OT - Browsers for Old Timers with Old OS's

Page 2 of 2
alt.home.repair:

I just looked at their rules, and Best Buy won't take any tube TVs larger than 32". My 36" one weighed well over 100 lbs, so I guess I can understand why they don't want to deal with it.

I hope it ended up still being used. I'd hate for a perfectly good, if slightly obsolete, TV to be destroyed,
Funny (to me) story. Since the TV was so big and awkward and heavy, I got a friend with a van to help me lug it down my front stairs and into the van and the collection site. We huffed and puffed and had to put it down once to rest. When we got to the site, I offered to help move it to their truck, but almost before I got the words out, this high- school-age kid had already bear-hugged the TV and hoisted it onto his shoulder all by himself.
Nil wrote:

Our local recycle depot take in any thing small like old PC free but heavy stuff like CRT TV set, they charge 5.00 which is donated to charity. So whatever it is, it is a matter of taking it to them. Also Staples near my home accepts small things like printers, old monitors, used toner cartridges, etc. Then recycle depot truck collects them. In our city we have 3 trash carts supplied by the city. One for real trash, one for recyclable, one for organic waste like left over food stuffs for composting. Pick up date is fixed, once every week.
On Thu, 07 May 2015 15:18:12 -0400, Nil

I have 3 or 4 broken 19" CRT tvs that I may have fixed or may be cllose, but I've lost interest, and if I don't get them out of the house soon, like within the next 5 years, I'll be too weak to do it.
Plus a 23 or 25" CRT TV in the basement which isn't heavy but it's so big.

can

if

into

it

house

I've got a 30 year old Zenith 19-inch TV in the garage (for emergency hiding purposes). Hooked it up with one of those "free" govt A to D converters and it works just fine.
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 3:19:18 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

e.
That's what I thought until I picked-up a custom made PC (case, Asus M/B,w/ 4Gb) from Goodwill...when I asked about policy, a manager said they take si ngle computers. I paid $8, and after a cleaning, re-doing CPU thermo-compou nd, adding: P/S, HDD, ODD, Vid card (scrapped parts)...I have a good perfor mer.
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

I am a long time user for Seamonkey.
On 05/05/2015 09:06 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

I've got a Win2K box at work and it is what it is. Very few current programs will even install. Upgrading is problematic too, both because of the system requirements of the newer systems and unless you have a copy of the XP or 7 installation media stashed someplace or can find it online you're out of luck.
I can't recommend Linux either. disclaimer: I'm an old fart and I'm sending this from a OpenSUSE 13.2 machine but software is how I pay the rent. The new distros are a lot better but unless the Old Timers are computer literate, it isn't going to work.
On 5/5/2015 11:06 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Might pose question to Firefox ng in news.mozilla.org Very helpful people there.
On 05/05/2015 10:06 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

There are no "newer" browsers for Win2k.
The best bet is to take the suggestion to get one of those $80 Win7 machines.
Note: if they are on dial-up...of course check to see if the new computer even has a modem
The GUI can be set to "classic" and it will be fairly similar to the familiar Win2k desktop.
If they cannot afford $80, the only viable alternative would be Linux.
On 5/5/2015 11:06 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

You might find something but the harsh reality is people with old computers and old operating systems seldom (if ever) make donations to the software authors.
Maybe check whitehouse.guv for a free ObamaBrowser?
We have a Fry's a few miles away, haven't been there in years. How are they for rebuilt PCs? It's just about the same distance in a different direction to a Micro Center. Which of the two should I visit first?
On 05/06/2015 07:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Is $99 too much?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Off-Lease-Refurbished-GX745-Small-Form-Factor-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-2GB-Memory-160GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Professional/19900544

are they for rebuilt PCs?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Off-Lease-Refurbished-GX745-Small-Form-Fac tor-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-2GB-Memory-160GB-Hard-Drive -and-Windows-7-Professional/19900544
Wow! That's perfect. Thanks SP. Looks like that one is gone by now, but plenty of other under $150. This may not be fact, but I have heard so many bad stories about problems with upgrading or adding to Dell computers, I'll get something else.
I bought 3 "Great Quality" brand desktop PC's at Frys for $159-199 around 2003-4, installed Win2000 and never had one lick of trouble with any of them. Still using all 3 of them.
I also got a Great Quality laptop with XP on it later. The hinges fastening the display to the case were so tight, the plastic case broke within a few weeks. I took it apart and found the replacement parts on ebay, but ended up I just used some contact cement and worked fine. But the air circulation within the case was not good and pretty soon it was overheating and heading south. External fan would have been the thing to do, but didn't realize it until it was too late. Then soon after that, the system froze up and it became a paper weight. That's when I started looking to upgrade.
Since getting the Win 8.1, I have talked to everyone I know and no one so far has 8.1. None of the Win7 folks are sticking with it.
Which reminds me -- I have a Win 7 DVD around here somewhere. I hate to wipe a new OS, but that's what I'll do when I find it..... 8.1 seems to be getting harder and harder to use the more I work with it. To print files, the easiest way is to convert to PDF, uppload to a website with 2000, download to 8.1 and print.
Other things I don't like about this HP laptop -- it has a rear-facing camera. I taped over it but the lovely Miseries Snuffy still won't use it. Also, what I don't like is it (and the HP printer) have a wireless on/off key. I don't use any wireless due to security concerns here, but it's always getting turned on accidentally, both with laptop and printer.
Ah, the good old days of stupid phones, parallel printers that don't talk back, simple parallel scanners that SCAN every time. It sounds goofy, but, outside of videos and making it easy to spend money online, I can't see any improvements with basic, garden variety, no frills computing. I even still have an electronic typewriter that I can't use because it has a parallel port -- was super at printing on mutilpart forms, which was a breeze with the TI 99/4a! LOL!!
On Sat, 16 May 2015 19:41:21 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

Win 7 service pack 1 is as stable as XP was, and almost as simple to use. Win 8 and 8.1 are a totally different story. I've downgraded quite a few computers from 8X to 7, and have upgraded a few from XP to 7 as well. As for the camera and wifi you can very easily disable them from the control panel/device manager so they can never become a security issue. If the device driver is not enabled, they are just spare hardware bits sitting in the case.

How are they for rebuilt PCs?

[...]

Thanks for the info about Win 7. Two of my PC's have 2GB RAM. Fast enough to run Win 7?
On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 9:32:18 PM UTC-5, Snuffy Hub Cap McKinney wrote:

My .02 would be...adequate for W7 32-bit.

Fast enough to run Win 7?

What's a .02?
On 05/20/2015 01:49 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

About .3 Mexico Peso
On 5/20/2015 4:13 AM, bubba wrote:

or about .03c?

OK, OK... I got it. The old Grecian urn trick. Second time I fell for that this week.