OT Blue vehicle headlights

Page 2 of 3
Per notbob:

With my situation, it's way beyond anything I can consciously compensate for. You just would not want to be anywhere nearby when/if I were foolish enough to try driving at night.
Cannot cite, but somewhere I read that commercial airplane accidents when landing were 10x more frequent after dark.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/5/2016 11:29 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I recall a case study when I was in school in which certain flights were experiencing a high rate of accidents -- but, always in a certain direction (e-w vs w-e). It was eventually determined to be caused by the aircraft descending *into* twilight (near sunset) and the pilots' eyes not being to adapt fast enough to the changes in available light. The "technology" (air travel) was too fast for the human operator!
On 2/4/2016 12:12 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Changes in the eye are more pronounced as we age. The lens gets cloudy (eventually, cataracts). The iris can't respond as quickly. Other pathologies (e.g., macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy) are more prevalent (than in youth). There is less *available* light in the scene (d'uh... it's DARK!) There is less RANGE of light intensity in the scene (think: contrast) "Vision Anomalies" are also more commonplace and pronounced (things like astigmatism).
My vision (as measured by my "refractive correction"/Rx) hasn't changed in ~40 years (I've kept records of all my "prescriptions" over the years -- from more than a dozen opthamologists and optometrists). But, I see "less well" than I did 40 years ago.
I've always relied on EXCESS light to see well; I can recall tussling with my college roommate over whether or not to leave the overhead light on in the "well lit" room during daylight hours as it made a difference to how well I could perceive fine detail. (and, my bathrooms have always been lit with an overabundance of light -- enough to keep the room uncomfortably warm!)
I've learned to use my *eyes* (and not my brain!) when taking eye exams as I can too often "reason out" what I am seeing even though the visual image is ambiguous. This has led to disappointing Rx's in the past.
[I had one eye doctor (can't recall if opto- or optha-) who used LARGE images (instead of the ever smaller lines of text) at a distance and asked which image was "crisper" -- one being set on a RED background, the other on GREEN. As such, it let me keep my eyes at rest -- not bring focusing power to bear (e.g., squinting) to bias the result. Unfortunately, I've never found another who used the same technique!]
(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

Yes. Do you have cataracts or any other eye problems?
--
Tekkie

Tekkie® wrote:

Macular degeneration?

the

down

Mentioned in my response to another message,
Per Tekkie®:

I have something called "Druzen"... some sort of lesions on the retina, but my eye guy says it's not critical.... although I would not rule that condition out as a cause of my experience...
--
Pete Cresswell

Quite possible. I have laser operations in both eyes scheduled for the next few weeks for the common post-cataract-operation-result of a clouded lens capsule, to cut a hole in it with the laser so light can reach the retina. This is said to cause glare problems along with many others.
On 02/04/2016 12:44 PM, KenK wrote:

NOT all (quartz-)halogen. Halogen bulbs have been around for decades and are not bluish unless... [see later]
HID headlights are more recent and (some, at least) have a *slightly* bluish tint. As a result, some drivers, wishing to give the impression that they have these fancy latest-technology, (originally) high-end-vehicle lights, have adopted blue-tinted halogen bulbs that are in many cases more blue than HID lights.
If headlights blind oncoming drivers, that is far more likely to be because of misalignment than because of the particular light-generating technology that is used.
Some of the most blinding headlights I have encountered recently seem to be extremely white, not blue at all.
(Every advance in headlight technology seems to have resulted in complaints about blinding oncoming drivers. It happened with the transition to HID headlights. Before that it happened with the transition to quartz-halogen headlights. Before that it happened with the transition to sealed-beam headlights. Before that it happened with the transition to systems where the driver's-side headlight remained illuminated in the "dim" mode instead of leaving only the passenger-side headlamp illuminated. I wasn't around at the time, but I suspect that there were similar complaints about the transition from carbide to electric lights, and even before that from oil lamps to carbide.)
Perce

