OT: "Borrowing" someone elses floorplans

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

So you admit that copyright infringement can be a criminal offense. That's all I wanted to hear.

Most <> all. I just wanted a clarification from your fingers. (BTW, you have a problem with your shift key).

I know the difference. You seemed to think that copyright infringement wasn't a criminal offense.

You can go back to bed now.
--
Keith

Keith Williams writes:

No, you equated the two, and I corrected you.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

Equated the two? Did I say that copyright infringement is a crime and murder is a crime, thus copyright infringement is murder (equality would make this true)? Some here were stating that copyright infringement was not a crime, when it certainly can be.
You didn't correct squat. You were trying to be as coy as possible with your wording. I asked for clarification and you decided to pounce. You really need to grow up a bit.
--
Keith

Keith Williams writes:

Yes. Go away, troll.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

Troll? Time to hang up mommy's phone and do your homework, kid.
--
Keith

Keith Williams writes:

I'm not hiding my true identity.
Let's see your resume.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

Did I say you were, kid?

enough money, child.
--
Keith

Keith Williams writes:

I regret my youth is long past. At least I gained some wisdom in the transit. Given your vacant perspicacity and courtesy, I marvel that you can find work.
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:48:40 -0600, Richard J Kinch wrote:

Oh my, such big words... You can put mommy's thesaurus back in her underware drawer now.
--
Keith

Sounds like something a lawyer would say.
How would YOU feel if someone stole YOUR work?
Stretch
Stretch writes:

Infringment is not theft, it is infringment.
If infringment is theft, then so is the normal expiration.
Art writes:

Nonsense. You can't copyright architectural designs. The plans themselves, in some respects can be copyrighted, but anyone can draw up new plans for the exact same structure.
If defy you to show me a house with a copyright symbol on it.
This doctrine is as old as copyright itself.
He is "photocopying" the floorplan. I don't know of a copy machine that will fit a house in it so obviously he is talking about photocopying the plans which can indeed be copyrighted. If he has someone work from that photocopied plan it is a copyright infringement.

That's the key point. What is copyrighted is the artwork of the blueprint not the layout of the house its arrangement of rooms or construction practices. As long as he uses those plans as a guide for drawing his own detailed build plans, he will be fine legally. An exact photocopy would be a copyright infringement if it were used to build a house, he is usually allowed one for "fair use" practices (i.e. an example while drawing his own).
Art writes:

Baloney.
Reading an infringing copy is not another infringement. Making copies on your retinas doesn't count.
It is impossible to build something structural that is a copyright infringement.
Again, I defy you to show me a house with a circle-C on it.
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

Granted, retinal copies don't count.

It's also pretty hard to build a house without several copies of the blueprints for subcontractors and various regulatory agencies.

Floor plans may be patented though. Such things are usually pretty weak patents, but it is possible.
OTOH, the Mona Lisa doesn't have a circle-C on it either. ;-)
--
Keith

Copying the plans is a black and white violation. Taking the plans to an architect and saying "I like this, make me something that I'd like using this layout" will put you into some gray to light gray areas. Take a good look at the plans. There is probably something you'd do different that will move you to a very white area now.
If the plans were copied in detail there is a violation, but to make a set of plans that has the living room on the left, the kitchen in the corner and a bathroom above it can have thousands of variations in construction detail, materials, plumbing and electrical that there would be clearly no violation.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Underway wrote:

Would I be in violation of copyright? Yes. But hmm, there is probably a million of those houses built, sooo who is going to notice?
And even if your builder does, how he can prove that this is they design.
For most builders floorplans you can find very very similar. I have not seen unique track home design.
If your architect any good, he can make very similar plan in no time.
Most people don't come to architects saying i want you to draw house with 4 bedrooms, etc. They go and ask for a house similiar to some floor plan, and ask to address they concerns, make some changes.
I recall seeing a television segment about a year ago, possibly on CNBC, about copyright owners filing suit against a builder. It seems an architect's staff member was simply driving around somewhere and saw "their" house being built somewhere else. The piece also mentioned other similar instances.

otherwise copyrighted, will NOT take the work as a straight copy job. The downside if anyone notices is simply too high. He loses his AIA stamp, it costs him bigtime. In many (most?) areas, residential construction does not require an expen$ive architect- a freelance designer can do the work as well, at a much lower price point. (How do I know?- my father has been in that field for close to 50 years, and always has more work than he can handle.) But while you can copyright the working blueprints and spec sheets, there is no way to copyright a basic room layout, and many houses end up being very similar, simply because that is the best and cheapest way to lay a house out.
I agree with the other poster- hire a designer or architect, show him that plan, and say you like it. He'll still spend a couple hours with you anyway, over several sessions, defining and fine-tuning your requirements. He will also want to see the lot, since a lot of design, especially the engineering parts, is site-dependent. An experienced designer can do a cookie-cutter house in their sleep. The most expensive part will be the material take-offs and any variations needed to meet local conditions and codes. If you want him to stay involved during construction, to handle QC and any needed changes (there are always some), that will, of course, cost more.
aem sends...