My personal hard drives." It's been quite a while since I had one of my own hard drives fail. We've had some out of box failures of voice mail system hard drives lately and I replace drives in servers and point of sale systems all the time but I find those computers plugged up with dirt which I believe leads to the failure of most computer systems. ^_^
PS, Some of my hard drives are still working after 10 years but they're not hammered 24/7. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:14:55 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I've had plenty fail in boxes you could eat out of - but heat definitely makes it worse - and dirt makes heat worse.
On laptops, people actually using them "on their lap" does cause them to run hot, in many cases. So does sitting on a desk with a loose sheet of paper sucked up onto the air intake - - - - - -
Add pictures here
✖

I have magnets from a couple dozen bad hard drives from various sources, usually "dead" machines I was given.. several were drives I bought. Most were from W/D Caviars. Certainly more than every other brand combined. I won't ever buy one again. Unfortunately there are only a couple companies making all the brands these days.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 15, 8:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm not sure that proves much about W/D. Isn't it just possible they were the supplier for the systems you bought. Meaning if they had used brand Y, you would have gotten a lot of dead machines with brand Y drives instead.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 05:24:10 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

WD has a good rep now. It's gone up and down, like all the others. Worst drives I've had were IBM. Maxtors were good, but the WD Caviar Blacks I've been running for the past +2 years are the most flawless I've had.
--
Vic

Add pictures here
✖
On 7/16/2012 8:37 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

I agree with your statement that all manufacturers take turns at being the worst. Western Digital did have a bad rep for a while I thought.
I was always a Quantum fan, then Maxtor fan and always avoided WD but when Maxtor got bought out I tried a WD drive about 6 years ago and was won over.
The one Seagate I purchased in that time was about 8 months ago and of course to my luck, S.M.A.R.T. says it's gonna fail.
There are alot of WD haters out there and I understand why.
The worst was Futjitsu(sp?) back in the mid 90's I think.
Add pictures here
✖

The MPG series. For several years I sold hundreds of Fujitsu drives, and they ROCKED. Excellent speed, and a failure rate below single digits percentage-wize. Then the built a plant in Thailand and put part of the operating firmware on the platter - and it all went to hell in a handbasket. The first 30 MPG drives I sold, 29 died before the first year was up. About half were replaced under warranty and failed again before the warranty expired - by which time they had stopped building desktop hard-drives and just started paying full refunds so you could replace with whatever you wanted that was available. I THINK there is still ONE of those MPG drives still in opperation somewhere.
Pretty well killed Fujitsu in the hard drive and computer market.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/16/2012 8:14 AM, Duesenberg wrote:

The worst drives I ever bought/sold were clones of Seagate made in India. I haven't seen one in years so I suppose the manufacturer is not around anymore. O_o
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 07:37:08 -0500, Vic Smith

Just need to rember black and blue are different. TOP LINE drives from any manufacturer are generally pretty decent. "consumer grade" stuff from pretty well any manufacturer is pretty dicey.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 05:24:10 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

If I didn't still have a bunch of drives from other companies running, I might agree. I still have a Fijitsu 1.6g that lived in my car for 8 years, cranking up in 140 degree ambients most of the summer and at least 100 most of the rest of the year. It still works. I have some old Maxtors and a couple IBM/Hitachis that are a decade old. I have to look around for a working W/D, just to hook up so data lifeguard tools will run. Fortunately it only has to report, it doesn't have to actually work.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:28:41 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've amassed a colection od about 100 HDD magnets from all manufacturers - and definitely more WD Cavs than Seagate Baracudas.
Add pictures here
✖

Emphasize the "percieved"
Add pictures here
✖
Oren wrote:

Hi, I usually buy barebone kit from eBay and add thing as I need. I always had good luck with ASUS, or Gigabyte mobo, HDD, the bigger cache the better. And good video card is very important.
Add pictures here
✖

When you can buy a whole system for $400, and given the problems that can arise, the idea of building a system for someone else out of parts doesn't seem like a very good idea to me. Also factor in that the $400 system comes with a legal version of Windows 7, a warranty and someone to go to for support. You can also typically get MSFT office for another $100, 3 years of antivirus for $40, etc.
Just saying, sounds like aggravation and a good way to ruin a friendship.
Add pictures here
✖