OT Blocking telemarketers

Page 4 of 4
philo wrote:

I just read the caller id. when phone rings, if it is unknown to me, I just lift the hand set and hang up.

I have heard that if you record that 3 tone sequence you get right before a "this line is disconnected" message and put it in the front of your outgoing message on your answering machine, the robo dialer will delete that number.

I never heard about that one...
Tracking down robocalls is something the NSA could actually help with.
Mark
On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 06:31:39 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

This is not rocket science. They are all selling something. Just figure out who it is and go after that company. In the case of the local HVAC company that wouldn't leave me alone, I just called the number they were paying for in the Yellow Pages and jammed that one up with junk calls. Your fax modem is a great robo caller. Put a note for them to leave you alone in the fax, in case they hook a fax machine up to it ... or just fax them on their fax line ... until they get the message. I get free long distance so that is not an issue either if it is a US number.

That should work for legitimate businesses.
Side issue - a local help line for kids got their lines jammed up and useless as above. Someone wanted $500 to stop. Ended after about a day with no payment. This is helping elsewhere to lines that have to be open, like hospitals.

Might want to look at the law for faxes. I think a company can sue for each unsolicited fax.

If they called me first, it is not unsolicited. I would love to get one of these assholes in court. I would counter sue. Considering who usually sits on the jury, they would be lucky to get away for a million bucks. People have a higher opinion of child molesters than telemarketers.
On 03/08/2014 11:00 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I only have one phone with caller ID on it and am not always near that one when it rings.

as you have a phone wire plugged into the set top box.
I am on the Florida and the federal DNC list and I still get plenty of calls. Filing a complaint seems to be a useless exercise. That is why I am considering sic'cing a lawyer on them.
I can understand how that would be far more effective than anything the government would be willing to do. I doubt the consumer would actually get any money tho.
Occasionally I even get a local business spamming me on the phone. Usually they stop if you tell them too. I did screw with one of them who wouldn't. I set my fax modem to call them every 3 minutes for an hour or so, then I called and told them to take me off of their call list again. That time they did.

I've gotten to the point where I almost do not need a phone at all since I talk to everyone on-line.
Except for the times I'm expecting a call, I could probably just turn the phone ringers off and let the answering machine just pick up the calls.
On 3/9/14 12:26 PM, philo wrote:

Yours is one of the best solutions.
I never was interested in caller ID -- UNTIL we got it by default with AT&T Uverse. Now I think it's great.
If you call my house, you talk to an answering machine, period. The only exception will be if I recognize your number or name on the caller ID (or tv screen, which displays incoming caller ID's as well). MAYBE I will call you back. A lot of times, I don't even bother. And that's even with folks I -know-.
I have Uverse set to block -ALL- calls from outside the USA. There won't be any foreign-generated calls even ringing at this house.
I use the Uverse "call forwarding" feature to direct some numbers I don't want to hear from, to a "dead number". Actually it's my cell phone number (read on).
By the way, I have a cheap ($30 for the entire year, you read that correctly) cell phone for emergencies. Neither you or anyone else on earth can call me on it, because it's ALWAYS turned off. That's why I can direct numbers to it, that will ring forever.
As you may understand by now, I don't want to speak to you (or very few others) on the phone... !!
On 03/09/2014 03:41 PM, John Albert wrote:

What gave me a good laugh was that my answering machine has caller ID but I had been using it for over two years before I even realized it!

Hmm, I am going to go on-line and check my options from Uverse.
Probably a lot I don't even know about.

philo wrote: "I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.
http://www.nomorobo.com/
I just plain had enough of that crap. "
Thanks for sharing that link. Unfortunately, donotcall.gov does not cover "robocalls". Frustrating, isn't it! My land line and cellphone EACH ring 15-20x per day, and only 1-2 of those calls are somebody I know(wife, aunt, etc.).
I will look into that link though.
On 03/09/2014 05:10 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I sure hope it works for you. If I got as many robo calls as you did I'd be pissed. It is disgusting that the " do not call" list is useless.
AT&T offered to give me another phone number (which of course would get the calls too)
If their call blocking service had "wild cards" it would be useful as the vast majority of the calls I get are from Card Services and they all have the same area code and prefix.
On 3/8/2014 6:24 PM, philo wrote:

I should also sign up. Thanks for the link.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 03/12/2014 07:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hope it works for you as well as it does here....it's amazing now to only get phone calls from people I actually know