Exactly. We routinely have folks flashing their brights at us AS IF our lights were misaligned on our FACTORY NEW vehicle.
After bringing it in to the dealer to *check* said alignment, we were shown that the lamps are "spot on" -- other drivers just see *three* bright white "dots" on each side of the hood ornament and THINK the brights are on. So, when we flash OUR brights in response (and they see *5* white dots on each side, two of which are aimed higher than the other three) they realize the error is theirs.
There also seems to be some tie-in to the height of the lamps above the pavement -- and proximity to oncoming cars. Headlights target a fixed point some 100 feet from the vehicle. So, headlights on a "tall", oncoming vehicle closer than that have more spillage into the oncoming driver's field of vision.
[The lights on our new vehicle are almost a foot "higher" than on our older vehicle. The lights on my buddy's pickup are higher, still!]
Don Y wrote: "There also seems to be some tie-in to the height of the lamps above the pavement -- and proximity to oncoming cars. Headlights target a fixed point some 100 feet from the vehicle. So, headlights on a "tall", oncoming vehicle closer than that have more spillage into the oncoming "
I'm sure tire pressures - especially front/rear difference - can have an impact a quarter mile out and closing. If the front tires are even a couple psi higher relative to the rears, the front of the vehicle might be 1/8" to 1/4" higher, corresponding to the regular beams being a foot or more higher several hundred feet out.
IE, if a vehicle specifies PSI 34f 32r, and they measure 36F 32r, or, 34f 30r, that front will be angled up slightly, giving oncoming drivers the impression your high beams are on.
-(K-ManDucks to evade all the Archie deBunkers!)

You're just desperate to have somebody take the bait, so you can wax moronic about how you supposedly know all there is to know about tire pressure, and that makes you smarter than everyone else. But, in fact, you're just a dumb fuck with an obsession with tire pressure, and you'll take any opportunity to change the subject to any of your idiotic hobbyhorses. FCKWAFA. AADFTOC.
wrote: "You're just desperate to have somebody take the bait, so you can wax moronic about how you supposedly know all there is to know about tire pressure, and that makes you smarter than everyone else. But, in fact, you're just a dumb fuck with an obsession with tire pressure, and you'll take any opportunity to change the subject to any of your idiotic hobbyhorses. FCKWAFA. AADFTOC. "
STOP
MONITORING
MY
USENET
ACTIVITY!!
WHAT is your interest in me? I am not Josef Mengele or some fugitive from ISIS!! All you are doing is getting me on other posters killfile lists. Stop wasting your time stalking me around Usenet and GET A DAMN LIFE!
On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 12:44:21 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

More than you probably wanted to know...
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

Glanced at it. Looks interesting. Printed it out, as I usually do, to read carefully later. Thank you.

I hate those fu####g blue headlights..... I have gone so far as to complain to the D.O.T. When they were first coming into the market, I had a car behind me with them, and he either had loose bulbs or very bad shocks. That made it look like a police car was pulling me over. I pulled over only to realize it was some asshole with blue headlights....
I have also seen similar bulbs in pink and green tints. (Not much better).
I know my eyes are not what they used to be, but those blue bulbs are terrible. Yet the worst of all, was when I had just reached the top of a hill, and some pickup truck had white headlights AND fog lights at the same time, and apparently had his brights on too. I literally could not see anything, and that part of the road has a sharp curve. If it was not for the fact that I know that road, I may have ended up in the ditch. I still slammed on the brakes, because I could not see anything at all. Since I was nearly stopped at that point, I called 911, and told them the location and what happened. Whether anything happend, I dont know, but they said they check into it.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo posted for all of us...

Fog lights should turn on with low beams only. We used to check this during inspection and some DIY's had them wired incorrectly which meant a phone call as to whom did they want to fix it-us or them. Also had to be mounted a certain height above the road surface.
--
Tekkie

Almost correct. With single headlights it was legal to run fogs or driving lights with high beam, The law limited you to a total of 4 projecting beams facing forward.
With cars with quad headlights, the fogs were only allowed on low beam - and if you wanted to run driving lights you needed to switch off the inner high beam only units to turn on the drivers. Or do like we did on the Rallye Renault R12 and the gold Cricket - one big mother of a driving light, and one high beem sealed beam removed and the hole repurposed as a cold air intake for the carbs. On the cricket it also had a fog light.
Both of them were like turning on the sun when you turned on that big bad Cibie blasting down a back rallye road!!!
On 2/4/2016 12:44 PM, KenK wrote:

Blueish ones are aftermarket stuff. Factory are a white color. Kids seem to like the blue. Personally, I really like the white light as things look brighter. My interior lights are LED, even my new refrigerator is nice bright white when y ou open the door..
KenK wrote:

Strictly speaking those after market lights are mostly illegal. There are other things too like driving without lights after sun down, broken headlight, tail light, loud noisy cars, not flashing when turning, changing lane, etc.