OT Blocking telemarketers

Page 1 of 4
I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.
http://www.nomorobo.com/
I just plain had enough of that crap.
On 03/08/14 06:24 pm, philo wrote:

But what happens when numbers are spoofed? A few days ago I had a robocall from "Card Services," but the number that showed up in the Caller ID was a local number just two digits different from my own. I called them, but of course they were not the ones who had called me.
Perce

A spoof call? That really sucks.
I checked my caller ID and all the ones from Card Services were from the same area code and prefix and no spoofs thus far.
I am sure this "nomorobo" could not deal with spoofs.
I also decided to report every call to the FTC but seriously doubt if that will do anything.
Should they manage to get through here again, I'll press "9" to talk to someone and as soon as they come on...ask them to hold, then set the phone down and walk away.
It won't stop them but it may slow them down for a few seconds and get them as pissed off as I am.
Found this
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing
If I get a spoofed call I will report it at for sure.
Again I doubt if it will do any good...but if enough people report...it just may help.

One of them called me, saying they were from Microsoft and I should turn on my computer. I presume you know the rest. They called my brother about a year ago.
I said to the guy, "Does your mother know how you get money".
He said What? so I said it slower.
Then he said "I foak you" and hung up.
On 3/8/2014 8:14 PM, micky wrote:

yes, something like that might actually be fun.
If I get any more calls, I think I'll just do my best to waste as much of their time as possible.

If a girl called, I might ask her if her father knows how she gets money. As the mood strikes me. (I won't use the phrases earns money or makes a living. Too nice for a thief. )
I just checked on Verizon Call Block, and it says you can't sign up for it anymore. It was only 6 or 12 numbers. I suspect there were no wildcards. I don't know if it would have helped much or not, but they'd better think of something to replace it.
On 3/8/2014 9:57 PM, philo wrote:

I consider it a favor to the next victim, when I keep a marketer on the phone.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The only thing you can do to punish telemarketers is to keep them on the line as long as possible.
There are a few lawyers who will try to sue them for you but I am not sure how well that works.

I am not going to look into suing them.
But wasting their time may be a good option

(Amazon.com product link shortened)94382854&sr=8-1&keywords=AIR+HORN
many of those calls are from overseas, the caller can generate ANY caller ID number they want.
On 03/08/2014 06:47 PM, bob haller wrote:

yep, but thus far I have not gotten any such calls.
Before too long I will probably get rid of my land line entirely

How do you know? Nearly all the numbers that you see from robocallers are spoofed.
On 3/8/2014 8:01 PM, Nil wrote:

the numbers do not fit the spoof profile mentioned elsewhere
moot point though as it looks like it's working.
alt.home.repair:

I didn't see any profile mentioned, but based on my experience and from what I've read, almost every illegal robocall displays a faked phone number. Sometimes those numbers actually belong to someone else who didn't make the call.

I'm glad that it's working out for you.
On 03/09/2014 11:46 PM, Nil wrote:

Card Services has so many lines they don't bother to cover their tracks. They make more robo calls than all the others combined and if I was only able to block their calls an no more I'd have been happy.

It's very close to three days now and only one robo call.
That might have been because I picked up right away.
I went back to read more about "nomorobo" and they said to allow one full ring . They apparently have been blocking most of them before I even hear the ring.
Also: I went back to my AT&T account and see they have a number of filtering features I never even knew about.
On 3/10/2014 8:14 AM, philo wrote:

That's because Card Services is a scam run by many many different con artists. The people working for the scammers who run the operation eventually figure out that they can go into the same business for themselves. Which they do, using the same script and fake company name. It's not as if the crook they were working for is going to sue them for stealing their idea. Especially when they're all working in different countries, anyway.
That's the thing to remember: it doesn't matter what number appears on the Caller ID, they are almost always putting up a fake phone number, and they are based outside the US. It makes it much more difficult for the FCC to go after them, since they're outside the FCC's jurisdiction. Especially with regard to Card Services, it's an endless game of whack-a-mole.
On 03/10/2014 09:10 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I have no way to test this now as the robo calls have ceased entirely but my AT&T account gives me the ability to block /all/ overseas calls... but I have not enabled that option
On Monday, March 10, 2014 9:57:37 AM UTC-7, philo  wrote:

It got so bad, I contacted my Congressman's local office. A staffer asked me to send in some of the numbers and they would do ? with the FCC. The fr equency did decrease for a while, but is ramping up. I will contact Congre ssman's office again.
HB