OT Blue vehicle headlights

Lots of Astronomy, here. So, city discourages "light polution". Most neighborhoods have no "street lights". During a New Moon (or before moonrise/after moonset) most neighborhoods are *black*.

I don't know what cyclists are required to have by way of safety equipment, here. We have a large, internationally recognized bike race here each year so you frequently encounter large groups of cyclists "training" together (and is spandex a PREREQUISITE for riding a bicycle??).

Being "bike friendly", lots of cyclists on the roads -- along with lots of unusual bike configurations. The smart ones put a flag or some other attention getter on them so you can see them hiding behind an adjacent vehicle, etc.

Reply to
Don Y

If the blue lights are illegal, there sure a lot of people who are NOT being pulled over for having them.

I mentioned in another reply, about someone having green headlights. He was driving around town last summer with them. They looked like the headlighs on that old "Green Hornet" tv series. That same night, the cops did pull him over. I'm not sure if it was because of the lights, but I bet it was. That was the last time I saw those green lights too. So either he was made to change them, or else he was not from town.

Another oddball thing are these kids who have lights under their cars that make the road glow. (Usually purple). I never understood why anyone would spend money on something like that. They are not annoying though, but they sure make no sense. I doubt any of them survive winter, or maybe they remove them before the snow comes??? I always wondered if those were legal?

Reply to
Paintedcow

Don Y wrote: "There also seems to be some tie-in to the height of the lamps above the pavement -- and proximity to oncoming cars. Headlights target a fixed point some 100 feet from the vehicle. So, headlights on a "tall", oncoming vehicle closer than that have more spillage into the oncoming "

I'm sure tire pressures - especially front/rear difference - can have an impact a quarter mile out and closing. If the front tires are even a couple psi higher relative to the rears, the front of the vehicle might be 1/8" to 1/4" higher, corresponding to the regular beams being a foot or more higher several hundred feet out.

IE, if a vehicle specifies PSI 34f 32r, and they measure 36F 32r, or, 34f 30r, that front will be angled up slightly, giving oncoming drivers the impression your high beams are on.

-(K-ManDucks to evade all the Archie deBunkers!)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

You're just desperate to have somebody take the bait, so you can wax moronic about how you supposedly know all there is to know about tire pressure, and that makes you smarter than everyone else. But, in fact, you're just a dumb f*ck with an obsession with tire pressure, and you'll take any opportunity to change the subject to any of your idiotic hobbyhorses. FCKWAFA. AADFTOC.

Reply to
None

To be more specific----- Some of the aftermarket headlights are a bluish cast. You can still tell they are headlights though, just with a tint from the color spectrum of the bulb.

True blue lights are for emergency vehicles such as firemen. Green lights are for medical personnel. That may vary in other states. Cops are quick to pull you over for things like that.

They make the same sense as the goofy hats, T-shirts hair styles kids wear. In our day we used to "nose and deck" a car by removing the chrome and filling the holes, put Buick taillight lenses on a Chevy and have baby moon hubcaps.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Quite possible. I have laser operations in both eyes scheduled for the next few weeks for the common post-cataract-operation-result of a clouded lens capsule, to cut a hole in it with the laser so light can reach the retina. This is said to cause glare problems along with many others.

Reply to
KenK

Don Y wrote in news:n90fkn$ppn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And all the idiots driving with no lights on!

Reply to
KenK

Tekkie? wrote in news:4HPsy.222989$ snipped-for-privacy@fx33.iad:

Mentioned in my response to another message,

Reply to
KenK

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Glanced at it. Looks interesting. Printed it out, as I usually do, to read carefully later. Thank you.

Reply to
KenK

I had same problem.

I got some yellow tinted night time glasses that reduce the glare.

Auto makers have no business putting aircraft lights on vehicles.

:-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Per notbob:

With my situation, it's way beyond anything I can consciously compensate for. You just would not want to be anywhere nearby when/if I were foolish enough to try driving at night.

Cannot cite, but somewhere I read that commercial airplane accidents when landing were 10x more frequent after dark.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per rbowman:

I saw a NJ State cop quoted about conditions on the Atlantic City Expressway as saying "Tail lights are drunk magnets".... His point being that somebody who pulls over on the shoulder should extinguish all their lights.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tekkie®:

I have something called "Druzen"... some sort of lesions on the retina, but my eye guy says it's not critical.... although I would not rule that condition out as a cause of my experience...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Makes sense. You often hear of stopped cars getting hit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Lots not pulled over for driving withou their lights on too. Or driving with one headlight missing, or one tail light, or one signal light -- Or not using their signals, or not stopping at stop signs, or driving over the limit.

Just because they are not stopped doesn't mean all that is legal, does it??

Not legal for sure. And the box says in fairly bold print "for exibition use only"

Reply to
clare

It is the *first* thing you do, here, when pulling over during a haboob. Same sort of reasoning applies to snow/rain storms, fog, etc.

Reply to
Don Y

I never did any of that stuff.... About all I did was install a high end radio/tape player and a power amp with big speakers. And in the 70's I had to have a CB radio with an amplifier...

I did get my hands on a rotating red light and I put a magnet on the bottom, so I could stick it on my roof, plug it in the cig lighter and get cars to pull over, because they thought I was a cop. Back then it seemed pretty funny !!! :)

One time I pulled a car over at bar closing time, in the park. I parked behind them. Then I walked up to their car, and they were hiding their beer. I did not look like a cop, but I told them I was under cover, and they better give me the beer, or they are going to jail. They gave me the beer! That was damn funny. But I didn't want to be an asshole, so I told them this was just a joke and I gave them their beer back. They laughed and we all walked into the park and shared the beer. I ended up becoming friends with them.... Crazy shit we do when young!

I'm surprised I never got in trouble for doing that.... But things were a lot different back then.

The kids today dress like retards!!! :) What drives me crazy are those tongue piercings. I could not even fanthom doing that! OUCH!!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

wrote: "You're just desperate to have somebody take the bait, so you can wax moronic about how you supposedly know all there is to know about tire pressure, and that makes you smarter than everyone else. But, in fact, you're just a dumb f*ck with an obsession with tire pressure, and you'll take any opportunity to change the subject to any of your idiotic hobbyhorses. FCKWAFA. AADFTOC. "

STOP

MONITORING

MY

USENET

ACTIVITY!!

WHAT is your interest in me? I am not Josef Mengele or some fugitive from ISIS!! All you are doing is getting me on other posters killfile lists. Stop wasting your time stalking me around Usenet and GET A DAMN LIFE!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I recall a case study when I was in school in which certain flights were experiencing a high rate of accidents -- but, always in a certain direction (e-w vs w-e). It was eventually determined to be caused by the aircraft descending *into* twilight (near sunset) and the pilots' eyes not being to adapt fast enough to the changes in available light. The "technology" (air travel) was too fast for the human operator!

Reply to
Don Y

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: "Lots not pulled over for driving withou their lights on too."

That has got to be one of my biggest driving pet peeves! That and lack of turn blinker usage. Lately I'd guess that 1 out of 10 drivers, going my way or opposite, is literally invisible after dark, completely oblivious to the fact that their headlights/tail lights are off!

If one does not know how to turn one's vehicle's light on, then as far as I'm concerned they should not even be driving. Lights on at night or during inclement weather is one of the utmost basics of driving.

Reply to
thekmanrocks