OT Blue vehicle headlights

Page 3 of 3

If the blue lights are illegal, there sure a lot of people who are NOT being pulled over for having them.
I mentioned in another reply, about someone having green headlights. He was driving around town last summer with them. They looked like the headlighs on that old "Green Hornet" tv series. That same night, the cops did pull him over. I'm not sure if it was because of the lights, but I bet it was. That was the last time I saw those green lights too. So either he was made to change them, or else he was not from town.
Another oddball thing are these kids who have lights under their cars that make the road glow. (Usually purple). I never understood why anyone would spend money on something like that. They are not annoying though, but they sure make no sense. I doubt any of them survive winter, or maybe they remove them before the snow comes??? I always wondered if those were legal?
On 2/5/2016 5:06 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

To be more specific----- Some of the aftermarket headlights are a bluish cast. You can still tell they are headlights though, just with a tint from the color spectrum of the bulb.
True blue lights are for emergency vehicles such as firemen. Green lights are for medical personnel. That may vary in other states. Cops are quick to pull you over for things like that.

They make the same sense as the goofy hats, T-shirts hair styles kids wear. In our day we used to "nose and deck" a car by removing the chrome and filling the holes, put Buick taillight lenses on a Chevy and have baby moon hubcaps.

I never did any of that stuff.... About all I did was install a high end radio/tape player and a power amp with big speakers. And in the 70's I had to have a CB radio with an amplifier...
I did get my hands on a rotating red light and I put a magnet on the bottom, so I could stick it on my roof, plug it in the cig lighter and get cars to pull over, because they thought I was a cop. Back then it seemed pretty funny !!! :)
One time I pulled a car over at bar closing time, in the park. I parked behind them. Then I walked up to their car, and they were hiding their beer. I did not look like a cop, but I told them I was under cover, and they better give me the beer, or they are going to jail. They gave me the beer! That was damn funny. But I didn't want to be an asshole, so I told them this was just a joke and I gave them their beer back. They laughed and we all walked into the park and shared the beer. I ended up becoming friends with them.... Crazy shit we do when young!
I'm surprised I never got in trouble for doing that.... But things were a lot different back then.
The kids today dress like retards!!! :) What drives me crazy are those tongue piercings. I could not even fanthom doing that! OUCH!!!
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo posted for all of us...

You are what you called yourself... ASSHOLE
--
Tekkie

On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 04:06:28 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Lots not pulled over for driving withou their lights on too. Or driving with one headlight missing, or one tail light, or one signal light -- Or not using their signals, or not stopping at stop signs, or driving over the limit.
Just because they are not stopped doesn't mean all that is legal, does it??

Not legal for sure. And the box says in fairly bold print "for exibition use only"

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: "Lots not pulled over for driving withou their lights on too."
That has got to be one of my biggest driving pet peeves! That and lack of turn blinker usage. Lately I'd guess that 1 out of 10 drivers, going my way or opposite, is literally invisible after dark, completely oblivious to the fact that their headlights/tail lights are off!
If one does not know how to turn one's vehicle's light on, then as far as I'm concerned they should not even be driving. Lights on at night or during inclement weather is one of the utmost basics of driving.
On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 14:27:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

