OT Big trucks w/crip plates

Page 3 of 5
Per snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

Start looking at Honda Element drivers.
Maybe it's just me, but around here there seem to be a disproportionate percentage of grey heads driving Elements.
My theory is that Honda accidentally put something out that caters to that market.
--
Pete Cresswell

The Element drivers I see here are much younger, typically young families.

Pure unadulterated ugly?
Per snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is the target market

Something that is easy to get in and out of without bumping one's head and which has reasonable interior room.
With American cars, I'm starting to suspect that designers believe people will feel insecure with too much room inside. They build these quite-large cars (the wife's Malibu comes to mind) and then build out the interior so there's hardly any room - not to mention the ludicrous lack of headroom.
--
Pete Cresswell

Are you 6'6"?
Per snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

6'5" with unusual leg proportions.
Was in the service with a guy who, by all indications, has the exact same body as Kmart's size medium clothing dummy. It was amazing: he always looked like he was wearing custom-tailored clothes.
--
Pete Cresswell

You pretend it's a normal situation, though. Most cars are made for one-sigma. You will be buying unusual, well, just about everything.

;-)
Per snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

Something to do with the bell curve?
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Zaky Waky:

Ergonomics is one possibility. Not everybody is 5'8" tall and most cars are optimized for wind tunnels instead of people.
I'm not in love with my F150 and I despised my Suburban.
But the alternatives were leaving oil stains on the headliner, spinal cord injury in a minor accident, chronically sore knees from pressing against the dashboard, having to drop into a full squat to get in or out of the vehicle, banging one's head on the roof getting in, and having the headlights from all those damn pickup trucks and SUVs hitting me at eye level.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/1/2014 9:07 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

When my Dad was alive, he'd give me ride to the repair garage in his Saturn. I have totally no clue how people get in and out of those. My S-10 Blazer is about my size.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The problem is we have an epidemic of McHandicapped people. They have eaten so many McFatAss burgers they now have trouble walking. They caused their own illness...and now the rest of us have to pay increased taxes to pay their medical bills.
Think your taxes are too high? Thank a McFatAss!
From: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html
Adult Obesity Facts On this Page
Obesity is common, serious and costly Obesity affects some groups more than others Obesity and socioeconomic status Obesity prevalence in 2012 varies across states and regions The History of State Obesity Prevalence
Obesity is common, serious and costly
More than one-third of U.S. adults (35.7%) are obese. Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer, some of the leading causes of preventable death. [Read guidelinesExternal Web Site Icon] The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the U.S. was $147 billion in 2008 U.S. dollars; the medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those of normal weight. [Read summaryExternal Web Site Icon]
Per Bubba:

I'm about three-quarters of the way through a book titled "Fat Chance" by Robert H. Lustig (Hudson Street Press).
The guy seems to have some serious credentials and the level of detail in the book is part of the reason I'm only 3/4 of the way through it after quite a few weeks.
My sound-byte-level take-away so far is that obesity:
- Is an almost world-wide epidemic and spreading
- Started in the 70's
- Is directly related the changed composition of people's diet.
- Is, by-and-large, *not* a matter of willpower or morality. Ignorance, yes, will power/morality, no.
--
Pete Cresswell

Yep. That's how it looks to me too. These crips didn't take care of themselves and now the rest of us have to pay for it.

By walking 30' further? You must just be another "fat ass" and pissed because your doctor won't placate you.

Those "crip plates" are not just for paraplegics.

This NG seems to have a lot of kid trolls, too.
On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 12:02:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

No surprise that Illinois is cracking down on abusers of handicap parking permits, especially when it cuts into their revenue! See:
http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/New-Rules-on-Disabled-Parking-Could-Be-Boon-to-City-238476421.html

No, it doesn't cut into their revenue. Going after them enhances it. No issue with making any criminals pay (dearly) but I find people who judge others, without information, to be offensive.
On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 13:35:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Prejudice is distasteful, I agree. Apparently, the state of Illinois believes there is a loss of parking revenue due to those possessing handicap permits parking in metered spots, for long periods of time, at no charge.
It might be logical to assess levels of disability and assign privileges on a graduated basis. e.g., someone who suffers from borderline personality disorder certainly has a disability, but should it entitle them to a handicap parking permit on that basis alone?

Are you saying that you think there should be a "crip parking" bureaucrat appointed to decide who gets a HC plate? ...or should doctors decide what their patients need?
The only thing that bothers me about HC parking is that there seems to be about 10x the number of spaces as needed in many places (HD and such, in particular).
On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 14:14:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I would never use the term "Crip", I consider it to be pejorative.
If you read the article I posted above, you will find an explanation of what they are doing in Illinois and why.
"A state law taking effect Jan. 1 says only motorists whose impairments prevent them from being able to pay a meter can park for free in those spots. Before, anyone with a disability parking placard could do so."
Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/New-Rules-on-Disabled-Parking-Could-Be-Boon-to-City-238476421.html#ixzz2s6IDX3ei
From this information it is apparent the state of Illinois has already passed laws that provide for different levels of disabilities.
In my opinion, I think determining a level of disability for purposes of special privileges or entitlements should be done conjointly by representatives of the respective individual and then reviewed by the state.
Anecdotally, I have personally observed fraud and abuse with the handicap parking privileges not to mention federal and state disability entitlements.
Putting stricter controls in place for all such government privileges and entitlements would be a positive step, IMHO.

Sure. Not my word (hence the "scare quotes").

We're on the same page. My issue is those who judge others based only on their appearance. There *are* legitimate reasons for having a WC permit that may not be obvious to the average Usenetter. Let law enforcement do their job. I wish they would, WRT welfare and disability checks.