OT Big trucks w/crip plates

Page 2 of 5
On 2/2/2014 1:04 AM, Harry K wrote:

That's a big brush you are using. Not on your list, but not a distraction is a backup camera. Won't buy another car without one.
Other upgrades are better instruments, shifting, steering wheel controls, heated seats, lighting options, remote start. I don't see them as distractions.
On Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:39:36 AM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Granted but that has zippo to do with driving on the road.

Heated seats perhaps. Rest of those are either pretty standard for all models in a line. Steerign controls change only to add "play toys", remote start has zippo to do with driving,
To each his own. I know people (way too many) blowing 40-60 thousand on 4x SUVs and trucks with no intention of ever using 4x or hauling anything but people.
Harry K

At least now, they tend to come with upgraded radio or even navi. The display doesn't just do one thing.

Upgraded carpeting (the base, and even the next level (SLX?) are pretty spartan.

Not so.

SUVs are intended to haul people. I "blew" half that on my F150 and it wasn't base, by any means. Sure, it was possible to spend that much but not necessary to have some fairly nice features. If I'm going to drive it for ten years, or more (last truck was 13 years), I'll spend a little on some niceties.

My thinking too. I drive about 22k miles a year so I want to make my time as comfy as possible. I like the XM radio too.

I paid for XM for my wife's '14 Mustang. We intend to use it for trips, where XM excels. I didn't renew the subscription for the F150 because I normally use it to go to the BORG and back and forth to work. I generally listen to news/talk on those trips. I can use my iPod if I need to go longer. OTOH, they've offered my 50% off (pay for six months, get 12) so I might bite. After you let the subscription lapse, they start offering better deals.
Per snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

My F150 is the worst-driving vehicle I've ever owned. The Suburban was pretty bad, but at least it went in snow without 4wd. The F150 really *needs* 4wd and the rear end wants to break away on almost anything short of perfectly-dry pavement.
OTOH, it's envelope is pretty close to my own envelope and that's a good thing. If I were driving a Porsche, I'd probably be dead within the year.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 5:32:20 AM UTC-8, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

You are describing ANY 2x half-ton pickup. Without some weight in the bed they are very light on the rear end. At least the suburban has some weight back there. You are also grossly exaggerating the handling characteristic s. That you can't drive one like a sports car and are thereby disappointed only shows you don't understand the purpose for which they were built.
It's a WORK truck, not a play-toy although I see way too many 4xs that are bought as, and treated like, play toys.
Harry K

I bought mine because I'm always doing something around the house. Cars just don't cut it if you're a DIY homeowner.
On Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:18:25 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

<snip>

ght back there. You are also grossly exaggerating the handling characteris tics. That you can't drive one like a sports car and are thereby disappoin ted only shows you don't understand the purpose for which they were built.

That wouild be a work truck then. I have a stock of firewood now that will last me the rest of the time I have but will still always have a work truc k to haul stuff a car, van or SUV can't. Even when I cut, the only time th e truck moves is if it will be hauling something (trash, recycle, yard wast e, etc).
Harry K

seats), sync radio, and keyless entry (and all that rot). Is it still a "work truck"?
On Monday, February 3, 2014 10:52:23 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

weight back there. You are also grossly exaggerating the handling characte ristics. That you can't drive one like a sports car and are thereby disapp ointed only shows you don't understand the purpose for which they were buil t.

ruck to haul stuff a car, van or SUV can't. Even when I cut, the only time the truck moves is if it will be hauling something (trash, recycle, yard w aste, etc).

Yes if you do actually use it for hauling stuff. Commuting does not count as "work".
Harry K
Per Harry K:

I agree 100% - and my expectations are correspondingly low.
But it's still the worst handling vehicle I've ever owned.
That doesn't make it intrinsically "bad". It is what it is and I can deal with that. "Horses for courses".
--
Pete Cresswell

That's an exaggeration. My 2013 was pretty good in the Atlanta ice the other day. The back end never came loose. Yeah, if I still lived in Vermont, I would have paid the extra $2000 for 4WD. My Ranger was 4WD and in the five years I had it down here, I never once used 4WD. No need for 4WD here.

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:16:50 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I live in snow country up in Washington and have never had a 4x. Always go t where I am need to using winter tires. I also heat with wood (6 cord or more/yr) cut my own, Every _needed_ 4x? A couple times. Had to call a to w to get me unstuck once, thought I would have to again but after 1/2 hours work packing brush got out. Othere than that once.
As for truck driving characteristics he is most definitely exaggerating wit h a possible exception. My first truck was a badly used F250 with very wid e tires (definitely not OEM). It was 'squirrely' even on dry pavement. I change them back to normal size almost immediately - problem solved.
Harry K

I wouldn't have made it with 2WD on my Ranger. All 2Wd pickups suck in ice and snow. It's the nature of the beast.

Perhaps. I've always used the stock (sized) tires. I know studs will really make a car feel like it's on ice when the pavement is only wet.
On Monday, February 3, 2014 10:55:31 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

or more/yr) cut my own, Every _needed_ 4x? A couple times. Had to call a tow to get me unstuck once, thought I would have to again but after 1/2 ho urs work packing brush got out. Othere than that once.

Which is why I don't use my truck, unless some very overriding reason exist s doesn't move in snowy conditions. Always took the wife's car which have a lso all been 2x.
Stuck my truck today. Hauling brush to the neighbor's brush pile, backed h alf way across the pasture to the brush pile and hit a rock stopping me. Y ep, in 2" of snow on almost level ground I couldn't move either way. Walke d home (1/4 mile) for the car and set of chains, laid 'em in front of the w heels and drovre right on out, came home with my brush. I'll mount the cha ins tomorrow and make the trip - got 2 more loads after that.
If I have to buy another car I'll probably HAVE to go to 4x. 2x in a car h as become almost as rare as 2x and stick in a truck.
Harry K
Per Harry K:

When I had my Suburban, I used to make a game out of seeing how far I could go in 2wd.
18" of new-fallen snow on unplowed roads was no problem - you just had to think of the front wheels more as rudders when steering.
The only times I'd get stuck and need 4wd were when I did something bone-headed like come to a stop before trying to turn uphill in a rutted intersection.
The real value of 4wd to me was taking the pressure off when following one of those guys who seemed determined to get stuck. When he'd finally manage it, just come to a stop, drop it in 4wd, and slowly pull around...
--
Pete Cresswell

You left out the best part.,.. smiling and waving (grin)
but what they conceal is vital."
Per Kurt Ullman:

Could that be a textbook example of Schadenfreude?
I didn't want to admit to it... but it's true..... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

We had an older couple last night in a 2wd pickup trying to get up the hill to get out of The Holler . Couldn't make it on their own so one of the neighbors hooked up to them with his 4X4 Chevy truck and was moving them right on up the hill - when for no apparent reason the woman driving the P/U put her brakes on <witnessed by another neighbor who was waiting for them to get clear so he could go up> . I got kinda pissy , as I was on my way out to pick the wife up from work ... told the people they had no damn business out there in those conditions with a 2WD truck . They ended up backing it down and to the side so we could all get out . Got a call from the Good Sam neighbor just before we left town that the road was clear , apparently the woman did the same thing several times before they basically forced her to let someone else drive her truck up to the flat on top . Good thing they made it when they did , by the time I got back out here it was slick enough that I slid a little coming in . Probably that slick in part because of all the attempts to get those fools out . (I heard later last night that they were leaving because of a family dispute , not because they really wanted to .)
--
Snag