OT Broadband costs

Page 1 of 2
My CenturyLink bill including DSL went up another $20 to $106 - DSL now $80. Called CL for possible reduction but people incompetent. I'll have to go back to dial-up. Don't watch TV so no cable.
Can anyone think of any options? Later will Google for local non-cable broadband but don't have much hope.
TIA

It may depend on the area, but you may not need the TV service part of cable to get cable internet. I did have cable TV and internet,but a few months ago I went to Direct TV and just kept the internet of cable.
This is for Time Warner internet by cable and is $ 57 per year. I did by my own modem for about $ 50 to advoid their modem monthly charge. They have several rates depending on the speed. At $ 57 I am on the 50 meg down and 6 meg up. It should be 15 down and 1 up , butg lately they upgraded it at no charge. Probably to compete with a fiber network going in around the area.
I think their very basic plan is about $ 15 a month.
On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 12:37:07 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

That's how it works here in NJ with Cablevision. Who knows what's available where the OP is located.... The options are limited by what's locally available.
KenK wrote:

According to their web page...
http://www.centurylink.com/home/bundles/ (scroll down)
you should be able to get phone + INet for no more than $65. Plus the inevitable taxes, fees, etc. In my case (Verizon) phone + 6 MB Inet is about $50, fees/etc add another 40%.
The whole problem with ALL these goniffs is their damned bundles. It was like pulling hen's teeth to get a price for just a basic phone (about $20); once I had that, I could talk to them about Inet.

Evidently what they advertise and what you can actually buy are two different things.
KenK wrote:

1. Pick up phone
2. Call them
3. Tell them you want to switch to package "X"
4. If they give you static, say, "Let me speak to your supervisor".
5. Repeat #4 until you get what you want
TWC [time warner cable] here
$15 a month, and i'm very happy [and i use a router also; 2 computers]
although it may not be fast[?] enough for some
marc
On 10/14/2015 10:44 AM, KenK wrote:

number of the intermediary you found online. The customer support people don't have the same freedom as the other entry points. I accosted the installer for my neighbor's system and got the phone number for the guy in charge of FIOS for the city. His staff has options for better deals and cash incentives than the normal customer support channels.
EXACTLY where you're located is critical. The junction boxes for cable and fiber are in my front yard. I have 30Mb unlimited fiber for $30/month. Could get the same in cable for $35/month. Phone is google voice and an OBI100 interface that cost me $40. TV is "antenna TV". Better pix than cable for network TV.
My emergency flip-fone is with PagePlus on the verizon network. $30/year Also have a MagicJack phone interface that costs $35 a year. Don't need all that, but this whole phone/data/tv business is in continuous flux. I keep it...just in case.
The way this is set up, it avoids almost all of the taxes and fees. I expect that will change eventually. MagicJack is already starting to add about $5/year in fees, although I think it's just obfuscating a rate increase.
I have 1GB/month 6Mb internet for free with FreedomPop wireless. It's WiMax, so it will be gone on Nov 6. They have a replacement service with 4G LTE. The 500MB free part is still free, but if you need more, it's much more expensive than WiMax. You have to have good Sprint coverage to make it work. Lots of complaints about their cheap hotspots to access it. Keep an eye on 'em. Chatter suggests that there may be more options by the end of the year. If you go with them, tread carefully. They are masters of hidden "services" that you have to opt out of.
I have a friend who uses this. https://www.metropcs.com/30-phone-plans.html He pays $5/month extra for tethering. He also has cable internet, so while he thinks the tethered connection is really fast, he's never used it enough to pass the 1GB/month limit and revert to dead slow, but still free, 2G-speed data.
There's another option for Xfinity. Their home installations have an additional hotspot channel. Maybe you could offer a neighbor some monthly cost sharing and get access to their hotspot channel.
Sounds like you don't have these options in your location.
And there's another fly in the ointment... If you plan to use windows 10, be prepared for a huge increase in internet data requirements. I've been playing with 4 windows 10 systems. I don't watch videos, so my internet needs are modest. I went from ~2.5GB/month to 30GB/month when I started messing with win10. This should throttle back when win10 settles down... I hope...It's already down to ~20GB/month.
KenK wrote:

for full featured cable TV, two phones with free NA calls, Inet with 50Mbps DL/5 Mbps UL. Quite expensive. Very reliable service overall.

How do I reach that rep? Do you know? If not, will try Googling.

Cancel your service, they will call you.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

You don't have to cancel, just mention it. After a phone conversation yesterday, supposedly I now have a much lower DSL rate. The November bill will tell all!
On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 9:10:12 AM UTC-7, KenK wrote:

We have AT&T's u-verse 15 mbps ($52) and unlimited land line phone service ($45) a month, but if you're way out in the boonies that option won't help much
On 10/14/2015 9:10 AM, KenK wrote:

We dumped CenturyLink (ne Qwest) after a year. They wanted to increase the $20/month service to something like $56.
Dumping them was VERY painful! It eventually took 7 phone calls (and many hours on the phone). Along the way, they managed to disconnect our land line service (which required a call to get REconnected), etc.
Want NEW service? Go to their web page and click, click, click. Want to DISCONTINUE service? Ah, now you have to wait for a dweeb to mishandle your VERBAL order.
Thankfully, in our case, we kept meticulous notes as to who we talked with, times, dates, etc.
CATV has a *worse* reputation, here. Quick to take your money but dog slow to handle problems with service, outages, etc. Friends have nothing but bad things to say about them.
[This from second-hand accounts; we've never had cable, here, and see no reason to head down that road]
We ended up with a local provider and a point-to-point microwave link (rooftop dish pointed at a location in the foothills). After a few years, the only problem came when a tree in the line-of-sight about half a mile from here grew *into* the radio path. They sent out a guy who relocated the antenna the next morning...
IMO, CL is stupid for *not* offering a dirt cheap $20/month service "no strings attached". Sooner or later, they'll lose all their POTS subscribers and all of that buried copper/fiber will sit WASTED!
On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 1:50:30 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

I also keep meticulous notes about the problem, time I called, who I spoke with, etc. It saves a lot of time trying to remember what they said, I said, what was promised and on and on.
On 10/14/2015 11:57 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

We do it as a matter of course for all our phone contacts. It was a habit that I formed from dealing with clients on the phone (who invariably have "selective memory" regarding what was said and/or agreed upon).
I much prefer email contact, now, as it forces both sides to "document" what they are saying. :>

That/s why I prefer to use email. But the companies often don't answer it nowadays, or insist on you giving them a phone number and then use that instead of email. I suspect just to make it more difficult to keep meticulous records.
On 10/15/2015 10:44 AM, KenK wrote:

Note that most customer service calls are recorded nowadays.
Rather, I think it is probably because it is usually easier to get all the "missing details" via a brief telephone exchange than to play "email tag" -- especially if there is any subtlety in the information sought.
If you had to rely on users to report the necessary detail to resolve an issue, you'd invariably end up "solving" the wrong problem. Company wonks tend to speak whatever "language"/jargon is appropriate for their business. That often doesn't map easily onto colloquial English (and, folks often are inept at doing that "translation").
In an interactive exchange, you can fine-tune the other party's understanding of the issue being discussed:
"When you say your phone is 'broke', do you mean it now lies in a pile of several small pieces? Or, that there is no sound coming from the earpiece? Or, that the other party can't hear what *you* are saying? Or, that the 'dial' doesn't work? Or, ..."
E.g., in a conversation, I can ask, "While you don't hear any *dialtone*, do you hear a faint 'click' when you toggle the cradle switch on/off hook? (i.e., is there *battery* present on the line)" This is not the sort of detail that folks would *offer* in a report of "no dialtone".
[There's a good reason why customer service "scripts" exist. Unfortunately, too often, the droids cling to those scripts and abandon all independent thought!]
Don Y posted for all of us...

to live person because aren't getting anywhere without it. I called Verizon once and after I got "your call call is being recorded for training and business purposes" I repeated the same exact lines to her and she said I can't do that. She would refuse the call. After about 5 different calls I used my inside source and completed my business.
Yeah, it isn't. A large company tried that with me. I moved up to the supervisor and said "Well, you record all calls so play it back to me and we'll find out what you think I said and what I actually said." After some clicks and bongo bongo he came back and said it was unavailable at this time. I said you really don't have the recording do you? Crickets. I won.
I will take names and times to memorialize things but names don't really mean squat because one call center may have a Latisha and another may have a completely different Latisha.
Only the very well integrated centers will have the notes in a call that gets passed on to the other call takers. Strangely I never seem to have problems with these business'.
--
Tekkie

And that dont include all the time they place you ON HOLD during a phone call. I just contacted a manufacturer for help regarding a piece of machinery. Their website has a link which says "If you need help, click here to ask". I got a long form, requiring all sorts of personal info, before I could even ask the question. I did all of that, waited 3 days for a reply, and got a reply which told me to call my local dealer, with a link to "locate a local dealer". And they also had a link to buy an owners manual.
Needless to say, I was pissed. I had already been to my local dealer who said they could not answer my question. What a waste of time filling out all that crap on that form, and I suppose I'll get all sorts of spam from them for the rest of my life now. (Of course I have a special email address just for contacting businesses).