OT Blocking telemarketers

I'm happy with the service. Internet connection is pretty fast...but occasionally the connection drops. It only cuts out for half a minute a few times a week...but once or twice it dropped a phone call.

That has never happened in all the years I've used a wired connection...but I'm sure when my contract is up for renewal I'll drop the land line and get a cell phone.

Even my 87 year old mother has an iphone.

Reply to
philo

If a girl called, I might ask her if her father knows how she gets money. As the mood strikes me. (I won't use the phrases earns money or makes a living. Too nice for a thief. )

I just checked on Verizon Call Block, and it says you can't sign up for it anymore. It was only 6 or 12 numbers. I suspect there were no wildcards. I don't know if it would have helped much or not, but they'd better think of something to replace it.

Reply to
micky

I dont think I've had any U-verse since I got a front engine car, but I do have constant velocity joints.

Reply to
micky

She's called an imother.

Reply to
micky

Since I put my number on the national "do not call" list in 2003 I don't get calls from "for profits." Doesn't stop "charities." I never hear the actual call. There's always a hesitation before they connect. I just hang up. If they manage to connect, I say "Sorry, not interested." And hang up,

Reply to
Vic Smith

I saw that press release too but am confused by it.

If ATT sells off their copper landlines, how will they deliver the uverse signal?

Reply to
noname

I think it is a paper deal to make money or get tax write offs. When I moved here, Connecticut has only Southern New England Telephone Company. Then we became a Bell customer, then finally ATT. Nothing has changed but the name I put on the check.

The offer for U-Verse is not a big deal from what I can see so far and they cannot give me faster internet speed so I have no reason to change. They are offering a free wi-fi setup, but that would probably be a PITA changing over all my devices.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The problem is, if you transfer your land line number to a cell phone, the telemarketers will follow.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hmmm, I just read the caller id. when phone rings, if it is unknown to me, I just lift the hand set and hang up.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have heard that if you record that 3 tone sequence you get right before a "this line is disconnected" message and put it in the front of your outgoing message on your answering machine, the robo dialer will delete that number.

Reply to
gfretwell

Fiber optics.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Nope, not here. We can get U-verse but there is not a fiber optic within 20 miles. None expected either. ATT was expanding the fiber in our direction but stopped the project a few years back.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

philo wrote: "I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

I just plain had enough of that crap. "

Thanks for sharing that link. Unfortunately, donotcall.gov does not cover "robocalls". Frustrating, isn't it! My land line and cellphone EACH ring 15-20x per day, and only 1-2 of those calls are somebody I know(wife, aunt, etc.).

I will look into that link though.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Yep I'd probably just get a whole new number.

I'd only tell the those I want to hear from of the change.

Reply to
philo

I thunk they use cable , they simply send the digital signal from the pole to the house using the same two wires the analog phone originally used.

Reply to
philo

as answered elsewhere...fiber

Reply to
philo

It's a free service...I would not be surprised if one day I'll get an email informing me they want a fee for their service.

If it works and if I do not get a cell phone, believe me I'd pay for it

Reply to
philo

I double checked and I'm still on the "no call" list but places like "Card Services" ignore it.

I reported them to the FTC as it's got to be illegal.

If I do take a robo call, since there is always a delay I just hang up at once.

Reply to
philo

I only have one phone with caller ID on it and am not always near that one when it rings.

Reply to
philo

Over the last couple days I've gotten several political survey calls on my cell phone. Six or so.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon