OT - Broadcast Antenna Reception

That was my first guess too.

Reply to
zzyzzx

Look here

on page 5 at the paragraph titled "DTV Why Now". They haven't even set a deadline for low-power and translator stations yet.

And here

is an FCC document that directly addresses low-power and translator stations.

A neighboring cabin near mine in Flagstaff AZ is owned by the chief engineer of Channel 10 and Channel 45 in Phoenix (incidentally, he has the best TV reception in the area, walked his roof with a portable spectrum analyzer while deciding where to position his antenna). He's got his hands full just transitioning his full-power stations. They haven't even started thinking about the repeaters around the state yet

- well, maybe thinking but not doing yet. I imagine equipment budget has a lot to do with it. That, and there's no hard deadline.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

and I bet he came up with putting the antenna on the side of the house closest to the transmitters and out of the way as possible from any trees or other obstructions?.

Reply to
Bob

Jerry wrote: ...

I repeat these are _not_ LP translators -- they're as strong (or stronger) than the metro stations for which they translate -- we're located almost 70 miles from the nearest--LP don't cut it.

That document also notes over 2000 have committed to DTV in the class despite the lack of a mandate under which they could apparently escape if they were to choose to do so. The point is, it's apparently their call which way to go.

What that particular station has decided to do has nothing whatever to do w/ what these have decided; which afaik is still to make the switchover of them at the same time based on the information they're putting out on their plans and the conversion.

--

Reply to
dpb