OT Blood pressure

Page 2 of 4
Per notbob:

+1 on that.
After winding up on the grass from a major episode of atrial fibrillation I went to see the first guy.
Hardly made eye contact - just kept his head down typing away on his laptop. 3 visits later, he could tell me almost word-for-word what went down during any of the previous visits. But he was unresponsive to the things I said.... I got the impression that I was just another old guy who was going to die in a few years and he was basically working from a cookbook.
He rolled a couple of pills and basically called it a wrap.
One of the pills was a beta blocker and it sent my quality of life right down the toilet. Told him that.... no particular response.
Said to myself "The hell with this guy"... and went shopping.
Next guy, I could *talk* with... and when I said something stupid, he would interrupt me and tell me why it was stupid...
And one of the things he told me was that the beta blocker was strictly for the patient's comfort: it reduces the frequency of a-fib episodes.... but, since mine were rare - albeit severe - there was not much reason to take the beta blocker - especially since it was ruining my life.
The one that keeps you alive is the anti-coagulant (afib episodes tend to form clots in the blood as it passes through the heart).... and the incidence of death with or without a beta blocker is the same given that one is taking the anti-coagulant.
I came away feeling *much* better.... OTOH, maybe this guy is all personality, and is BS-ing me.... but I don't think so because I double checked his story with a couple other docs - albeit not cardio buys.
Bottom Line: Shop around!!!! There really are night-and-day differences between docs with the same training.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 10/14/2016 11:15 AM, notbob wrote:

My doctor took the time to explain the several options, their potential side effects, and the costs before telling me what she recommended trying first. Lisinopril worked and it's cheap.

Before taking any meds, try Red Yeast Rice. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TZ476Q/ I take it for cholesterol, but it lowered my ex partners BP to where he no longer takes his BP medicine. YMMV
On 10/14/2016 01:04 PM, ChairMan wrote:

<snip>

I really need to get my blood pressure down ASAP so will go with the doctor's recommendation.
My mother's side of the family has extremely high cholesterol but they have all lived into the 90 - 95 age range. On doctor's advice they briefly took statins and had horrible reactions.
If I do need something for cholesterol though I'd probably take your recommendation over statins though
On 10/14/2016 2:20 PM, philo wrote:

cholesterol is also way over hyped. do your research.
On 10/14/2016 05:37 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Yep. I told my previous doctor many times to forget about it.
philo wrote:

Red yeast Rice contains lovanstatin which is in a lot of medicines for BP, or at least thats what my doc said
On 10/14/2016 5:20 PM, philo wrote:

Tried statins and won't touch them again. I eat 10 to 12 pistachios at lunch every day and that helped bring it down. I still eat butter and eggs too.
On 10/14/2016 06:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep ...no way will I take a statin.
Per philo:

My understanding is that it's more the ratio of HDL to LDL than the actual overall level of cholesterol.
--
Pete Cresswell

Be careful with blood pressure meds. They killed my mom. It was not a direct cause but the Dr over did the meds, she got dizzy a lot, fell broke shit and pretty much gave up the will to live. I stopped taking mine when I started monitoring my BP. It started when I got dizzy walking on the ribs of my screen cage, 15' above the ground. It turned out my BP would crash when I was up and around (doing the potentially dangerous stuff) but it was high if I was just sitting around.
Three lessons there. 1. Check your BP while you are in different activities. 2. Don't trust the Dr blindly. 3. Get up off your ass.
I decided I would rather take my chances with a heart attack instead of falling off the roof or cutting my hand off with the table saw.

Thanks for the advice. I am glad I bought the blood pressure meter so I can check the results at different times.
I have no plans for going up on ladders again but of course do not want to go around getting dizzy.
Guess I will see what happens.
As I mentioned before, after what happened with my wife we will never blindly trust doctors again.
Fortunately she got through a very bad situation...her survival can be traced to the day I drove her to the doctor's office with two shoe boxes full of pills and demanded and explanation.
After several more doctors she is now down from 14 different meds to three and doing better than ever.
On 10/14/2016 12:36 PM, philo wrote:

Much of the over 50 crowd is on pills of some sort. I take metropolol 50 mg twice a day. In addition to thyroid and a couple of ibuprofen to keep the knees pain free.
I don't use a lot of salt and it does not seem to matter for me. I've been trying to lose 20 pounds for the past 10 years with no luck.
At 67 you should be on medicare with no cost for physicals.
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 2:15:51 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I guess I'm lucky, then. Almost 60, and all I take is a multivitamin and glucosamine-chondroitin (more out of superstition than anything else, I think, since I can't tell if it's working). I was on Prilosec for almost 15 years, but I've lost about 80 pounds and don't seem to need it anymore.
I was munching potato chips when I read the OP. My BP ranges between 110/70 and 120/80. I can't imagine it'll last, though. By the time I'm an old fart, I'll be taking medications, too.
Cindy Hamilton
On 10/14/2016 02:21 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Taking meds will be a first for me.
My wife and I also agreed to stop our chip munching habit.
We also got out of our daily walk and have happily started doing that again.
On 10/14/2016 01:21 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. My BP was always pushing to 140 but when it headed to 150 I figured it was time to do something.
Per rbowman:

140 is where my current cardio guy draws the line.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 10/15/2016 09:53 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I drove truck in the '90s and that was a cut-off for the DOT physical. Medication wasn't allowed either because of the potential side effects impacting safety. I was always borderline. The last time I renewed my DL I was over 140. However I hadn't driven a truck in about 15 years and with the new requirements like the DHS vetting if you have a HazMat endorsement, which is necessary for most companies, I dropped the CDL. I'd thought I might retire and drive summers for the hell of it but at this point in my life the only thing I want to drive in the summer is a motorcycle.
The conventional wisdom 60 years ago was 100 plus your age which allowed for the gradual increases with aging. Then they declared anything over 120/80 was borderline hypertension. The latest dogma seems to be 120/80 is nice but extremely aggressive treatment to get you to that reading isn't needed.
On 10/14/2016 01:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I am on medicare and also have supplemental through AARP but they do not seem to cover a routine physical.
If I state something specific, then it will be covered.
First time I went there I said I wanted to physical and as long as I was there, to have my sinuses checked as well.
They told me that to get it covered they'd have to word it as "sinuses" but I'd get a brief physical in the process.
On 10/14/2016 5:32 PM, philo wrote:

It is called a "wellness" exam. Covered once a year https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/preventive-visit-and-yearly-wellness-exams.html
We have the AARP/United Healthcare supplement. My wife has had three hospital visits this year. One was $202,000 list price. so far, my out of pocket expenses for everything is $0.