OT: Ben & Jerry on "Occupy Wall Street"

I'm about to go on Medicare, and it looks like the United Healthcare supplemental through AARP is the best bet. I figure what's good enough for millions of Medicare recipients, unions, and government workers is good enough for me. I expect the company to remain flush with taxpayer subsidies via Obamacare, or even Paul Ryan's voucher plan. As you say, go with the flow. I'm just hoping the good various Democratic and Republican Congress folks placed their bets on United Healthcare stocks when they used inside info to boost their portfolios. That would give me even more confidence I made the right choice of health insurance offered by our system of free enterprise..
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

Good luck. You've made an informed decision based on the value to you. My personal quibble is the AARP hook. If the AARP touches something, in my view, that something is forever contaminated and not to be trusted. But if the evil AARP plan works for you, then best wishes.
My Medicare Advantage plan is through Humana and I couldn't be happier.

Turned out I went on the United Advantage via phone. Can't say the AARP site was helpful in guiding me to that. Seems I got led to supplementals and drug plans. Maybe I was influenced by old folks swearing by their supplementals. Almost signed up for a $720 yearly drug plan and a $1950 yearly supplemental. Just before hitting the submit button to enroll in the drug plan, I noticed a warning about being on a Medicare Advantage plan with drug benefits and this plan being non-sympatico. Didn't know the Advantage included drugs. So I decided to check the Advantage plan page on the AARP site. Saw the premium is ZERO. So I called and talked to a licensed ins agent to get the skinny. He explained the taxpayer pays the premium to United Healthcare. Same with Humana I guess. The agent was a regular guy and helpful. After we went over my use of doctors and drugs, he said the Advantage was a no-brainer for me. We didn't talk commissions, but I expect he doesn't care if his comes from United Healthcare or the U.S. Government via taxpayers. I'm sure the CEO feels the same. That's what free enterprise is all about. If my health stays near the same I'll save a bundle with the no-premium Advantage plan. Even the Advantage drug copays only add to about $600. I see about another max $500-700 in copays. Some hospital stays could change that, but that won't happen now that you and BobR said best wishes. Thanks!
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

In the dim past, we went to the doctor when we got sick.
At our age, we should go to the doctor to keep from GETTING sick.
Bear in mind that routine blood tests and other diagnostic aids should be undertaken every six months or at your doctor's proposed schedule. YMMV, but continued checking will prevent a host of bigger problems.

I can't think of any reason why anything routine would need to be done every 6 months. Non-routine stuff like A1c hemoglobin for diabetes control or if you are on blood thinners, or they are tracking something specific, maybe. If anyone is interested, the general guidelines for most everything medical can be found at http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstfix.htm

Depends on your needs. The Advantage plan would cost me a lot more than the United plan we have. It may be OK for me, not for my wife.
On 12/13/11 10:20 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's absurd that one has to pick a plan that suits a specific combination of meds that one takes -- and then if the prescription changes, one could be screwed.
Perce
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 22:46:53 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

We have plan "F". It is not so much the meds, but the doctor end. She can still maintain her present doctors, there is no co-pay for the visits, no co-pay for Medicare, no co-pay for the hospital, testing, etc. Of course, you pay a higher premium for it, but she gets a payback.
We also have coverage out of country. We don't go all that often, but the peace of mind is good to have.
My experience with United is from the other side and they have the worst record in the industry as far a paying. Their association with AARP also makes them the very bottom of my list. Wish you the best though.
Vic Smith wrote:

Then I would suggest you find another company to deal with. That is the beauty of choice.

Are they a mutual insurance company? If not, you have no say. If yes, then you get your one vote.

Where is the line? Who are you to determine where that line is?

THAT'll fix 'em.
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 22:59:21 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Not a mutual company, but I still get to decide where to send my money each month.

There is no hard line, but it is a question of ethics. I don't blame the CEO as much as the board of directors. We worship pro athletes and celebrities too, and shower them with crazy amounts of money. That is a whole other subject though.

If enough of us do it, it will.

The thing is that, if you look at the 10-Ks, there are NO honchoes that get anywhere near $100 mill in salary. Most get aroun $1 mill, some as high as $3. The BIG money comes from bonuses and stock options. These come from a change in the tax law that the Congress passed (ironically enough because they thought honchoes were getting paid too much in salary). This change effectively capped the salary (what they get paid for actually running the company) by capping the deduction the company could take at $1 million. In another rather ironic action, as it turns out, they tax advantaged options and performance based bonuses (and this is where the irony kicks in) to "align the interests of the executive with those of the stockholders". So, instead of paying someone to actually run the company, the Congress deemed it better if they (overpaid) someone to run the books and thus the stock price. That, combined with the stock market taking off resulted in the pay problems you see today. I don't think it was a coincidence that the first major accounting scandal took place within the next two years.

Once again the old saying that for every action there will be an opposite and equal reaction. Congress constantly tries to correct one problem by creation of even more potiential opposite problems. They went after corporate salaries only to see greater abuses on the stock side. When will they learn?
Kurt Ullman wrote:

The congress should pass a law that anyone with the title of CEO had 100% tax rate, and will be executed by firing squad after one year in position.
At least, that's my company's Major Stockholder position, and we don't have a CEO here. Will that help?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 12/14/2011 3:53 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Please fix the configuration problems in your newsreader.
BobR wrote:

Oh, it's easily demonstrated that most problems in society are the result of a liberal program failing miserably to correct smaller, upstream, problems. Education, homelessness, and others are good examples.

Your choice, but you don't get a vote on executive compensation. Sorry.

Then you admit that you're talking through your ass.

If enough of us were awake, Obama would still be the Junior Senator from Illinois.
He'd do a lot less damage, voting "present".
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If enough of us were awake, Obama would never have gotten that far.