OT - Building a ball and chain

Page 2 of 3
Bob wrote:

Bondo, or properly mixed epoxy, or you might try melting some sulfur and pouring it in the hole.
Instead of using the finger hole, you might try drilling a new hole just the right size for an eye bolt with a 5" or 6" lag screw.
Bob

I've used bondo before, and I doubt it's strong enough for this job. But I believe epoxy is.
I think sulfur can be rather weak and/or brittle, and it is combustible, and produces flammable vapors at some temperatures when melted. Also, some metals may spontaneously ignite in molten sulfur. Not that I think any screws will get burned up, but a mess of burning molten sulfur can be a big problem. Keep in mind that sulfur, like methanol, burns with a dim blue flame that may be invisible in bright light. Sometimes a sulfur flame is visible from brownish sulfur vapors being visible, but don't count on that.

forget all this epoxy and using the existing holes. just drill a hole in the bowling ball the same size as the shaft of the eye bolt. drill it in a strategic location so you can stuff a couple sticks or rods in the existing finger holes to give you leverage to screw in the eye into the hole you just drilled. use 6" of threads on the eye bolt and he's not gonna unscrew it..
as for a shackle, a visit to the pet store should provide somethign workable.
randy

You're supposed to mix resin and hardener with each other before applying. You should apply thoroughly mixed epoxy to whatever you are gluing.

Why not a compression type rubber plug? You may have seen those deals with the cylindrical piece of hard rubber, sandwiched between two washers, with a bolt and nut to draw them together, compressing the rubber and causing its diameter to expand (this is how the handgrips are held on my motorcycle and a lot of boats use this setup as a drain plug). Find, or fashion one, with an eye-bolt and Home Depot parts.
--
Stephen
Home Page: stephmon.com

What a colossal waste of time, effort, and epoxy!
--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Unfortunately not too original. About 4 months ago a friend of mine called me around 1 am, knowing that I am a night-owl, to ask if he could pop over for a quick emergency shop visit.
He shows up with a 15 lb lead ball chained to his foot. His buddies had taken him out for his bachelor party and had attached it at the strip club.
He was not amused. The guy who had made it had asked that he leg shackle not be destroyed so I just cut through the hinge link to remove it.
They had used a deep sea fish net weight. Basically a lead ball with a steel eye-hook cast in it.

Some weeks ago some guy got killed at his bachelorparty.. He and his friends were paragliding.. They had towed the dude (wearing a parachute ) after a car at an old airstrip here.. Police got involved, but I am not sure if any of the participants were charged....
Sometimes these parties can get out of control.. Esp. if large quantities of alcohol is part of the game..
Be responsible and dont do to others what you dont want done to yourself!
/peter

The funniest thing I've seen: downtown vancouver a month ago, a bunch of guys had his bud strip to a thong and had him break dance in the middle of the street. The dancing was absolutely attrocious! funniest thing I've seen in a longest time.

That shackle was probably expensive.

This would save me a lot of time, might look for one, unfortunatly I am landlocked.

First, in general, don't mix epoxy in place, do it on a sheet of newspaper or in a paper cup (depending how much you need), and if you're going to take more than a couple of minutes to get everything in place, don't use ten-minute stuff...
Secondly, you'd do better to drill a new hole in the ball which you can screw the bolt into; either use a vice to tighten it or put a bit of epoxy down the sides of the hole before screwing the bolt in and it won't be coming out by hand.
Peter
We did this where I used to work. They drilled a separate hole for the eyebolt. Everyone is right on about mixing epoxy by itself if you're dead set. Drill out the old stuff, it will never set. We didn't use a shackle, just looped the chain around the victim's leg and locked the end back to the chain, but needs padding if it's on for very long. Every ball got the names of the couple and several had to be retired due to lack of space. Some had a nice handle so they could keep on working, or go to the bathroom...
Joel. phx

So you just drilled into a bowling ball and did not tap it for threads? Just drill it tight and screw it in?
"Bob" wrote: So you just drilled into a bowling ball and did not tap it for threads? Just drill it tight and screw it in? ^^^^^^^^^^^ Bob, you just gave me another idea which I think would work fine, and would also provide an escape, in case of emergencies. Drill a hole to fit one of those threaded inserts that's used to anchor bolts in comcrete. You drop a little cone into the bottom of the hole, and then hammer the insert down. The cone spreads it, locking it in. You then screw in an eyebolt.

If you did it that way what would stop him from unscrewing it in the bathroom? There shouldn't be too many emergancies, we arn't leaving his house. And we will have to play it by ear if we do.
"Bob" wrote: If you did it that way what would stop him from unscrewing it in the bathroom? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^ That same question would apply to all the suggestions about drilling and tapping, or drilling and screwing in a threaded eyebolt to an untapped hole.

When you screw in an eye-bolt with a wrench, you have at least twenty centimetres of leverage and a better grip. When you try to unscrew it with your fingers, you need to try to get about the same angular force with one centimetre of leverage. So unless your mate is about twenty times stronger than you are, he isn't going to unscrew it by hand.
Peter
Peter Allen wrote:

Well with everything set, it still appears you can turn the bolt by hand, but barley. I if I tapped threads I could probably get it to screw lock down in there with a big wrench and he would never get it off by hand.
--Falooley
Bob wrote:

the threads on the eye bolt.. then push the eye bolt into the hole and turn it until it bottoms out...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bob) wrote in message

I wouldn't trust anything less than epoxy for this, but I would still want a mechanical bond as well, such as with threads or horizontal grooves in the hole or a tapered hole (bottom wider than top).
Whenever epoxy failed to harden for me, it was because I hadn't mixed it thoroughly enough or had mixed the wrong proportions of hardener and resin, the latter especially with quick-setting epoxy, which I've been told is less tolerant of this. Liquid epoxy can be thickened by mixing sand into it, and this is done with commercial applications.
My grandmother had a genuine prison ball and chain, left behind by a prisoner who borrowed from tools from her shed to take it off.