OT Birds crashing into windows!

OT, but what the heck. . They said most dogs had a hard time watching tv but the recent LED (or LCD or something) TVs are easier for them to see.
On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:06:33 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote:

We used to have that problem until my wife got some spider web decals to stick on the windows. There are all sorts of bird-deflector decals on the Internet; just google "spider web decal birds" or something similar and you'll get lots of hits.

on the windows. There are all sorts of bird-deflector decals on the Internet; just google "spider web decal birds" or something similar and you'll get lots of hits.
but the idea is to get LESS hits... :-) Mark

<stuff snipped>
You may be on a migratory path that varies slightly from year to year. If that's true, then the hits should be primarily on the south side of the house as birds fly north for the summer. You can try "bird tape" or let your windows get dirty. Birds fly into them because they see the reflection of trees and sky in them and think they can fly into the reflected image.
The bird tape looks just about as bad as letting the windows get dusty enough to make the reflection not quite as vivid. I know people who've tried hawk silhouettes and all sorts of other tricks, but if you're on a migratory path, not much will help until they've all passed by.
Crashes usually slow down quite a bit after nesting/migration season ends.
There's another possibility. Depending on the type of bird it could simply be a territorial thing, especially with cardinals and robins. They perceive their reflection as a hostile intruder and fly directly at it in an aerial game of chicken, veering off at the last moment and crashing into the glass. From what you've described about them flying around to different windows, this seems more likely to be what's happening to you. It used to be a problem here until I had Andersen windows installed because they have a one-piece screen on the *outside* of the window that dulls the reflectivity of the window.
Still, I hear a "thwack" every now and then, but they usually recover from a smash into the softer screen. They're not very smart little creatures, hence the phrase "bird brain."
When the idiot neighbor kids were playing softball with a golf ball, it dimpled the screen but didn't crack *my* window although they did shatter my neighbor's big bay window. Replacing a pop-in screen is sure a lot easier than replacing a shattered double-hung window. I made the kid's dad pay for the repair because my CCTV cameras captured it all to disk. (-:
Good luck.
--
Bobby G.

On Wed, 15 May 2013 08:06:33 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy

    I had this issue with humming birds, decades ago, but only in one room in the house. There were two large windows, facing each other, at opposite sides of the room, so I suppose the glass was invisible to them and they were trying tunnel through the room. Opening the windows was not an option, as we rely on air-conditioning for most of the year. Our cats would sit outside and grab the stunned birds.     In your case, it looks like the birds are guarding their territory by fighting their reflections in the glass. I've seen this with a Great Kiskadee on my car window. The bird would spend hours trying to kill its "rival", and eventually became weak with the battle, it preferred fight over feed.     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Kiskadee     I suggest using some anti-reflexive compound on the window. Maybe even soap would work. Or a one way-film so it appears opaque from the outside.     I solved my problem parking my car someplace else.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012