OT: "Borrowing" someone elses floorplans

You folks are all still missing the point that the local building department will be the "cop" on this. They simply will not accept McMansion's plan if McMansion's name is not on the permit. You could probably FORGE someone else's engineering stamps on the plan but that IS a crime. There is nothing to keep you from redrawing the plan by hand and submitting it. You will probably pay more for plan review and they might just reject it without an engineering stamp. YMMV with that. If you are in a place with special concerns like wind codes (east coast) or earthquake (west coast) codes you can count on them wanting engineering but in much of flyover country, writing "standard practice" on the details may work for you.

If you don't need to submit a plan for a permit and you are only giving them to your sub-contractor, nobody will ever catch you. Just cut off the McMansion logo and engineering stamps.

Reply to
gfretwell

Care to parse this argument? Clearly copyright infringement *is* a crime (if not always prosecuted):

Keith Williams

Breaking a CIVIL law is not a crime.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You're citing the CRIMINAL statute for CRIMINAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

Most cases fall under the CIVIL statutes for CIVIL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.

Learn the difference.

Richard J Kinch

Here's something interesting I ran accross today. This is from the website of a house designer:

Word About Copyright

Occassionally I receive a request to copy ideas from a plan that someone else designed. This would be very dangerous for you and me. Recent laws allow a designer to win lawsuits for theft of intellectual property. They may sue for all of the profit on the project(s) and damages.

Changing a certain percentage of the plan is no longer a protection. They can sue for copying one single idea from their plan. This also includes unauthorized use of plans. The law states that the purchase of a set of plans is for a one time use. Both the right to use them again and the design ideas in the plans remain the intellectual property of the designer. This would also apply to someone trying to build using preliminary plans, without paying for the complete plans, and without having the permission of the designer.

On very rare occasions a dishonest client has attempted to avoid final payment and use the preliminary plans for construction. This is a very dangerous idea, as a law suit would cost far more than the plans. I encourage good, honest design practices. By far the majority of my clients want this. To get the best home for the least cost, I design for your unique needs, your property, and your budget. A good designer does not need to copy others' ideas to achieve this. A wise client would not want to cut the cost of plans by copying ideas from a plan that would risk a law suit, cost far more to build, and be less satisfactory.

Richard C. MacCrea Home Planner

Blairsville, Georgia

Reply to
Underway

So you admit that copyright infringement can be a criminal offense. That's all I wanted to hear.

Most all. I just wanted a clarification from your fingers. (BTW, you have a problem with your shift key).

I know the difference. You seemed to think that copyright infringement wasn't a criminal offense.

You can go back to bed now.

Reply to
Keith Williams

No, you equated the two, and I corrected you.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Equated the two? Did I say that copyright infringement is a crime and murder is a crime, thus copyright infringement is murder (equality would make this true)? Some here were stating that copyright infringement was not a crime, when it certainly can be.

You didn't correct squat. You were trying to be as coy as possible with your wording. I asked for clarification and you decided to pounce. You really need to grow up a bit.

Reply to
Keith Williams

Yes. Go away, troll.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Troll? Time to hang up mommy's phone and do your homework, kid.

Reply to
Keith Williams

I'm not hiding my true identity.

Let's see your resume.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Did I say you were, kid?

Why? Are you hiring microprocessor developers? You don't have enough money, child.

Reply to
Keith Williams

I regret my youth is long past. At least I gained some wisdom in the transit. Given your vacant perspicacity and courtesy, I marvel that you can find work.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Oh my, such big words... You can put mommy's thesaurus back in her underware drawer now.

Reply to
Keith