OT - Building a ball and chain

Page 3 of 3

stuff they plug old holes with to redrill used balls. Take in the ball, and the eyebolt with a few nuts and washers small enought to fit in the hole, and see how much they would charge to flow it full of the stuff they use. I don't know how strong the stuff is against getting pulled out, but it seems to hold up against the G-loads of getting dropped repeatedly pretty well.
Failing that, I'd try what the other guy suggested about a compression plug. Basically a jam nut and washer on bottom end of bolt, some thick rubber washers, and another jam nut and washer on visible end. Hard part will be getting a wrench on the visible end, around the shaft of the eye bolt, if it is below surface of ball. Know anybody with a set of crow-foot wrenches? You'll want to rough up the inside of the hole so the rubber can get traction.
aem sends....
Add pictures here
βœ–
I don't get it. Guy wants to marry but wants to participate in a stripper act? As part of the celebratory events surrounding the marriage?
Looks like the guy should just forget the marriage idea and stay single.
David Todtman

Add pictures here
βœ–

He dosn't know about it yet.
Add pictures here
βœ–

When's his fiancι going to tell him, when they're standing in front of the priest?
Joel. phx
Add pictures here
βœ–

Nowadays most young bachelors expect some stripper action.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bob) wrote:
Wow...lot of work. Get a cheap basketball, cut a hole in it, fill it with cement, put the chain in (make sure it's linked to a small bar or anchor) let sit. Cut away the B-Ball material...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thank you all for your advice and saftey warnings.
It sounds like some of you have had success with just drilling a hole and screwing the bolt in. I will try this next, if it is loose, will try will mixed epoxy on the threads.
I will start with a smaller test bolt to see how this goes. Would wood screw type threads be better than regular machine threads for this? I don't even know if I could find an eye bolt with wood threads.
I will have to yank the old eye bolt out, shouldn't be that hard, and I will have to remove the gunk in that hole as best I can. When I started doing it this way I thought it would work, damn. Never worked with epoxy before.
While I am at home depot I will look for some kind of way to do the compression ring thing, but as someone said I couldn't turn the top nut past the visible end. I could use a jamb nut and washer setup on the back end and turn the eye bolt, but this would move the bolt further out of the hole, aesthetically this is not what I want.
The bowling pro shop was one of the best ideas I heard, but I would rather do it myself, and I don't thikn they would be keen on the idea of making restraints for people.
If the drilling fails and fails odviously because of tapping problems, I might try to drill than tap. If that fails I am going JB weld in the other fingerhole all at once. I was doing it a day at a time before because I didn't think the stuff would set in a big puddle of itself, I thought it had to be thin layers.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob wrote:

Yes, they are called "lag screws" instead of wood threads when they get that big. I think a long lag-screw eye bolt screwed into a hard rubber bowling ball will be hard enough to unscrew you don't have to worry about it. Try backing it out yourself, and if you can unscrew it, lube the threads with just about any kind of glue when you put it back.
You could also drill an oversized hole and put in a lead shield for the lag bolt.
I think the hard part will be drilling a 1/2" or 5/8" hole in the ball.
Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12 Jul 2004 10:55:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bob) wrote:

Should be easy to find.

Another option, assuming you had a long enough bit, would be to drill a hole all the way through the ball big enough for the bolt to slide through. You'd need a looooong bolt, btw. Then drill a larger hole on opposite end deep enough to countersink the nut you'll use to hold the eyebolt in place. With a washer, lockwasher, and some locktite, it won't be going anywhere.
But I still agree with the other guy that recommended premixing some 5-minute epoxy, fill the hole completely, then insert the bolt. Several tubes of the liquid two part epoxy should work just fine. Might want to grab a friend to help with this. You'll have to work fast. Forget about digging out the failed attempt. Use a fresh fingerhole for this.
----------- Proton Soup
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."
Add pictures here
βœ–
Proton Soup wrote:

Don't pee in what?
Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–

'A wise man does not piss into the wind'
very useful thing to know when you're rowing during the winter.
Add pictures here
βœ–

My latin is virtually non-existant, but that doesn't look like a good translation, to me. Seems as if it ought to be ad ventum, if you want into/towards the wind. non unrinat in ventum looks like "go inside to piss, if it's windy" to me. Placement, as opposed to orientation.
-Goedjn
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:38:42 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@uri.edu"

BTW, I not that good at it either, but when used with the accusative, "in" denotes into, towards, or against.
AFAIK, this isn't a classical Latin quote, but comes off some relatively recent arch erected in Copenhagen, I think. But privately, I like to imagine there was a sort of Latin Ben Franklin out there who published a tablet inscribed with wise sayings that all began "Homo sapiens non...". To think that is the origin or our species name gives me great joy.
----------- Proton Soup
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."
Add pictures here
βœ–

I was picturing the jamb nut method.
If you get the bolt length right (with relation to the depth of the hole), you should be able to place the eye down in the hole and turn it (directly, or by the first link of the attached chain) with a vice-grips. Once it begins to tighten up, the eye shouldn't move much at all, as the rubber is compressed. If anything, it should move in, just a bit.
--
Stephen
Home Page: stephmon.com
Bob wrote:

Bob, I'd say go with the concrete. It wil be less work, and the results will look better. A bowling ball, no matter what you do to it, is going to look like... well, a bowling ball. :-)
You don't even need the bolts, just suspend the end of a piece of chain right in to the cement while it cures, paint the ball (optional) and you're done.
For detailed, step by step instructions, see:
http://come.to/pervy.tool.time /

Try:
http://www.sub-shop.com/catalog/frameList.cfm?GroupId 92&ProductStart
Third item down would be good for a ball and chain I would think. Actually, that looks good, but I'm not sure if that locks, but the same place will probably have something that does, browse through the pages.
(Please don't ask me how I know about these URLs.) ;-)
--

- Jeff

βœ–
So it turns out I was retarded, and all you have to do is drill a hole and screw it in. No tapping required. I added some epoxy for good measure, some in the hole and then coating the bolt. I screwed it in and took the extra epoxy that seaped out and smoothed it around the hole and bolt because it looks cool and was easier than wiping it off.
The failed attempt in the finger hole came out no problem, and there was no real trouble cleaning the non-set epoxy out,just a mess. I was even able to reuse the bolt.
I am going to find a leather strap to make the shackle out of so it will be more comfortable.
Also, if you ever do this and are drilling by hand, start with a small drill bit and build up to a bit that is a smidge smaller than the actual bolt diameter. The unsteadyness of hand drilling into a round object caused the drill to oscilate enough to mill the hole out to the actual bolt diameter. My actual 1/2 inch drill bit made a hole too big for my 1/2 inch bolt, had to drill twice.
Thanks for the advice.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Marriage is a committment between man and woman. Hiring a stripper is a totally awful way to build trust and get the committment started.
A ball and chain symbolic of a wife, is a totally terrible idea, also. Someone (probably you) doesn't understand the covenant of marriage.
Rethink the entire idea. You're a marriage wrecker.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Add pictures here