When you live in or near a small rural town (like I do), the cops pull people over for every damn thing, because they have nothing better to do. I got pulled over for not using my signal lights when pulling out of a gas station. I said to the cop "are you serious, I never heard of that being required." He just said it's a good idea to do.... I agreed, even though I was thinking "what an asshole". Then I got pulled over for having my brights on in town. Yea, I normally turn them off, but no one is perfect and I come into town from the country so they are usually on when I get there. I thought that was another stupid reason to be pulled over.
I also got pulled over for a GOOD reason. My brake lights stopped working. (Blown fuse). That I appreciated knowing, and I thanked the cop. He didn't ticket me, he just told me to fix it, which I did the next day.
On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 16:38:20 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I grew up in a small town in the sixties/early seventies and I worked at a service station in town. On Good Friday I was trhere working on my '35 Chevy when one of the town cops dropped by with his OHC Firebird and wanted to buy gas. I told him the pumps were closed and locked and I didn't have the key. He got "pissy" about it and left in a huff. (squealing the tires and spitting gravel stones everywhere) From that day on I had nothing but trouble from the prick. My little Valiant had a healthy note to the exhaust - even through the 100% stock brand new exhaust I had installed, and he took exception to it. He pulled me over and said I better get a new muffler. I told him it was a brand new system from front to back, and offered to take it to the shop and put it up in the air so he could see - and if he found anything that was not right he could charge me - otherwise he could forget it.
This was after he pulled me over and told me to get my license light replaced before he saw me again. I went straight to the shop and without even checking the bulb put on a complete brand new license light assembly and checked to make sure IT was working. On my way home from work that night he pulled me over and said "I thought I told you to get your licence plate light fixed." I told him "I just replaced it - isn't it working?" and pushed the door open to get out and checking. He rubbed his shin and jumped in the cruiser and took off - it was working. Just before that I was dropping a friend off in front of his house which was just past an intersection on the main street. When I was about 10 feet from the intersection I put on my right signat to pull over, and this big green Pontiac pulled right out in front of me. I locked up the brakes ans stopped inches from the cruiser door. He hollered "arren't you going to turn?" and I told him I'd turn when he got the cruiser out of my way.
A few of the other cops were "friends" who I could talk with - one in particular - and as I was getting ready to leave town with my friend ( the one I was dropping off in the previous case) one night I saw the cruiser and figured I'd see if he was on duty, so I followed the cruiser for about 3 blocks until I saw it was the "prick" on duty. He hadn't stopped for 2 stop signs and had not used his signal to turn - but when I saw who it was I just turned at the light and left town as I had planned. When I came back into town about 2 1/2 hours later, the cruiser was parked at the side of the road at the entrance to town, and when I passed he pulled right out behind me and followed me with his brights on for a few blocks, then put on the "cherries" and pulled me over. I rolled the window down about 1/4 way and he yelled at me something about "why was I following him?" and a bunch of other crap - He was like a mad dog ready to crawl through the window. I told him I thought Gordie was on duty and wanted to talk to him. He stalked back to the cruiser and let me go.
I had had enough so at noon the next day I went into the police station and said I wanted to lodge a complaint against the officer who was on duty last night for harrassment - and said even IF I was speeding or broke the law in any way, if it was HIM who charged me I'd fight it and beat him if it broke me paying for the best lawyer I could get. I also said I preferred if the report on the blotter did not say who lodged the complaint - he'd know who it was anyway.
From that day on if he was walking the beat and we met - even on the other side of the street he'd wave - and I NEVER had a problem with him again.. If he was in the cruiser he'd tip his hat if he saw me.
I guess he never knew EXACTLY what I had told the sargeant, and wasn't taking any chances finding out.
On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 20:41:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We have a cop like that here, and that asshole is the one that pulled me over for the stupid reasons. Everyone complains about him. I'm surprised he has not yet lost his job. Another cop who eveyone likes, is the one who pulled me over about my non-working brake lights, and he was decent about it, just told me to fix it. I like that guy!
On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 16:16:59 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

We had another one ninknamed "supercop" on the Regional force a few years back who held the record for the number of citations in a month - and surprizingly EVERY one of them was "clean". He just had the eyes of an eagle and the memory of an elephant. He would catch more "driving under suspension" offenders, and "DUI"s than any 3 other cops, and very seldom pulled someone over on suspicion without being able to lay a solid choice.
He'd remember every DUI he had layed in the last year, and exactly what the guy looked like, what he drove, where he lived, and where he liked to drink, so if he saw a slightly balding guy with black glasses driving a beige Citation with a blue sticker on the corner of the windsheild between the Lancaster Hotel and the east end of Kitchener he knew it was "steady eddie" who had pulled over and charged 11 months ago for DUI and he was driving again a month early. On come the lights, over he goes, and back to court. Another DWD, anothe DUI, and an uninsured motorist at the same time - and possibly another open bottle, or posession of weed, or whatever on top of it.

That was a good dept. Not that they had this guy but they corrected the problem. He probably had a history of this crap. Now the cams would show it all.
--
Tekkie

More because traffic fines make up a significant portion of the revenues of many local governments. Even in large cities, much of traffic enforcement is now more about money than safety.
Neill Massello posted for all of us...

One would think so, but when I asked the chief he had no idea and we went to see the township manager who gave us the figure. It was surprising small as the fines are shared among several entities.
--
Tekkie

Aroung here all the "small towns" are policed either by the "regional" or "provincial" police departments Not many small town departments any more.
Region of Waterloo police covers the entire region - Kitchener, Waterloo, Elmira, New Hamburg, St Jacobs, Conestogo, Baden and all the little burgs in between. In other counties or regions the Ontario Provincial Police cover the smaller towns
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo posted for all of us...

Good reasons for stops. Things that drunks do. You should be glad they are on the job. Maybe later on they'll be pulling a dead body out of car as a result of a DUI. They are not assholes, they are good people doing the job the best they can for little money and especially no respect from you.
--
Tekkie

On 2/8/2016 2:55 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I once got pulled over for having by brights on. The cop told me that drunks often don't lower them. I was on my way in 30 seconds. He was just keeping the road safe. I try to avoid driving the hour after the bars close too.
On 2/8/2016 4:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I got pulled over a couple nights ago. I practiced Chris Rock's "how not to get you ahh kicked by the PO leeze." And was on my way about a minute later.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

It just gives LEO's probable cause to stop them. Then they complain the PD is picking on them. In PA they issue a FEC (Faulty Equipment Card) and 10 days or so to get it fixed and signed off by an inspection mechanic or if they repair it themselves they can have an LEO sign off but it does get sent in to PennDot.
--
Tekkie

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo posted for all of us...

No in PA
--
Tekkie

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 11:44:21 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

I had same problem.
I got some yellow tinted night time glasses that reduce the glare.
Auto makers have no business putting aircraft lights on vehicles.
:-)
Andy