OT - Blue Rhino proprietary valve

Page 1 of 3
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bbq/msg031613123088.html http://www.ripoffreport.com/fuel-companies/blue-rhino/blue-rhino-propane-cylinder-ex-c4md8.htm Seems, the new Blue Rhino valves are designed so other suppliers can't fill the tanks.
Blu Rhino is the top-poster of the propane business.
. www.lds.org Learn more about Jesus Christopher A. Young
the tanks. http://www.ripoffreport.com/fuel-companies/blue-rhino/blue-rhino-propane-cylinder-ex-c4md8.htm http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bbq/msg031613123088.html so other suppliers can't fill Seems, the new Blue Rhino valves are designed "Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 May 2012 16:36:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Does not affect me. I'd never buy one of their tanks. Propane is much cheaper other places.

Agreed - They are for folks who are too lazy to drive to the local propane dealer.
RonB
On 05/20/2012 02:46 PM, RonB wrote:

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Jon
I've been looking for my fool, lovey...... (Thurston Howe, III)
.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Jon
how long has blue rhino had a propiety valve?? i have never had a problem getting a tank filled, at the local exxon and have some rhino tanks
High price, proprietary valve. Must appeal to whom? Not me!
Does not affect me. I'd never buy one of their tanks. Propane is much cheaper other places.

Why are you reposting 11 year old stories that were proven to be false?
I hadn't heard that. Got a URL? If it's mistaken, I'd sure want to know.

Why are you reposting 11 year old stories that were proven to be false?

The original stories started floating around when OPD valves were introduced. These were just because people didn't understand OPD. As of last year, it does look like BR is adding their own proprietary OPD compliant valve on some tanks in some locations, so your post was correct. My apologies.

If these valves do not comply to being filled, how can they comply to be used with standard LP appliances? The threads must be the same, or the tanks are worthless for standard use. As long as the filler can attach their filling equipment to these threads, why can they not fill the tanks?
As I read the article, there is a spring loaded steel ball, that acts as a check valve. Propane can come out. But, you need a strong magnet to get propane to go in.
If these valves do not comply to being filled, how can they comply to be used with standard LP appliances? The threads must be the same, or the tanks are worthless for standard use. As long as the filler can attach their filling equipment to these threads, why can they not fill the tanks?
On Wed, 23 May 2012 03:37:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Not so dumb. You got rid of a perfectly good tank and took one of their short fills. Now you have to go back to them for refills. For a few dollars, they sucked you in to become a regular customer.
I was fortunate in that a local dealer would fill my old style tanks for a few years. Very sensible, IMO.
On 5/23/2012 3:37 AM, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

You didn't have to pitch your old tanks. All you had to do was buy the new OPD valves and replace them yourself - or take the tanks to a larger propane dealer and have them do it for you. Or traded them in at the dealer for new tanks.
You little corner gas station/hardware store that also fills tanks isn't going to offer those options, but find a larger propane dealer and they'll do it for you. Same goes for getting your tanks recertified every 10-12 years, depending on what your state requires. Don't pitch them. A larger dealer will check them out and recertify them for you.

just trade them at recertify time or new valve time

In my personal experience BR tanks still come up short on the amount of LPG sold/delivered.
As to no longer using proprietary valves more than a few independent refill stations refuse to deal with BR tanks. In my experience their point is it's not worth the hassle/potential liability problems or the resulting bad feelings with their customers.
Perhaps it's no longer an issue of *can* but an issue of *will*. If you're out in the boonies you still come up empty.
From my view 'screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.' The reality is BR has a major pr problem that will be hard for BR to address. And not there has been no real attempt at that except to cliam BR will sin no more. In my case it matters not as for me and mine we're not taking a chance on another screw job.
Says he who has received short shift from BR on complaints and no reimbursement for gamed tanks of the past.
I did another web search, and found more recent articles that say the same thing. I guess we both got a chance to learn, here. Once in a while, I get suckered by some internet legend, and I do appreciate when I am given correct information. Please keep looking out for me, if something doesn't sound right.
The original stories started floating around when OPD valves were introduced. These were just because people didn't understand OPD. As of last year, it does look like BR is adding their own proprietary OPD compliant valve on some tanks in some locations, so your post was correct. My apologies.
On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:32:51 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

They do short fill. Rather than raise prices, they decided to post a small sign that the cylinders have less in them. Perfectly legal, but after so many years of filling a tank, it is sort of a scam to fool the customer. Popular trend these day from ice cream, OJ, to toilet paper that is 1/4" narrower.
And, the ever popular 13 ounce "pound of spaghetti"?