OT. Beer can shape.

Page 1 of 2
Why is the beer/soda can shaped like it is: http://tinyurl.com/ograss9 From Popular Mechanics.
On 04/18/2015 01:04 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Also:
The cost of the can is considerably more than the beer itself.
philo wrote:

I bookmarked his series on YouTube called Engineerguy. That's some interesting stuff. The show How It's Made on the Science Channel is good to watch.
On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 21:03:25 -0500, Dean Hoffman

Very good!

I'll chec it out.

I'm still trying to use the youtube software!
Why after all these years can't I play it backwards? Or at least, is there a good way to go back 30 seconds and replay something? When I press pause, it always has a hard time restarting
And this time I started to watch the animated version mentioned during Engineer Guy's good version. I got bored and wanted to go to one of the other many selections, but how to do I make the one I'm watching finish right away?
micky wrote:

No idea, though there must be a ton and a half of computer whiz kids who would know.

No you aren't.
Youtube is a web site that sends audio files to your computer.
The software you use to play those files is on _your_ computer.

Not something most people would want to do.

That makes more sense than playing backwards.
Most browser video players have a progress bar at the bottom of the screen. Drag the dot with the mouse.

Press the triangular forward button.

Same deal with the progress bar.
--
Dan Espen

Shows a cola can over time, but probably applies to beer also:
http://leibold.com/boldpost_images/coke.jpg

It's driven by the html code in the youtube webpage.

Have you actually tried that?. It works very badly when it works at all.

It usually doen't work.

Moving the dot to the end has worked for me once, but it didn't work this time. Instead the video would not go forward any farther.
Are you claiming this stuff works for you, or only that you've never wanted to do these things,
What browser do you use? What OS?
On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 7:30:53 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I'm using Win 7 and IE here and youtube works OK. Always has on previous OS's and Microsoft browsers too. Occasionally something will happen, it won't restart, you can't move forward to a new spot. But then just reloading the page almost always fixes it. The beer can video worked here.

What?
The html contains the name of the video file. The verb "driven" is not correct. Try "named".

Yes, I tried it. It's far from exact and worse the longer the video is. But it's all most browser/video players provide.
To get more control, you'd need to download the video and use a different player. Youtube doesn't want you to download the videos but if you are persistent, you might find a way.

Can't remark on your experience, just my own. Works every time for me. Be aware that any click on the video is usually a pause. Also there may be some keyboard keys that affect playing. It would be nice if the cursor keys worked, but they didn't for the browser I tried.

Works for me.
Firefox/Linux.
--
Dan Espen

On 4/20/2015 7:30 AM, micky wrote:

Youtube video progress bar:
If you click ahead of the progress bar into the black portion you need to wait for the buffering (grey portion) to catch up. The red portion is what has played. The grey bar in front of the red shows how much of the video has been downloaded and buffered to your computer's memory.
I am on DSL which isn't as fast as cable so see this all the time with youtube videos. Sometimes if I click ahead of the grey progress bar into the black portion the video won't play and looses its connection so the page needs manually reloaded. This is generally accompanied by an error message.
Those on cable may never or only briefly view the grey portion of the progress bar actually advancing and not notice the black unbuffered portion.
As far as running it backwards, as far as I know it won't do that, but you can click on the red portion that has already played to replay all or a portion of what has been viewed.
If you want to pause the video you are watching and watch something else you will need to watch the second video in a new tab or new window. Just clicking on it in the current window resets the connection of the current window.
At least thats how it works in Firefox running on XP here.
John
On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 11:04:26 -0700, wrote:

not sure I understand the question. However, I always thought the subtle difference between soda and beer can shape was to enable highway patrolman an easy visual differentiation at a distance between drinking while driving and having a soda.
On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 8:13:04 AM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote:

Seems to me typical soda and beer can shapes are and look very much the same, even when you're up close. Except for the exceptional ones, like Michelob Ultra slim cans.
As to the video, it's a interesting one, but it would be better called how beverage cans are made. The beginning is pretty lame, implying that the sole driving factor was fitting them into the smallest space possible. Spheres? Cubes? Good grief. Clearly one of the biggest drivers was a shape you could hold and drink from. And we already had the water glass. I would think the choice of a cylinder was fairly obvious.
On 04/19/2015 07:15 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

It was a rhetorical question.
The OP was not asking a question.
That said, what makes you think a soda can and a beer can look different?
The difference is the label and the contents.

My reply was 'tongue in cheek'
Maybe just me, but 12 oz beer cans look TOTALLY different than 12 oz soda cans. Haven't bought any in loooonnnnng time, so maybe the two are now the same.
I buy Beck's non-alcoholic brew out of Bremen - comes in bottles. Get all the vitamins and stomach settling 'goodness', but none of the titillation(sp?) and resulting loss of brain cells. Plus, one of the few brews that actually is ok with fish and stands up to ice in the glass without seeming all watery.
I once had a highway patrolman tell me that consuming non-alcoholic brew while driving is not a 'chargeable' offense. And he could actually tell from a goodly distance whether a driver was consuming non-alcholic brew by viewing the container so would not stop him. Now THAT's pattern recognition!

Totally off topic, but I was stopped by a cop once on a small road from the Rockville Pike to I-70 west of DC and Balt.
He talked to me for a while and asked me if I had been drinking. I hadn't, and after a little while he went back to his car and I left.
It was only 5 seconds after I started driving again that I realized why he stopped me. I had been eating from a bag of M&M's and I had to wiggle the wheel to get an M out of the bag. So I was wiggling and wiggling the steering wheel and he thought I was drunk.
Had I figured this out when he was there, and had I told him, would that have been good or bad for me? Would he call that reckless driving to eat M&M's while driving?
On 04/20/2015 06:42 AM, micky wrote:

He could have given you a ticket for inattentive driving I suppose.
Had he asked, it probably would have been better to tell him you sneezed.

Today? Sadly, NEVER explain. Even when asked. Say NOTHING. [I learned the hard way(s).]
On 4/20/2015 9:07 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

And, yes, that sounds like great wisdom.
On 4/20/2015 7:42 AM, micky wrote:

Similar situation about 1:30 AM when the drunks are leaving the bars. I was trying to get a CD from the case and into the radio. I did a couple of wiggles. I was back on my way in less than a minute.
No complaints from me though. He was trying to keep the drunks from injuring the rest of ut.