OT break in oil for a new car

There's also rec.autos.makers.yugo.

It must suck not to know how to use a newsreader to search for groups.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

It really sucks when a free server drops Yugo groups.

-- "Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."

Reply to
Oren

Sorry. Read too fast. What make, model and year?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Is there really a single yugo still running?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Since you are fimiliar with rec.autos.tech, you already know they get

4 posts a day max.

You do the math.

You know how kill filters work? I will do you if you do me.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Fortunately, the presence of OT messages has absolutely no effect on you that you can discern.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe in Cuba?

Reply to
Oren

No wonder Yugo went under, the darn steering wheel's on the wrong side!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Back in the late 40's and early 50's, some new cars came with break in oil, but not many. Break in oil was mostly used by shops after rebuilding an engine. On a rebuilt engine, things were mighty tight as a rule, what with new inserts and rings. Break in oil was usually drained and replace with regular oil at 250 miles. The theory was that the lighter oil helped parts seat in. Any metal shavings, burrs, etc would be drained at 250 miles along with the oil. Seemed to work then, but now days, I don't think it is used at all.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

rec.autos.tech has not such limitations. How did you arrive at that fantasy.

There is no math involved with such bullshit.

Get over yourself.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

:-) Now who was it who offered a car in both LHD and RHD - the 'conversion' for RHD being a sprocket and chain system from the right side of the car to a chopped steering mechanism on the left, so that all the existing linkages could be retained?

My brain wants to say AMC, but it must have been 20 years ago now that I saw the setup.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

How about two steering wheels? :-)

JoeSpareBedroom

car and driver once had a comic of a car with four steering wheels for all wheel steering.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Class! I like this one:

Jules

No. Yes. It's up to you.

Last new vehicle I bought (still have it) is a 2000 Chevy 3500 Express Van. No early oil change was specified but it did say to go easy on it until so many miles. I'm one who sometimes can't leave good enough alone, so I changed the oil at close to 1000 miles. Two surprises at once. First was a magnetic drain plug like they used to sell only at places like "JC Witney". Second surprise was all the metal filings stuck to the magnet! There was a lot, well in my eyes it was a lot. It was enough that I changed the oil again after 2000 miles (and that put me back on the 3K mile intervals). The second oil change had much less metal stuck to the magnet. After that there has always been much much less on the magnet, just a little "fuzz".

My biggest surprise was the good old magnetic drain plug. I had never seen one in actual use before and this one came from the factory. JC whitney was 20 years ahead of their time.

I also go with the 3K mile oil change. Many say it's a waste, but what the hell, in the 70,000 miles I have on that van, oil changes have only cost me about $500. An estimated $700 every 100,000 miles? That I can afford for peace of mind. If I can afford about $14,000. in gasoline/100000 miles, the oil changes are a drop in the bucket.

Reply to
Tony

Those metal shavings are the reason why alert, experienced drivers behind you have to push the recirculate button. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, there were those drivers ed cars. The one at my high school had an extra brake peddle on the passenger side for the football coach who doubled as the drivers ed teacher.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

LMAO!!!!!

Reply to
Tony

That's profound advice. I've heard that transmission flush are typically not useful, and may be harmful.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, my brain woke up and it *was* AMC - on the Pacer. But only on UK import cars, and googling suggests that it was handled by the company doing the import and not by AMC themselves. How the hell that ever passed any kind of safety inspection, I don't know. Apparently the car didn't sell well over there in a market dominated by cars of half the size with half the engine capacity. Having chain-driven steering and a driver's door that was too long to open in the typical parking lot couldn't have helped.

Drivers Ed ones are interesting - over in England we always had ones with "dual controls", with the pedals* linked - but not a passenger-side steering wheel.

  • I really don't recall if it was just the brake, of gas and clutch (very few slushboxes over there) too.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules