OT - Blue Rhino proprietary valve

the new Blue Rhino valves are designed so other suppliers can't fill the tanks.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Blu Rhino is the top-poster of the propane business.

.

Learn more about Jesus Christopher A. Young

Reply to
Con La Lengua

Seems, the new Blue Rhino valves are designed so other suppliers can't fill

Does not affect me. I'd never buy one of their tanks. Propane is much cheaper other places.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Agreed - They are for folks who are too lazy to drive to the local propane dealer.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

High price, proprietary valve. Must appeal to whom? Not me!

.

Does not affect me. I'd never buy one of their tanks. Propane is much cheaper other places.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I've been looking for my fool, lovey...... (Thurston Howe, III)

.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Jon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

how long has blue rhino had a propiety valve?? i have never had a problem getting a tank filled, at the local exxon and have some rhino tanks

Reply to
bob haller

Why are you reposting 11 year old stories that were proven to be false?

Reply to
Robert Neville

I hadn't heard that. Got a URL? If it's mistaken, I'd sure want to know.

.

Why are you reposting 11 year old stories that were proven to be false?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They do short fill. Rather than raise prices, they decided to post a small sign that the cylinders have less in them. Perfectly legal, but after so many years of filling a tank, it is sort of a scam to fool the customer. Popular trend these day from ice cream, OJ, to toilet paper that is 1/4" narrower.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The original stories started floating around when OPD valves were introduced. These were just because people didn't understand OPD. As of last year, it does look like BR is adding their own proprietary OPD compliant valve on some tanks in some locations, so your post was correct. My apologies.

Reply to
Robert Neville

If these valves do not comply to being filled, how can they comply to be used with standard LP appliances? The threads must be the same, or the tanks are worthless for standard use. As long as the filler can attach their filling equipment to these threads, why can they not fill the tanks?

Reply to
tangerine3

Seems, the new Blue Rhino valves are designed so other suppliers can't

One article is dated 2001, the other 2004

Can we see actual images of the different valves that Blue Rhine is talking about ?

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

And, the ever popular 13 ounce "pound of spaghetti"?

.

They do short fill. Rather than raise prices, they decided to post a small sign that the cylinders have less in them. Perfectly legal, but after so many years of filling a tank, it is sort of a scam to fool the customer. Popular trend these day from ice cream, OJ, to toilet paper that is 1/4" narrower.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As I read the article, there is a spring loaded steel ball, that acts as a check valve. Propane can come out. But, you need a strong magnet to get propane to go in.

.

If these valves do not comply to being filled, how can they comply to be used with standard LP appliances? The threads must be the same, or the tanks are worthless for standard use. As long as the filler can attach their filling equipment to these threads, why can they not fill the tanks?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I did another web search, and found more recent articles that say the same thing. I guess we both got a chance to learn, here. Once in a while, I get suckered by some internet legend, and I do appreciate when I am given correct information. Please keep looking out for me, if something doesn't sound right.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not so dumb. You got rid of a perfectly good tank and took one of their short fills. Now you have to go back to them for refills. For a few dollars, they sucked you in to become a regular customer.

I was fortunate in that a local dealer would fill my old style tanks for a few years. Very sensible, IMO.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Tanks are marked 15 lb but who knows the specific gravity of propane and would appreciate that the tank is only 3/4 filled?

At least my 11.5 oz can of coffee is completely filled as would be your

13 oz pack of spaghetti.

I'm sure this is unknown by the average purchaser since the product is never visible.

Blue Rhino is setting themselves up for a class action suit. It only takes one disgruntled customer to put this in motion and an astute law firm will pick it up and reap most of the benefit.

Reply to
Frank

It will be interesting to see. Some folks (refrigeration repairmen, who weigh refrigerant bottles) often have scales that can measure the full weight of a propane tank. Someone will eventually notice. And act.

.