OT - Browsers for Old Timers with Old OS's

Page 1 of 2
Can anyone recommend a browser for Win 2000 more functional than IE6 or Firefox 12. Those are the latest versions available for Win 2000 and several issues browsing with both of them. Upgrading OS is not possible in this particular situation -- dealing with elderly folks in another city.
It's important that these folks keep internet access because it's the only outside resource many of them have. But upgrading to a newer OS is not something they can do without help.
I have searched online and no luck so far.
Thanks in advance.
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 10:02:36 AM UTC-5, Snuffy Hub Cap McKinney wrote :

irefox 12. Those are the latest versions available for Win 2000 and severa l issues browsing with both of them. Upgrading OS is not possible in this particular situation -- dealing with elderly folks in another city.

y outside resource many of them have. But upgrading to a newer OS is not something they can do without help.

Opera will work on it...but I don't know anything about it?
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 10:15:46 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:

te:

Firefox 12. Those are the latest versions available for Win 2000 and seve ral issues browsing with both of them. Upgrading OS is not possible in thi s particular situation -- dealing with elderly folks in another city.

nly outside resource many of them have. But upgrading to a newer OS is no t something they can do without help.

Some sites say Win 2K and others say XP compatibility...they ARE very simil ar!
On 05/05/2015 10:19 AM, bob_villa wrote:

According to http://www.oldapps.com/opera.php Opera 12.10 beta (from October 2012, about 7 months later than Firefox 12) is the latest version to work with Windows 2000.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
writes:

Most people in this situation just buy a new computer. It seems crazy, but new systems are pretty cheap.
If I had to support a system remotely, I'd install Linux. The average user won't be able to tell the difference.
Win 2K, as good as it was compared to some of it's predecessors, is a lost cause. Either upgrade the OS or live with what has been working.
You can call in Geek Squad or it's equivalent if you can't get there yourself.
--
Dan Espen

Even some old computers off ebay can be bought very cheap with the OS installed. Have one shipped to you , install whatever is needed and reuse the old packing to send it to wherever it needs to go. I have bought several that way.
On 5/5/2015 11:59 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Newegg has a dell 745 for 79.99 with win7 and free shipping

Wow, that would probably end up cheaper than calling geek squad for anything. I don't think you can even upgrade win2k to win7 for that price.
--
Dan Espen

On 5/5/2015 2:36 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

getting windows 7 is a barrier, I've been using linux Mint on some of my old computers. That one on newegg it's a slim one so only half cards .. but if person wants they can upgrade the ram and processor. Kind of trading dollars at some point but it's kind of fun to boost an old computer up to decent speed. search geekbench dell optiplex 745 to see what it takes.
On 5/5/2015 2:22 PM, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

Microcenter (microcenter.com) is another good online source of rebuilt pcs at good prices. But if you have a local pc shop or better yet, an electronics recycling center nearby, they probably will have rebuilt or secondhand pcs for sale.
On 5/5/2015 4:08 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I'll second Microcenter
Nemo wrote:

I assembled my own desktop when needed. Get barebone laptop, customize myself. It may cost more but I know inside out of them and have quality componewnts.

That's so good to hear but I think the topic was old folks without much money.
snipped-for-privacy@bubba.com wrote:

I also get some useful broken stuffs cheap, fix it and give it to needy. Lot of people just buy new one when what they have is broken. Like a good laptop with broken LCD display I replace broken LCD. I have boxful of all kinda parts.
On 5/6/2015 3:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Charities in US will not take an old computer or TV even if they work fine.
Frank wrote:

Recycle depot takes any thing electronic. Last year I fixed about 20 laptops. Gave away couple of them, sold the rest on Kijiji or eBay had good pocket money. Being retired I have time to do this. I just fixed a high end WiFi router which was not really broke but needed CFE reload to revive it using serial console and Jtag. This one is becoming my main router for my home network. Lots of fun.

Suire they will.
They probably won't take a 100 pound tv, and maybe not a projection tv, but if the TV is portable without straiing, they'll take it.
Maybe they won't take a win98 computer,
On 5/6/2015 6:33 PM, micky wrote:

Best Buy as a service to customers takes all used electronics. Wife gave them an old vacuum cleaner the other day but bought a new one at another store. I gave them three perfectly good CRT TV's.
alt.home.repair:

I looked into that a few months ago, and as I recall, it wasn't *ALL* used electronics. I had a 36-inch CRT TV, and they would not take it. It exceeded either their size or weight limit. Maybe they would have taken it if I had paid them to - I forget.
I eventually paid $20 to my town at their annual hazardous waste collection day. The TV was in perfectly good working order.
On Wed, 06 May 2015 23:34:04 -0400, Nil

Right.

I don't think so.
And they don't take things that are disassembled. Which I think in practice means things people tried to repair and then stopped in the middle .

Because it's so big, I'm not sure Goodwill or other charitable thrift stores woudl have taken it, but if they did, they woudl have sold it as a TV.