OT Big trucks w/crip plates

Page 1 of 5
I live in a rural farm area where there are a lot of big pickup trucks like this: <http://sportscars2013.com/2013-dodge-ram-1500-pickup-truck/ and many of them have "disabled" window-tags or plates because there are a lot of old people around here driving them. My questions is: if you are so cripped-up that you need a crip plate, then how can you climb up and down into that thing?
Since this NG has a lot of old crips hanging around, I thought this would be a good place to ask. Your not working so you have the time to answer.
Zaky Waky wrote:

Hi, I am not old by today's standard(just going on 74 this year. retired in '96). I don't drive PU truck but I drive SUV. It is not easy to stoop down to get in/out of a car but getting in/out of SUV is much easier. This is the case at least for us. Wife's car is also smaller SUV than mine. Obviously you are not old, are you?
Tony Hwang wrote:

Old or young he/she/it is a troll . Ignore it and it will eventually go away .
--
Snag

No, I'm really interested in the answer. I'm a young 45 but would have minor trouble climbing in and out of one of those monsters. Whenever I see them being driven by a 65+ year old 350+Lbs breathless wobbler, I wonder how they get in and out.
OTOH, maybe the crip-plates they have are just a scam.
Per Zaky Waky:

Maybe with difficulty if they're average height - but if they're 350, the extra room (including shoulder room) probably outweighs the difficulty.

I think there's quite a bit of that going around. In Philadelphia (PA, USA) the city politicians were getting handicapped tags at one time. Dunno if anybody's remedied that, but it's an obvious move for somebody with no sense of shame.
Also not everybody with a handicapped tag is obviously crippled. Some people can walk normally, but experience pain with every step and the more steps they take, the more it hurts - and beyond a certain number of steps, they're not going to get much sleep that night.
And I'm also guessing that there are people with severe pulmonary and/or cardiovascular limitations that restrict the distance they can walk.
Bottom line, though, I suspect there are more phony handicapped tags out there than most people would like.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/1/2014 9:13 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Reminds me of a friend of my Dad's. This was twenty or so years ago, when Dad and Vic were both alive. Anyhow, Vic relates the conversation as he was sitting in his big Ford passenger car (maybe a Crown Vic) in a handicap spot, with handicap tag on the miror:
Passerby: You're not handicapped! Vic: You consider a wooden leg a handicap? Passerby: Uh, well, yes. Vic: I got two of them.
(Vic had crashed a plane in world war two, and lost both legs below the knee.)
In fairness, I've seen enough people with tags get out, and nimbly walk in and out of stores.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I repeat, not all of those who qualify for "crip plates" are paraplegic.

That's been my impression for many years. The VAST majority of people I see getting in/out of vehicles with handicapped plates or placards have no apparent trouble walking that I can see. Nor do I notice any signs of pain or discomfort when they walk.
On 2/1/2014 9:48 AM, CRNG wrote:

You should have been a doctor. Oh, you seem to be practicing medicine anyway.
I don't have a HC plate and if you watched me walk to the store you'd think I was just another guy. I've had knee surgery, injections, and eventually will have replacements. Even though every step brings pain, you see fit to judge me otherwise. I hope you never need an HC plate, but there would be some justice to it.

+1

Don't need to be a Doc. Just not blind.
There seems to be a lot of anger here towards anyone who doesn't want to kiss the fat asses of the crips.
Enjoy your life. You made it.
On 2/1/2014 9:13 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Being a politician is a handicap - mental illness that craves power. Are they sociopaths, psycholpaths or both?
On 2/1/2014 8:13 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that handicap placards were one of the hottest selling items at flea markets in California. ^_^
TDD
Zaky Waky wrote:

OK , I can see that . As Tony said , they can be easier to get in/out compared to say a regular car . We see a lot of 4X4 trucks/SUVs around here <N.central Arkansas , on the Ozark Plateau> but it seems the ones that are lifted/modified/monster tired mostly belong to younger guys . And there's a lot of handicap plates here as this area is a retirement destination . 4WD/AWD is almost a necessity around here , we couldn't get out of our driveway in winter without it . And sometimes that ain't enough , my wife slid on ice 3 1/2 weeks ago coming home in an ice storm and totalled her 4WD SUV ... and she <and I , for that matter> learned to drive in snow country .
--
Snag

On 2/1/2014 7:41 AM, Zaky Waky wrote:

Waky Zaky a punk kid. I wish I was 45 again, back then I would often put a compressor for a 5 ton AC unit on my shoulder then take it up my 24 foot ladder to a rooftop in order to swap out a burned up compressor. A couple of years ago I was still working and I changed out a compressor in a 7.5 ton rooftop condenser but I used a winch to slide it up my 24' ladder. I still had to wrestle it in and out of the condensing unit but was able to it. I can't even work on my own vehicle these days and it's quite frustrating to have trouble with stairs or uneven ground. o_O
TDD
On Friday, January 31, 2014 11:03:27 PM UTC-8, Tony Hwang wrote:

like > this: <http://sportscars2013.com/2013-dodge-ram-1500-pickup-truck/ and

lot

own

ld>

.

Me and wife are 78. Back in 2005 I went shopping for a 'retirement' vehicl e - criteria 'easy to get in and out'. Tried a van on a windy day. Ya got ta be kidding!!.
Tried an SUV but my prejudice against those contraptions said no and the lo usy gas mileage only confirmed it.
Tried Subaru but didn't see much improvement over a standard mid size car.
Looked at the Ford 500 - and bought it. sits up considerably higher than r egular mid sized, basically turn around and sit down, no crawling down int o a hole. Decent gas mileage. I'd still like one that sits up higher thou gh. Still driving it at 60,000 miles - we don't do a lot of traveling.
For a good 'old age' car one is hard to find. Basically I want a 2x stripp ed model with no frills that I wouldn't use anyhow. I had a slow day waitn ing on a lube/oil change and checked with salesman for such a car. Not ava ilable except by special order.
Harry K

We're not your age but bought two vehicles last year. The back end of my Ranger rusted out so there wasn't much choice but to replace it. Used vehicles were just stupid expensive so I bought a new F150. I like it a lot.
On the way out of the dealership, the sales manager mentioned that they had just gotten a Mustang convertible in the same color. A few days later my wife said "I want it", so... Not exactly a "sit upright" car. Fun, though. ;-)

It really seems they are missing the market. Something on the order of 60% of the new cars were bought by people over 55. This demographic is the only one with the money.

The 150 is a good size. We have an F250 4WD for the shop. I really dislike driving it right from getting into it. My maintenance supervisor uses it mostly and says it makes a good plow truck.

I don't want a stripped model. I want everything. I have a 4 door sedan with a turbo and every option.

HAving moved up from a Ranger, it did take a little getting used to driving it. SWMBO still won't get in the left seat. It really drives well, though.

I don't want turbo but I like creature comforts. I got the 5L V8 on the F150 instead of the V6 twin turbo "ECO" engine.
On Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:12:49 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Creature "comforts" are heater, A/C, power windows and at least drivers seat, good radio. Those come standard on all vehicles any more, even the stripped ones. All the rest are just play toys that take your attention off driving.
Harry K