OT bottled water for children?

As more and more people, it seems, drink bottled water instead of tap water, are they aslo giving it to their children? And others have mineral filters on their household water.

Does that mean that a lot of children are growing up without fluoridated water and will have the level of tooth decay that Americans had before the 1950's?

Reply to
micky

If a kid is fed purified water during most of it's youth, what is the effect of not being exposed to common bacteria, minerals and other things that do occur in regular drinking water? Some day they might have to drink the real stuff. It would be bad to get a case of Montezuma's Revenge from perfectly good tap water. ;o)

Reply to
RonB

Some bottled water is less pure than the tap water. It may taste better but is not necessarily of higher quality.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

We use osmosis water (pure H2O). because the tap water here is water from hell. Not good to drink. So I guess we get our Flouride just from toothpaste. WW

Reply to
WW

You mean "designer water?"

I suppose the notion of adding floride to bottled water will occur to some entrepreneur.

Reply to
HeyBub

Some is just bottled NYC tap water. ...the better stuff.

Reply to
krw

\ Ach! Poison!

Reply to
krw

Me? No, I don't live anywhere near that hole (used to live 75mi. North).

NYC has great water. Of course they pipe it in from the Catskills.

Reply to
krw

Is all toothpaste fluoridaed?

(I use Crest, which is, mostly because my brother was in one of the tests they used to push in their ocmmercials. He was at Indiana University from 1958 to 60. He told them when the test started that he planned to go to med school after his junior year (which was possible then, but there is no med schooll where IU is) and they said, Okay. But whenhe showed up for his last appt, and told them he was leaving, they were mad at him1

He/we were left with lots of big unmarked tubes of Crest, with or without fluuroide, he never found out. So I'm ;used to it and I use that.

Reply to
micky

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

New Jersey is actually a beautiful state. The refinery area is a teeny tiny part of it, but it's near part of the Turnpike, so a lot of people see it. .

Reply to
micky

Culligan for example has 6 different kinds of wate. Who knew?

Culligan Water Culligan Demineralized Water Culligan Distilled Water Culligan (with Fluoride added) ** Culligan Purified Water Culligan Spring Water

Reply to
micky

Now all your posts make perfect sense!

Reply to
krw

Yeah, Camden is such a garden spot!

Reply to
krw

I sure didn't know how many other brands offered fluoridated bottled water. Clearly HeyBub didn't, either!

In other news, I was about to correct Bob R about getting DNA from urine, but it seems that they've developed techniques for doing that, too, since I learned about DNA evidence. Fortunately AHR has been quite instrumental in getting me to remember to Google first, THEN post. (-"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

You're not getting bacteria from tap water if you live in the USA, as all municipal water sources are required to be chlorinated/ozonated to kill microorganisms.

As to tap water, my local water comes from snowmelt, is chlorinated, and has some minerals in it at a high pH so that it doesn't rot out pipes. It's delicious.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Well, nothing is supposed to be breeding in the water.

What causes a head shake is the FDA-mandated nutrition information blurb on designer water:

Calories 0 Calories from fat 0 Sodium 0 etc.

Reply to
HeyBub

This just in: Water is not healthy and should not be used to treat dehydration

"THE EU was ridiculed last night after it took three years to issue a new rule that water cannot be sold as healthy. In a scarcely believable ­ruling, a panel of experts threw out a claim that regular water consumption is the best way to rehydrate the body. The bizarre diktat from Brussels has far-reaching implications for member states, including Britain, as no water sold in the EU can now claim to protect against dehydration."

HeyBub

And that's probably true.

I use old apple juice bottles that I fill from the tap and sometimes let them sit around for weeks before I drink it, and it's always fine. ' When my car was overheating in Asheville, NC, and I'd used the 3 gallons of water I had with me, I asked a guy who stopped to help if he had any water. He drove off saying he'd get some, and he went to a store and bought me two gallons of "drinking water", which he woudln't take money for. It cost about 2 dollars. By this time, the car was started and I could make it to a gas station and refill my 3 gallon containers, so even though it was basically tap water, I used tap water of my own and not his water, until 2 months later, when I started to drink it. It was fine, of course.

I'm glad you told me abou tthis. Those Europeans are pretty smart, and I'll stop drinking water now.

Maybe I'll just buy those aerosol cans of whipped cream, and spray some in my mouth when I'm thirsty.

Insane. 10 or 20 yesrs ago, I predeicted problems for the EU.

Reply to
micky

My kids grew up on untreated, unadulterated well water. Now in their forties they have all their teeth and thanks to orthodontists are all perfect.

City water around here can be a mixed bag because every now and then something smelly sneaks into the source and sometimes the chlorine added is overwhelming.

Reply to
Frank