OT Blue vehicle headlights

Page 1 of 3
Do those blue (halogen?) headlights, getting more and more popular, often blind you from an approaching vehicle? I seem to be finding them more and more disturbing. If this is really a problem, why are they legal and how did they get popular? Are they that effective for the driver using them?
Comments?
On 02/04/2016 11:44 AM, KenK wrote:

You never responded to any of the posts for your previous question about printing photos.

The responses told me the photo file I had received lacked the information needed to enlarge it without distortion so I decided not to do so.
On 02/04/2016 12:13 PM, KenK wrote:

OK, as to the blue headlights, I have not seen any but it sounds annoying...I suspect they are not even legal

- although they CAN be irritating. Virtually all "aftermarket conversions" are both illegal and terribly irritating

I've seen a few and I think they would be illegal if the cops ticketed them and the judge had any sense. But it might be a close call. Any normal person perceives them as blue, and in AZ showing blue lights in any direction is illegal. But it's a paler blue then what is usually used on police cars so a judge conceivable could say they "aren't blue enough to count". In my mind they clearly aren't white so they fail the test of "any color between white and amber" which is what's legal in the front as the general rule for lights. Amber might not be allowed for the mandatory headlights though even though it's ok for other lamps.
Per KenK:

Devil's Advocate Question: Could age-related loss of eye function be a player ?
I flat-out do not drive at night - and I even avoid driving late in the afternoon because there's something badly missing in my night vision. Can't put my finger on it.... technically, I think I *see* things, but it's just not the same as in daylight.... part of it is peripheral vision, part of it is speed/distance judgment, but there is lots more and I'll check into a motel rather than drive home if I get caught down the shore when the daylight window for the trip home has closed.
--
Pete Cresswell

Sucks to be you!
But yes, age is a factor. I'm in my late 60s and do not like to drive at night. I can and I will, but I know the chances of being in an accident are greater, so try and make necessary trips in daylight. IOW, know yer limitations. Duh. ;)
nb
On 2/4/2016 2:34 PM, notbob wrote:

I'm 70 and have no problem if I'm the only car on the road. Add a lot of other oncoming cars and it is getting more difficult. Add rain and I'd rather not drive at night. Never bothered me when I was 20.
On 2/4/2016 2:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Night" doesn't bother me as much as "twilight" -- the time between when my "day vision" (color) fades and "night vision" (mono) kicks in. Heaven help a guy on the roadside with a recumbent bicycle!! :-/
On 02/04/2016 02:28 PM, Don Y wrote:

The city uses low pressure sodium on some streets, spaced out pretty far. Add in pedestrians with dark clothing and it gets interesting.
There is a law bicycles have to have lighting. Sometimes I think that's counterproductive. On dark roads with no traffic I find I fix on the blinking LED. Like motorcycles, you go where you're looking.
On 2/4/2016 7:20 PM, rbowman wrote:

Lots of Astronomy, here. So, city discourages "light polution". Most neighborhoods have no "street lights". During a New Moon (or before moonrise/after moonset) most neighborhoods are *black*.

I don't know what cyclists are required to have by way of safety equipment, here. We have a large, internationally recognized bike race here each year so you frequently encounter large groups of cyclists "training" together (and is spandex a PREREQUISITE for riding a bicycle??).
Being "bike friendly", lots of cyclists on the roads -- along with lots of unusual bike configurations. The smart ones put a flag or some other attention getter on them so you can see them hiding behind an adjacent vehicle, etc.
Per rbowman:

I saw a NJ State cop quoted about conditions on the Atlantic City Expressway as saying "Tail lights are drunk magnets".... His point being that somebody who pulls over on the shoulder should extinguish all their lights.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/5/2016 1:31 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Makes sense. You often hear of stopped cars getting hit.
On 02/05/2016 12:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

Especially those with flashing red lights?
--
"...the only "right" a sodomite has in a Christian Theocracy is the
right to die." [Dan Gentry, of Christian Research]
On 2/6/2016 9:28 AM, Sam E wrote:

Because folks put their hazzards on WHILE driving. And, if driving slow, virtually indistinguishable from stopped. So, see flashing (brake) lights and it is just as likely to be someone creeping along IN THE LANE as it is someone stopped roadside. I.e., no way to know if you want to be "behind them" or not.
On 2/5/2016 11:31 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

It is the *first* thing you do, here, when pulling over during a haboob. Same sort of reasoning applies to snow/rain storms, fog, etc.

And all the idiots driving with no lights on!

What a 66 year old can see at night is roughly half of what they could see when they were 20.