OT: Beer Prices ?

Page 2 of 2
| My favorite is Moosehead, a Canadian beer. A beer joke from my Canadian friends: |
I remember that one from many years ago. I didn't know it was still around.
Per Pavel314:

My German relatives used to refer to American beer as "Pisswasser".
Now, with the EU and all, I hear they're actually drinking Bud and the like over there.
--
Pete Cresswell

| My German relatives used to refer to American beer as "Pisswasser". | | Now, with the EU and all, I hear they're actually drinking Bud and the | like over there.
Years ago I dated a British woman and visited England for a couple of weeks. I found that the more upscale and youth-oriented the bar, the more likely they were to serve American brands. And not just American; bottom-of-the-barrel American brands like Schlitz. In their defense, though, I think that's a universal tendency. This very night is the final installment on PBS of the absurd soap opera known as Downton Abbey. If it were American no one would watch such drivel except on the major networks at 2PM on weekdays, but for the droves of Anglophile PBS supporters it's high culture. :)

We have a discount liquor outlet here (Total Wine) that sells beer cheaper than the grocery store, unless it is on sale at the grocery. The shop and rob places are a mixed bag but it is still less than a buck a 12 pack difference.
On 3/5/2016 6:59 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Are you buying (treating)? :>

Beer distributor 30 pack just over $20. Depends on brand. 6 pack at certain special outlets $7. Bars usually more for 6 pack here in pa. They just started allowing beer distributors to sell 12 packs. No 6 packs at beer distributors.
Greg
On 3/6/2016 4:00 AM, gregz wrote:

PA has some interesting laws to protect everyone in their niche. Beer distributors can only sell full cases (now 12 packs) but bars and delis can only sell up to a couple of quarts.
Liquor and wine are only sold in state owned stores. It was not even self service until the mid 1960s. Used to be you told a clerk what you wanted and he went into the back room to get it.
Per Ed Pawlowski:

A looooong time ago I was treasurer of a rather large civic association in Philadelphia.
To raise money, we had a "Truckload of Booze" raffle and it fell upon me to go down to the nearby State Store to purchase $1,500 worth of liquor.
This was when $1,500 was big bucks - and independent store owner would have had his wife or daughter out there serving me coffee and cake while I waited for the order to be picked.
State store employee with an enormous beer belly took my list, looked at it... an expression of disgust crossed his face, and he said to a co-worker, right in front of me, "See what we have to put up with"....
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/5/2016 8:59 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 7:59:21 AM UTC-6, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

It's funny that gas is cheaper than beer. :-)
Per Andy:

I have priced bottled water that is more expensive than gas... and people were buying the stuff.
Go figure...
--
Pete Cresswell

Per burfordTjustice:

If I see a penny on the street, I stop, bend over, and pick it up.
It's called respect for money.
An American, an Englishman, and a Scot sit down at the bar and each orders a beer.
Bartender delivers the beers and, amazingly, each beer has a fly in it.
American shoves the beer aside and yells "Bartender!... bring me another beer".
Englishman makes a face, daintily reaches into the beer, pinches the fly, lifts it out of the beer, and throws it aside.
Scot pinches the fly, lifts it out of the beer...... And wrings it out.
--
Pete Cresswell

You must be that guy who shows up at someone's house to do some home repairs, and you come with a very large toolbox. Inside that toolbox is a couple screwdrivers (in a can), and a 24 pack of beer!