OT Blocking telemarketers

Page 2 of 4
On 03/10/2014 12:23 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I made the assumption there is no way within the legal system to handle this....but I did file complaints with the FTC
My guess is that the calls are all coming from individual free-lancers rather than any such organization as "Card Services"
So, if I only get one call from any one person there is probably no way they could easily be prosecuted.
So glad it's stopped now.
On 03/09/2014 11:46 PM, Nil wrote:
[snip]

Obvious fakes. A lot of the calls I get have the Caller ID "name" field set to the same thing as "number". Sometimes, it's "V" followed by a bunch of digits.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I've been keeping a manual log spreadsheet of junk calls for the past couple of years. Volume is actually way down lately from its last peak about 6 months ago. Some of the recent ones include the V-number thing you mention:
number caller ID description 717-203-8889 Albright Amber Card Member Services 360-322-6708 Marysville WA Credit card scammer 978-664-5909 North Reading MA Diamond Plumbing & Heating 971-208-9936 Salem OR energy savings 212-660-5351 New York NY medical alert scam 12-022-0404 unknown Indian computer repair scammer 857-776-3089 Children's Cance bogus charity 202-769-0477 POLLRSRCH13 "political call" 202-817-2940 Washington DC 212-660-5351 New York NY medical alert scam 585-362-4105 Volt Delta LLC verifying phone number 202-769-0477 POLLRSRCH13 "political call" 706-805-1788 Unknown selling solar panels 202-817-2940 V22618251300482 donations 717-608-7443 Cell Phone PA lower interest rate 202-817-2940 V22618251300482 donations 202-817-2940 V30319095500482 donations 877-218-8360 800 Service Childrens Cancer Recovery 951-256-6169 Gray Karen Card Services
Most of the phone numbers only occur once and I never see them again. That's why it's not useful to use my phone service's "block number" feature. Every once in a while the same number will keep calling again over a period of time - at that time I block the number. I'm sure that number would stop being used eventually, anyway.
On Monday, March 10, 2014 5:25:42 PM UTC-7, Nil wrote:

Hah another one like me! On advice of my Congressman's office, I also kept a list. Just threw it away the other day.
The calls I get a LOT these days are less from telemarketers than from loca ls: contractors, plumbers, handymen -- all related to house repairs. I tr y to be polite, but sometimes they don't get the message to take me off the ir lists. I know they're trying to make a buck, but at the same time they' re invading my privacy. I must get more determined about not answering unk nowns.
alt.home.repair:

I started my list because I was curious if I could detect any patterns in the calls. Also to see what numbers, if any, recurred so I could block them. I do find a few numbers that can be blocked, but the majority of them occur only once so blocking isn't effective.

It goes in waves, but lately almost all the calls I get are about 'lowering my credit rate', 'medical alert systems', 'Children's Cancer Recovery', and solar panels. They all display far-away area codes. I occasionally get local calls from someone trying to sell me chimney sweep services (though I have no fireplace). There's one call I kept getting which seemed to be from a real local plumbing company with a real number, but when I researched it it appears that the company is actually out of business, so someone else must have appropriated their number. I've never actually answered their call to see what it is they're selling. That number is now blocked, anyway.
On 3/8/2014 7:57 PM, philo wrote:

Even get them on my cell. 'Do not call lists' are useless, nationwide or state. I'm beginning to believe the crooked politicians are selling the lists!
Frickin card services and robo calls that claim they are delivering 'a public service' !
John
Per John:

I have a small stack of lame-sounding letters from the Pennsylvania DA's office to the effect that "We can't do anything about your complaint because these guys are going offshore and/or using VOIP".
I'm no legal expert, but I'd think that if they were serious about their mission, they'd have honey-pot credit cards and people waiting for Rachel's call. Get down to the point where money changes hands, and go get 'em.
Somebody who claimed to have worked in the industry said that they have a 'Do-not-call-really' list of politician's phone numbers - so they don't irritate the wrong people.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/9/2014 3:52 PM, John wrote:

Well, DUH. These are coming from criminal operations. Do you expect burglars to honor a "keep out" sign posted on your front door?
The do not call lists were designed to block unwanted calls from *legitimate* companies calling to drum up business. Most of the major companies and many local companies honor those lists. Crooks laugh at them.

Great, but it says it does not have coverage for ATT traditional land line. Do you have U-Verse?
On 03/08/2014 06:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, I have U-Verse
Phone and Internet (no TV)
Too bad it does not handle traditional.
I just made the switch less than a year ago.
It's not quite as reliable .
On 3/8/2014 7:57 PM, philo wrote:

I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch. ATT in CT is selling off the regular landline business and keeping the U-verse
On 3/8/2014 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm happy with the service. Internet connection is pretty fast...but occasionally the connection drops. It only cuts out for half a minute a few times a week...but once or twice it dropped a phone call.
That has never happened in all the years I've used a wired connection...but I'm sure when my contract is up for renewal I'll drop the land line and get a cell phone.
Even my 87 year old mother has an iphone.

She's called an imother.

The problem is, if you transfer your land line number to a cell phone, the telemarketers will follow.

Yep I'd probably just get a whole new number.
I'd only tell the those I want to hear from of the change.

I dont think I've had any U-verse since I got a front engine car, but I do have constant velocity joints.
On 3/8/2014 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I saw that press release too but am confused by it.
If ATT sells off their copper landlines, how will they deliver the uverse signal?

I think it is a paper deal to make money or get tax write offs. When I moved here, Connecticut has only Southern New England Telephone Company. Then we became a Bell customer, then finally ATT. Nothing has changed but the name I put on the check.
The offer for U-Verse is not a big deal from what I can see so far and they cannot give me faster internet speed so I have no reason to change. They are offering a free wi-fi setup, but that would probably be a PITA changing over all my devices.

Fiber optics.
--
Dan Espen

Nope, not here. We can get U-verse but there is not a fiber optic within 20 miles. None expected either. ATT was expanding the fiber in our direction but stopped the project a few years back.