OT: Ben & Jerry on "Occupy Wall Street"

Page 1 of 3
I can't find this at CNN.com, but I saw the interview this morning on TV: Ben & Jerry (the ice-cream people) support the "Occupy" movement and say that business has a responsibility to reduce inequalities in society.
Perce
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ben & Jerry have ALWAYS supported the far left and their notions But at least they, unlike most leftists actually DO put their money where their mouths are.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:01:33 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"

I always liked their 7:1 policy from when they founded their company. Nobody in the company could make more than 7 times the lowest paid employee.
I think it lasted as long as they were in charge.
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–
That prevented them from hiring the truly effective executives, who are worth more.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Like the bunch that ran the banks into the ground and gave themselves big bonuses at the same time?
-C-

Add pictures here
βœ–
Took me a moment. You mean the US Congress, right?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

More like the ones that paid Newt $1.3 Million for doing nothing while running the company into bankruptcy.
-C-

Add pictures here
βœ–
Country wrote:

Yeah, that's a common technique. "Think how much worse it would have been without the stimulus."
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Dec 12, 10:02 am, "Stormin Mormon"

And it didn't include their increase in net worth based on the value of their holdings in the company.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/12/11 11:02 am, Stormin Mormon wrote:

We've seen how much good those high-salary executives did to some of the companies they were running.
If the executives that B&J were able to hire at 7x the pay of the lowest-paid employee ran the company to the satisfaction of its owners, who are you to object?
Perce
Add pictures here
βœ–
1) the USA has something called "freedom of speech" 2) Please point out where I have objected.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

While others have done great things.

Logic isn't your strong suit, obviously.
Add pictures here
βœ–
http://www.benjerry.com/activism/occupy-movement /
those who Occupy: We stand with you.
We, the Ben & Jerry's Board of Directors, compelled by our personal convictions and our Company's mission and values, wish to express our deepest admiration to all of you who have initiated the non-violent Occupy Wall Street Movement and to those around the country who have joined in solidarity. The issues raised are of fundamental importance to all of us. These include:
a.. The inequity that exists between classes in our country is simply immoral. b.. We are in an unemployment crisis. Almost 14 million people are unemployed. Nearly 20% of African American men are unemployed. Over 25% of our nation's youth are unemployed. c.. Many workers who have jobs have to work 2 or 3 of them just to scrape by. d.. Higher education is almost impossible to obtain without going deeply in debt. e.. Corporations are permitted to spend unlimited resources to influence elections while stockpiling a trillion dollars rather than hiring people.
We know the media will either ignore you or frame the issue as to who may be getting pepper sprayed rather than addressing the despair and hardships borne by so many, or accurately conveying what this movement is about. All this goes on while corporate profits continue to soar and millionaires whine about paying a bit more in taxes. And we have not even mentioned the environment.
We know that words are relatively easy but we wanted to act quickly to demonstrate our support. As a board and as a company we have actively been involved with these issues for years but your efforts have put them out front in a way we have not been able to do. We have provided support to citizens' efforts to rein in corporate money in politics, we pay a livable wage to our employees, we directly support family farms and we are working to source fairly traded ingredients for all our products. But we realize that Occupy Wall Street is calling for systemic change. We support this call to action and are honored to join you in this call to take back our nation and democracy.
- Ben & Jerry's Board of Directors
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
βœ–
Those are some serious leftists. I wish they could understand a couple basic points. I'll insert some text after my initials.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Please stop doing that. Your text gets cut out after your sig. Please (once again) use bottom posting and add your sig at the very bottom.
Apart from that, I probably wouldn't have read much of your right wing drivel anyway. At least the very first things you mention are in fact opposite of what you say, but you'll dismiss that as left-wing drivel, most likely.
I'm all for cutting regulations, but that assumes that ALL business will act responsibly, both towards workers and to the environment. Indeed "assume" here means what we know it means.
Still respecting everyone's opinion ...
--
Best regards
Han

They have always had that sort of stance. Remember when they wanted to hire a CEO to run things for them and they figured a fair pay is 7X the lowest paid job in the place? Could not find a manager to work that cheap.
That compares to the CEO of United Healthcare that made $100 million, about 1260 times the average wage at their place.
Somewhere between is a fair salary.
Add pictures here
βœ–

There will always be someone who will find a way to abuse anything and everything but that is not reason to destroy that which they would abuse in order to stop them. It seems that more and more are all to willing to totally destroy the system that has built this country in order to keep a few from abusing it.
"Who is the public? What does it hold as its good? There was a time when men believed that 'the good' was a concept to be defined by a code of moral values and that no man had the right to seek his good through the violation of the rights of another. If it is now believed that my fellow men may sacrifice me in any manner they please for the sake of whatever they believe to be their own good, if they believe that they may seize my property simply because they need it - well, so does any burglar. There is only this difference: the burglar does not ask me to sanction his act." Hank Rearden
Add pictures here
βœ–

Who are you to decide what one person pays another is "fair" or not, unless they're doing it with your money?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:43:17 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

They are. I'm a policy holder and pay a premium every month. The rate went up this year for essentially the same coverage. Take 90 of that 100 million and I bet the premiums can come down a bit.
I don't object to a good salary, even a fantastic salary. No one is, IMO, worth $100million a year. No one.
Next year, I may not be a policy holder.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Good point. If your suggestion was implemented, 54 million policy holders would see a weekly decrease of their premium of 3.2 cents. You could probably get a member of the current administration's economic team to take the job for slightly less. But if you do recruit such a person, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"

Ah, but you don't get a vote. If you want to have a voice on this issue, buy some United Healthcare stock.

Of course you should make a decision on the value of their policy to you. And your decision may very well not be in their favor. But to base a decision on the internal machinations of a vendor, rather than that vendor's value of its offered product or service, is usually not a good plan.
Add pictures here
βœ–